ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-19-10, 01:11 PM

williet65 is on a distinguished road
Anyone tried Adderall and Tums ?

My afternoon booster, adderall 10mg, has lost its effectiveness.

Instead of asking my doc for a stronger dose, have anyone tried taking it with an antacid or other alkalizing agent?

Although Shire states that alkaline urine does reduce renal elimination of amphetamines by as much as 75%, does that mean eating tums makes it work better?

Shire also says, "[alkalinizing] agents increase blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines" and that "Co-administration of ADDERALL XR and gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents, such as antacids, should be avoided."
Old 03-19-10, 01:32 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice
Re: Anyone tried Adderall and Tums ?

i tried tums did not feel the difference. I guess cause it takes time to dissolve. Maybe if you take an hour earlier.

Best I use club soda (let it set for have an hour) until it stop bubbling (gets flat). Should be slightly alkaline and makes adderall works faster.

Its not a potent and toxic alkalizing agent. But you get more bang for your buck out of adderall. It also lessens hurt burn caused by adderall if taken on an empty stomach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
williet65 (03-19-10)
Old 03-19-10, 02:10 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice

I did this by accident once when I had heartburn (I didn't know yet about adderall and stomach acidity at the time, so I popped a Tums without giving it a thought).

Be careful! Not realizing what I had done, I was practically knocked OUT by the sudden surge of adderall in my system. It was the only time I ever got (what I guess you'd call) "high" from it. So watch out!

Aside from safety issues, another practical concern is that (if I understand correctly) the increased effectiveness of the medication after taking Tums or Rolaids is due to the fact that more of it is being absorbed into your body (which would explain why my usual dose was suddenly feeling like a mega-dose)

This could mean increased tolerance- which isn't good.

Also, be sure to look up the effects of taking Tums on a regular basis when you don't have heart burn (I don't know, but make sure it wouldn't harm your natural ability to balance acid/pH).

I have chronic heart burn (or acid reflux or whatever) so I had to switch to a Prilosec type drug to avoid too much of that antacid effect on medication...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-10, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

dviper785 is on a distinguished road

DON'T do this with XR capsules! I did it by accident once and had the worst headache of my entire life!
Old 03-19-10, 11:03 PM

DRANSWORLD is on a distinguished road

I take Rolaids everyday with my adderall.... it makes a small but noticeable difference in my opinion.
Old 03-20-10, 03:25 AM

annamarie has a spectacular aura aboutannamarie has a spectacular aura about

Nope, did not notice any difference with tums.
Old 03-25-10, 06:55 AM

dylanBurkey is on a distinguished road

Did not notice a thing taking tums.
Old 03-25-10, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Derven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the rough

Use caution. Trying to get more bang for your buck can be dangerous, as you have no way of controlling how much of an effect it might have. Blood concentration levels might get too high if you are not careful.

~Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Derven For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-25-10)
Old 03-28-10, 02:15 PM

begreen0 will become famous soon enough

Anyone else notice an effect from this? I mean how much could it possibly amplify things....say you take a tum 45 mins before 10 mg adderall....would you say it would feel more like a 15mg adderall normally would, or more?
Old 03-28-10, 06:19 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by begreen0 View Post
Anyone else notice an effect from this? I mean how much could it possibly amplify things....say you take a tum 45 mins before 10 mg adderall....would you say it would feel more like a 15mg adderall normally would, or more?
I didn't get much out of it personally. I think if I drank my coffee then took tums then took my meds, it would help offset the coffee's acidity, but now I just take my morning dose right when I wake up and it's probably fairly dissolved by time I start drinking my coffee.

I really never noticed a great enough of an effect to continue eating those nasty tums. I tried it because I had the most boring 11 hour days at my old job, and it seemed no amount of Adderall could keep me alert and productive, even when I was just starting on it.

I was also concerned that if I kept taking tums before taking my meds, then I'd probably have to take tums for the medication to seem effective every day. Eventually that would get old, wouldn't it?
Old 03-28-10, 07:21 PM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

Tried the tums many times, has never worked so far (not sure why I'm still trying it though).

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
Old 03-29-10, 12:44 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice

I should add to what I said before that I DO take Rolaids if I actually have heartburn. (I try to take as little as possible, though). If I swallow an Adderall tablet while suffering from heartburn, I might as well have just flushed that tablet down the toilet- 'cuz it isn't going to absorb at all (or so it seems).
My strategy for managing my emotions is to just continue tamping them down deeper into the glowing ball of white-hot rage at the center of my soul until one day.... SNAP! But until that day, eeeeeeeeeeeverything's fine.

If I seem normal to you, it's only because my undisciplined impulsivity is being counter-balanced by my crippling self-doubt.
Old 03-29-10, 01:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

Tums should make a difference theoretically. Peoples experiences certainly seem to differ as can be seen by this thread but that could be due to a variety of factors such as when the tums was taken, what was eaten, etc etc. In order for antacids to be effective they need to have a bit of time to work, so tums should be taken 30min-1hour prior to taking the Adderall. It's essentially useless if they were taken at the same time. I wouldn't really recommended this method since the increased uptake will also probably increase tolerance, and therefore in the long run it won't really have any benefits. Plus, as others have said, it could potentially lead to unpleasant experiences.

Not sure if you've tried this but try taking the booster on an empty stomach. Often times eating food for me reduces the effectiveness of adderall.
"There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being." -Albert Einstein
Old 04-01-10, 04:34 PM
Jr Member

bbsmith7777 is on a distinguished road

I've wondered about the tums idea, but never tried it. All I can say is if you ever think you took too much or it's acting too strongly for any reason, if you have access to a blood pressure cuff, I'd take it right then just to see if it's in your normal range. I don't know how much it would take to do this, but if your blood pressure is too high for any reason, you can have a stroke. I know that's probably the worst case scenario, but for whatever it's worth...