ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-11, 10:29 PM

Looties is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall shortage??

I too had an experience around this "shortage".

I was recently moved from Ritalin to Adderall. I've been taking 15mg xr 2x pills 3x a day. (so 90mg daily - more or less as needed but not over 120mg a day).

I saw an article about the shortage on my Android device (I have articles related to ADHD, Ritalin, and Adderall, [and other topics i follow as well] automatically pulled to my phone's news app every 2 hours) - so I knew it was a possibility I could be effected.

I took in my 180 pill script to my pharmacy and they told me I could wait while they filled it (business as usual). 20 minutes later they came out and said that they were out but "should have some tomorrow - come back after 2:30pm".

The next day at around noon I received the phone call that the Adderall generic wouldn't be available for "2-4 weeks, maybe longer... Did I want my script back to try another pharmacy?". I asked if I went with the name-brand if I could get it sooner - and they said that could be there tomorrow. I then asked if it would run through my insurance / how much it would cost -luckily my co-pay went from 10 to only 20 dollars for that switch.

I'm only covered under my parent's insurance till December though - I'm out of graduate school now but I still haven't found employment (me and ~20-40 million others who are either still looking for have given up...)

Without insurance, the Adderall would have been 1500 dollars! That's like 3 months rent when I was living near campus! How can people afford this stuff without insurance? I've got 6 years worth of educational expenses, not to even consider other living expenses... Even the generic is usually over 500 dollars. Come December - I'm going to be in trouble if things don't improve in our political and economic system soon...
Male - 20-30 years old - Diagnosed May 2011 with ADHD-Inattentive type. Currently here to connect with others and learn more about myself and my 'condition', as well as try and help others do the same.

I appreciate any responses, positive or negative, to the comments I have made in my post above!

Also: Sorry I tend to over write for the posts on this forum. Most my writings are broken into paragraphs that the first sentence can be read and the rest skipped if you don't want the details~
Old 08-07-11, 03:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looties View Post
Without insurance, the Adderall would have been 1500 dollars! That's like 3 months rent when I was living near campus! How can people afford this stuff without insurance? I've got 6 years worth of educational expenses, not to even consider other living expenses... Even the generic is usually over 500 dollars. Come December - I'm going to be in trouble if things don't improve in our political and economic system soon...
Fortunately, if you find yourself without insurance, you can always switch to a comparable dose of IR instead of XR. Significantly more affordable.
Old 08-07-11, 04:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

pedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to all

Didn't know there was a shortage, but a couple months ago the pharmacist said they refilled with Brand name XR because they were out of generic. It made me realize how different the two are for what's supposed to be the same thing. Brand name takes longer to kick in but is far more effective. I've since asked for the brand name. Thank you shortage!
Old 08-22-11, 09:41 AM
Jr Member

aaron_c is on a distinguished road
Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

Is Adderall backordered across the nation or maybe just in my area? I've called every pharmacy in town and not a single one has any (IR). I assume I can't fill my prescription online either, right? I may be switching to something else next week when I completely run out but I was doing great on the current medication and school started back today so I'm pretty nervous about it.

Thanks

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: original thread merged into this thread
Old 08-22-11, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Shortage/Backorder

You said you called every pharmacy in town, have you already tried the next town over?

I haven't noticed any shortages where I live, but I'm new to adderall and only filled up once.
Old 08-25-11, 08:37 AM

deannalynne has a spectacular aura aboutdeannalynne has a spectacular aura about
Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

I keep seeing posts from people concerned with the apparent nationwide shortages of Adderall. So, for anyone still wondering about it, this is from the FDA website:
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/.../ucm050792.htm

Amphetamine Mixed Salts, ER Capsules (updated 7/12/2011)

Shire Pharmaceuticals
Shire Customer Service 1-800-828-2088

Adderall XR capsules:
5 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0381-01); 10 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0383-01); 15 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0385-01); 20 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0387-01); 25 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0389-01); 30 mg - 100 count (NDC 54092-0391-01)

Reason:
API supply issues and uneven product distribution patterns. Product availability has improved for all dosage strengths.

Related Information:
Shire Customer Service Number: 1-800-828-2088
Shire Pharmacy Locator Number: 1-800-828-2088
Select “Option 5” for assistance in locating a pharmacy in your area with product availability.

Teva Pharmaceuticals
Teva Customer Service: (888)838-2872

Generic Adderall 5 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0790-02); 10 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0787-02); 15 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0791-02); 20 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0788-02); 25 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0792-02); 30 mg - 100 count (NDC 00555-0789-02)

Reason:
API supply issues. Teva continue to release product as it becomes available.

Related Information:
Teva Customer Service: (888)838-2872

Global Pharmaceuticals
Global Customer Service: (215)558-4300

Generic Adderall 10 mg ,100 count (NDC 00115-1329-01); 15 mg, 100 count (NDC 00115-1330-01); 20 mg, 100 count (NDC 00115-1331-01); 25 mg, 100 count (NDC 00115-1332-01); 30 mg, 100 count (NDC 00115-1333-01)

Reason:
Inadequate finished product supply to support current market demand. All finished product strengths are currently available on an allocated basis.

Related Information:
Global Customer Service: (215)558-4300

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: original thread merged into this thread
The Following User Says Thank You to deannalynne For This Useful Post:
Slybfoxx (11-12-11)
Old 08-27-11, 03:26 AM

John D. is on a distinguished road
ReAdderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

What's going to happen with the shortage?? I don't have insurance, and have been taking 3x10mgs per day of the generic Barr for the past 1.5 years. I don't really know how these generics work compared to the name brands, but you can't beat the price at Costco. I was paying less then $30 for 90 of the 10mgs (one month supply), but today the price went up to over $130!! They said there was a nationwide shortage...CVS is over $80 for the script with the "California" discount, but they were completely out!! They even called four of the nearby CVS stores, and they were all out! Tomorrow I will try Walmart and some other pharmacies, but how long with this "shortage" last and how serious is this??

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: thread merge
Old 08-27-11, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

I had no problem refilling a few weeks ago, hope I don't have a problem this coming week!

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: thread merge
Old 08-27-11, 11:44 AM

Thanked 15,256 Times in 7,208 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

I know it's not a comfort to those who are having trouble getting
scripts filled, but it's not just stimulant meds that in short supply.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/running_out_of_common_drugs_vW3vnAYadmq2qJ7eL3hjYO
Quote:
Stranger still, the problem isn’t with new, complex drugs that are hard to make; it’s with routine products: saline solution, antibiotics, sedatives, epinephrine and morphine -- supplies found in every emergency room.

There is no single cause; it’s a combination of economic, technological, regulatory and geographic factors.

Virtually all the scarce medications are generics -- drugs whose patents have expired. Many have low profit margins, giving companies little incentive to make them. Plus, nearly all are sterile injectables, whose production requires stringent and specialized purification techniques.

Some drugs are made by just one company, which can discontinue them at will. Although drug makers must notify the FDA in advance when they anticipate a critical shortage, they can’t be forced to make anything.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/default.htm
Quote:
FDA recognizes the significant public health consequences that can result from drug shortages and takes tremendous efforts within its legal authority to address and prevent drug shortages. These shortages occur for many reasons, including manufacturing and quality problems, delays, and discontinuations.

FDA is aware that in 2010 there was a record number of shortages and in 2011 FDA has continued to see an increasing number of shortages, especially those involving older sterile injectable drugs.

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: merge
Old 08-27-11, 04:33 PM

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

I went to fill my prescription and they are out??

and they don't know when they will get more in??

do you think it's because area schools are back in session...

it's just weird.

ok, gotta go hunt up meds at another pharmacy.
“I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.”
-George Carlin

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 02:00 AM..
Old 08-27-11, 04:40 PM

TheVision is on a distinguished road
Re:Adderall IR & XR shortages for 2010 through 2011

look up adderall shortage, its been running low since earlier this year. Were you getting XR or IR? Was it a major chain or smaller pharmacy? Alot of major meds have been in short supply due to the current financial state and the low profit margin these generic companies receive for there product. Pretty messed up if you think about it, the true state of our economy is really starting to shine.

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 02:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVision For This Useful Post:
Impetus (08-27-11)
Old 08-27-11, 04:52 PM

Thanked 15,256 Times in 7,208 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you've been distracted by work issues. There have been about a
dozen threads started in the last few months about the Adderall shortage.
I posted some links in a thread today about how it's not just Adderall and
not just stimulant meds. There is a widespread shortage of meds,
especially the ones that have gone generic.

Last edited by BR549; 11-11-11 at 02:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Impetus (08-27-11)
Old 08-27-11, 04:56 PM

Thanked 6,761 Times in 3,365 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I use Rite Aid pharmacy and have had to go elsewhere the last two times due to them being out. The small independent pharmacy was also out. CVS was able to fill it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Impetus (08-27-11)
Old 08-27-11, 05:38 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

For Adderall XR, I think you're more likely to find brand name in stock vs. generic. Depending on the state, you may be required to have your doctor rewrite your prescription in order to get brand name as insurance companies may be allowed to refuse filling of brand-name if a generic is available (even if not in stock) and the prescription does not explicitly request brand-name. I believe in some states, the insurance companies can even override this.

In these types of situations, you may want to resist the urge to have a pharmacy partially fill your prescription. If you do, and the rest is not obtainable within 72 hours of this, you forfeit the rest of the prescription (federal law). In theory, this isn't a big deal, because your doctor should be able to write you a new prescription for the quantity not dispensed. In practice, it seems that not everyone is knowledgeable in the rules of schedule II prescriptions, and some insurance hassles could also present themselves.

Hopefully, your doctor is willing to help you work through this issue if necessary.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
Impetus (08-27-11), Unmanagable (08-27-11)
Old 08-27-11, 07:25 PM

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

I finally found it.

I usually get Core Pharma,Teva makes me twitchy. I ended up with Barr.

Couldn't find Shire anywhere.... guess the junkies hogged all that up.

we live in a rural area, so it probably took longer to hit us.

but i don't understand how this is a reflection of the economy.... i looked it up, the DEA wouldn't release ingredients last fall. *confused*
“I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.”
-George Carlin

Closed Thread