ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-20-10, 07:37 PM

Jerome_Morrow has a spectacular aura aboutJerome_Morrow has a spectacular aura about
Drug Testing and Adderall

Considering Adderall is an amphetamine (and Ritalin is a form of meth), do these drugs show up on drug tests that might be given by an employer? I'm wondering because I think my chances of getting a job would be higher if I accidentally forgot to mention that I have ADD and am taking medication for it...

Ethics aside, does anyone know anything about this?
Old 03-20-10, 10:21 PM

Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,806 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drug Testing and Adderall

I don't know if they would show up, but you are asked about any medications you are taking before you get a drug test, so as long as they are disclosed, and if found in your system are the proper level for your prescription, I don't see how it would be a problem.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (04-16-10)
Old 03-25-10, 09:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Yes, they do show up in a drug test.

As far as how to deal with it, that depends on how the company does its drug testing. The first time I had to do a drug test for a job, I had to bring in my prescriptions for the nurse to write down on my paperwork.

However, for the more recent drug test, I was told not to bring in any prescription information at the time of testing. A few days after my test, I was contacted by the lab's doctor and asked to provide the prescription information (since the Adderall did show up). It was no big deal. I do not think they reported my prescription information to my employer - since my information about the Adderall prescription "checked out" with the doctor, it was not an issue.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-10, 08:50 AM

JAC1968 will become famous soon enough

It is likely that they will show up depending on how many "panels" are being tested.
(types of drug classes etc.)

How it works at my company is that the lab that administers the tests will call the employee about the results and request a valid, current prescription for the drug that triggered the positive result. Assuming all is legit, no problems.
Old 03-30-10, 03:36 PM

Tiggertoo28 is on a distinguished road

Actually, it really depends on the company running the test and what the thresholds that are agreed to with the hiring company. I've been taking some form of Adderall and/or Ritalin for about 11 years now and have been through about four different employment drug screens, so here's what I have seen.

Yes - there is the definite possibility that it will show up in the drug screen. In three out of four of the screens I did, it showed up. The fourth was a quick version (urine test instead of blood) and only about 1 hour after I took the medicine, and it didnt' show up. Dosage, time between when you took the pills and when you took the tests and your overall absorption rate for the medicine will affect the amount that show up in the screen. My first test, it was flagged becuase the tech forgot to send the prescription with the sample. My employer simply told me there was an issue and to call the employment screening group. My employer refused to talk about it or take the prescription from me because of HIPPA and told me I had to deal directly with the screening company. The end result was classified as "clean".

Be prepared when you go for the test to bring the label from your prescription bottle with you and give it to the person administering the test. Keep an extra copy of the same label in your files so you can reproduce it if the tech fails to send the information.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that due to HIPAA, they can't disclose any results from your testing that are attributed to a valid prescription. They can only say that there were no illegal drugs detected, or there were illegal drugs detected and the type/amount. If you don't provide them with the prescription, it will flag the result as an illegal drug.

Actually, since it's almost definite (i'm still not *quite* sure how it didn't show up in the last screen) that it WILL show up in the drug screen, you're more likely to not get the job if you "forget" that you're taking ADD medication. There actually other reasons for taking it (not ADD), and as long as you have a valid prescription, it's really NONE of your potential employer's business what you're taking the medication for.

Just my two cents *grin*.

Heather
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggertoo28 For This Useful Post:
Jerome_Morrow (11-09-11)
Old 04-09-10, 01:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

recently got a job...also didn't mention i had add and am taking medication...

thought I could just mention it to the drug testers and not my employers but then the nurse said I would have to inform them if the test came out positive for speed..but she gave pitty and wrote a note on my drug test though she wasn't supposed to apparently?

i start on monday...hoping i wont go in there and they say I am no longer hired because I failed the drug test...we'll see though...seems like they would have called or emailed.
Old 04-09-10, 07:21 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

I don't get tested here but I also don't mention the ADHD. Too many people think it's just laziness or a lack of discipline.

If they have some 'disclosure' clause in the fine print you might want to know about that up front but my instinct is to not disclose unless it means saving the job.
Old 04-16-10, 05:04 PM

aesthticatclysm will become famous soon enough

here's a good bit of know how...
if you would like to not let your employer know about your private medical history and you feel that the stigmas surrounding our disorder will negatively impact your chances and opportunities and treatment in the workplace due to unlawful discrimination, you can always cheat the drug test.

I feel that these tests are junk science and provide too many false positives because they are looking for the metabolized byproducts of any number of substances that can provide a result. Not to say that they aren't a good thing for say, somebody on probation or that they don't serve a purpose, but if you are HONESTLY not taking anything illegal and have no problems with substance abuse, I see no ethical reason for your employers to test you. I think for an honest, clean, responsible person, it's a violation of personal privacy.

Amphetamines like Methylphenidate and Dextroamphetamine are water soluble, and metabolize extremely quickly. Do not take your medication for 24-48 hours, drink plenty of water, and take some b vitamins to make your urine more yellow. Grab some niacin and take that too, it speeds your metabolism. If you are diluting, your urine will be low on creatinine, a metabolite of creatine. If you are worried about a false positive enough to go further, a detox drink that you can buy at a head shop, when the instructions are followed correctly contains everything that needs to be in your pee in large enough amounts so that while you are diluting, it looks like you are not. These WILL beat the pee test for our medications. I have done it successfully with every job I have ever been screened prior to because my medical history is NOT my employer's business and I don't want to be discriminated against or risk not getting a job just because people don't believe in ADHD.

You will want to avoid taking any and all cold medications, anti-inflamatories, anything before you take your test for at least a few days if you can, just to be safe. Some anti-inflammatory meds can show false positive for Marijuana on certain tests.
Jerome_Morrow (11-09-11)