ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 03-14-10, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about
Concerta, Vyvanse dosing equivalents?

Is there any way to compare the dosage amounts for Concerta with Vyvanse? I know they are different drugs, but I'm just curioius. My 48lb 6.5 year old son was on 20 mg Vyvanse. Now he's started with 18 mg Concerta. It doesn't seem to have the same effect in terms of focus, and he has a period of extreme hyperactivity in the mornings (begins about an hour or so after taking the medication and lasts for a couple of hours). Then he calms down some, but he's still pretty energetic. He seems much happier on the Concerta than the Vyvanse, and his personality shows more.

Does this sound like the proper dose, or is the hyperactivity an indication that we should increase his dose? We were told to increase to 36 mg if 18mg isn't effective enough.

The true test will be how he does at school, but I hate to send him into school to have a bad day unnecessarily. I'm just curious what you make of this? Thanks!
Old 03-16-10, 10:35 PM

C.C. will become famous soon enough
Re: Concerta, Vyvanse dosing equivalents?

I think pretty much everyone starts on the 18mg and steps up. I am on my last day of taking 18mg. Tomorrow I take 2. My doc said I could step up every 3 days until I reached 3 pills in the morning. He said 18mg is a very low dose and it did not do much but make me sleepy.

I also went from 20mg if Vyvance (to 10mg Adderall) to 18mg Concerta...all within the past month. Vyvanse gave me an awful crash. Concerta has not done that to me yet...so far I am liking it much better than any of the others I have tried. It seems more smooth.

Last edited by C.C.; 03-16-10 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Took out a question Jen answered in her post..I should actually READ the post before replying!
The Following User Says Thank You to C.C. For This Useful Post:
JenSMP (03-16-10)
Old 03-16-10, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about
Re: Concerta, Vyvanse dosing equivalents?

Well, my son is on day 4 of Concerta, and the teacher says he's had the best two days of school he's ever had. So, I guess the 18 mg is working. I think it wears off a little early though, and that's not going to be good for his extracurricular activities and homework. We'll just have to see how it goes. The doctor wants us to observe him for another week, and then if it is still working well but wearing off too early, she'll give him a booster for afternoons when he needs to go a little longer. Thanks for your response!
Sponsored Links