ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-13-10, 04:09 AM
Jr Member

Superfocus is on a distinguished road
Question RITALIN: Potentiating good effects and minimizing side effects

Using just Ritalin is not good enough for my ADD. I take Ritalin 15mg every 3 hours (5 times a day) but planing to use 20mg every 4 hours (4 times a day).

I was stacking each dose with ALCAR, Magnesium, caffeine and a multivitamin tablet.

Ritalin makes me drowsy (zombie effect). Adding caffeine wakes me up. I use 60mg. It's the smallest working dose.

Magnesium helps to soft the wired and high blood pressure effect. I use 50mg (lactate salt)

ALCAR helps with energy and mind clarity but the bad news is that it builds up slowly and gives me a nasty anxiety.

I tried diminishing from 200mg to 150mg, 100mg and 50mg of ALCAR for each dose. Anxiety diminish but also good effects. These side effects bother me, so I quit cold turkey.

But I'm not yet satisfied with this stack: Ritalin + Magnesium + caffeine + multivitamin. I need to optimize mind clarity and energy levels.

What supplements do you use "to tune up" Ritalin ?
(PS: I cannot take Adderal)
Old 03-13-10, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,631 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RITALIN: Potentiating good effects and minimizing side effects

I would at least consider adding a good fish oil to the mix. I use a double strength Omega 3 & 6.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 03-14-10, 04:48 AM
Jr Member

Bacchus is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Look at the link below. Apparently taking zinc along with methylphenidate results in greater decreases in negative symptoms than using methylphenidate without it. Maybe you are already getting that from your multi-vitamamin though

http://adhd-treatment-options.blogsp...-ritalins.html
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

Personally, I think you might want to be more careful with the supplements. My doctor asked me to take fish oil and vitamin D along with my prescription for methylphenidate IR. He warned me about caffeine and told me to be cautious about taking other supplements. That advice has proved valuable to me.

I understand the rationale for your stack, but adding things like caffeine and ALCAR might make it really difficult to get the right benefit and figure out the dosing for your prescription.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to String For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-17-10), jiffyPOP (04-14-12), peripatetic (03-27-10)
Old 03-16-10, 06:23 PM
Jr Member

I tried Zinc gluconate (15 and 30mg daily). I makes me tired. I already take filsh oil. It would help in the long run.

I've just quit caffeine too. I tried theanine instead. Theanine increases GABA but also Dopamine (a little). It relax and potentiates Ritalin and take the zombie effect out. Great ! I don't need caffeine anymore to do that.

Optimal theanine dose for me is 200mg each time. (I take Ritalin every 3 hours 5 times a day).

I think stacking Ritalin with magnesium and theanine its the best way to kill anxiety and to potentiate Ritalin a little bit.

I am planning to retry dosing ALCAR. It used to help with mind clarity. Thanks to theanine, I hope anxiety will be out.

My target:

Great focus, good energy levels and peace of mind with no anxiety at all.
Old 03-17-10, 10:33 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Too drowsy? Perhaps you should try taking only 10mg of Ritalin at a time.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
weareacc (03-17-10)
Old 03-17-10, 12:23 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Too drowsy? Perhaps you should try taking only 10mg of Ritalin at a time.
I'm going to try this from tomorrow. Maybe even 5mg every 2 hours.

I seem to get an hour of anxiety when I take my first Ritalin, then one hour of something that may be better/worse than not taking Ritalin, then another hour of anxiety.
When I take my 2nd dose, It's a lottery as to whether I get the same again or I get a calm/drowsy/dreamy state.

I can't really tell from this whether I'm on too high a dose or too low- doesn't seem high enough to get any positives until the 2nd dose but lower doses give me less side-effects.

Going to add Zinc too.
Old 03-17-10, 01:22 PM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Superfocus, from what you have told us, I would run, not walk, back to the doctor who is supposed to be supervising your medication treatment and tell him what you have written here. If he doesn't think there is anything to be concerned about, find another doctor who knows more about medication and ADHD.

Phaedrus

Old 03-17-10, 04:13 PM
Jr Member

Angry The problem with my doctor...

The problem with my doctor is that he gives you a prescription and you shoud come back in a month. You cannot bother him before.

So, if the dosage is not working quite well, I should wait and tell him in the next appointement. In france there just 2 or 3 doctors that believe and treat Adult ADD.

But what should I do ? stay with anxiety and bad focus while waiting.

When I try a supplement, I read about it before trying. I have a bacherlor's degree in chemical operations. So I understand more less biochemistry.

I start with low doses. I am not a crazy weird kamikaze !
I just want to be normal. My ADD became worse these last years. (I am 38) and it was even impossible to read interesting books.

I feel better now, but i am not the man i used to be when I was younger. OK, even with ADD I was able to do things when motivated But now, even with motivation It is hard for me to keep my focus for hours and days. To work and planing you need sustained focus and not from time to time.

Well, i am convinced that stacking the right supplements with Ritalin will tune up the good effects: energy, focus, clarity and peace of mind.
Old 03-17-10, 05:13 PM
Jr Member

Lightbulb My Ritalin dosage and supplement's stack

The first time my doctor prescribed Ritalin LP 40mg + Ritalin 10mg in the afternoon. Very bad results. Ups, downs and crashes.

Next month (now): Ritalin 15mg every 3 hours, 5 times a day. Total 75mg.
It's better. I can manage dosage and timing.

Stacking Ritalin with supplements let me lowering each dose to 10mg.

Supplements that help me minimizing side effects:

• Magnesius lactate (50mg magnesium) to calm down.
  • Theanine. To fight anxiety, crash and maybe the zombie effect (100 to 200mg)
  • Multivitamins: To avoid lack of vitamins and minerals.

Supplements that help me optimize energy, focus and mind clarity.

• ALCAR. In fact, it was not the cause of my anxiety but caffeine)
  • DMAE, Vitamin B5, Raspberry ketones.

I am trying low doses with no noticeable side effects (100 to 200mg each).

Supplements that make feel bad. I avoid them.

• Caffeine (anxiety).
  • Green tea extract (anger)
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfocus For This Useful Post:
sambo88 (06-10-10)
Old 03-20-10, 10:22 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

i would stay away from the supplements you mentioned and sub
omega 3 fish oil plus maintain healthy diet.

unlike amphetamines. Ritalin absorption is stable and resistant to stomach condition (pH + other substitutes in your system)

one thing, magnesium at high doses causes diarrhea. its used as anti constipation like milk of magnesia

plus most of Mg is quickly eliminated and not absorbed especially in oxide form. for better absorption try the chelated form (Mg citrate).

PS: when you see the words "may, helps, reduce" separately or together. That's the manufacturing company saving their butt. Chances are their claims are incorrect. Its all marketing, placebo, and FDA absence that moves this stuff. What do they care. Supplement manufacturing is a huge industry. They have to spend millions to regulate it. PLUS, those manufacturers PAY TAX. FDA regulation means more headache and less tax money, and more unemployed benefits that they have to pay for people working for these companies if they force them to close for ineffective supplements.
Old 03-22-10, 07:21 PM

ferosh is on a distinguished road

does anyone use the long lasting with an instant release ritalin. i was wondering if this would help me. thanks
Old 03-23-10, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferosh View Post
does anyone use the long lasting with an instant release ritalin. i was wondering if this would help me. thanks
My daughter uses both because she is taking courses and working - long days need more coverage than the slow release can provide.

Phaedrus

Old 03-24-10, 06:45 PM

carriie will become famous soon enough

I've been on Ritalin for quite a whle. I prefer regular, non-generic Ritalin, rather than Concerta. I take 10 mg 3 times/day. When I up the dose, say to 20mg. I get tired, SUPER tired. More is not better, too little is sometimes agitating. It's unpredictable sometimes, depending on other stimulating intakes, food, etc.
I am totally convinced, more is NOT better.
.25 mg. Xanax as needed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carriie For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-25-10), SfumatoPants (03-24-10)
Old 03-25-10, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferosh View Post
I just realized I didn't clarify your question. Were you referring to taking a regular release Ritalin later in the day, after the slow release pill has worn off? That's what my daughter does when she needs to work in the evening.

I've never tried the extended/slow release forms of Ritalin, but do take a fourth dose of regular Ritalin if I need to in the evening if I have a class or meeting to attend.

Phaedrus