ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 03-26-10, 09:40 AM
Jr Member

_mml_ is on a distinguished road
Arrow Experience after 2 weeks on Wellbutrin XL

Hi all,

I've been on Wellbutrin XL (actually Budeprion XL, 150mg for the first 4 days, 300mg since) for 2 weeks and thought I'd share my experiences.

I was prescribed WB because I'm suffering from dysthymia (== mild, but prolonged depression) that's been going on at least 4 years. My ADD was also unmedicated when I went to pdoc. His hope was that WB might work on both.
  1. Mood. The effects on mood, energy, feeling "awake", motivation, lack of guilty feelings, etc. have been undeniable. In the first few days at each dose, I had brief periods of euphoric joy, but that has subsided. Still, I am much more able to take pleasure in everyday activities than I was before, I am exercising a lot, and I feel pretty good.
  2. ADHD. ADHD improvements have been subtle if they are there at all. Distractability, concentration, and starting on boring tasks are all still weak points for me. Pdoc suggests we give 300mg another week to work and then try 450mg, which is what we'll do. I'd love to hear anybody's experience at a 450mg daily dose.
  3. Decreased Migraines. Weird, but my migraines are less frequent, shorter, and less intense on WB. I'll take it!
  4. Side effects.
    1. Sleep. Sleep was already an issue for me. Sleep has gotten worse with WB, but I have heard this tends to smooth out after week 3. For now, Xanax helps this tremendously.
    2. Irritability. I have had outsized anger in response to minor events. Considering I have been an emotional zero much of the time before this, I almost consider this a benefit belonging under mood. :) It has not been a huge problem.
    3. Anxiety. I have had more, but briefer, episodes of anxiety. On WB, I feel more compelled to calm myself down rather than stick with the anxious circle of thoughts.
Hope this is helpful for someone.
℞..Adderall, Adderall XR, Strattera, Lunesta, Ambien CR, Wellbutrin XL
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _mml_ For This Useful Post:
amelia42188 (07-20-10), BrokenMirrors (06-27-10), lawnchairpilot (04-17-10), Possum (06-26-10)
Old 04-19-10, 07:25 PM
Contributor

Tabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to all
Re: Experience after 2 weeks on Wellbutrin XL

It is helpful for me - I'm considering a trial of Wellbutrin (have had ongoing depression for years, anxiety, and ADD). It seems logical to give it a try, esp. when my current regimen isn't doing too well for me.

Thanks for the post - makes me feel a bit more confident about asking to give it a try.

Dx at 38: ADD w/depression, anxiety & severe sense of humor
Old 04-20-10, 12:19 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
What worked best for me was the wellb at 150mg sr and that was to take the edge off the burnout of the vyvanse at the end of the day.
We are all different...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about

I have been on WB XL 150mg for several months now, and I can definitely tell a difference in mood and motivation/energy. I had all of the side effects (irritability, sleeplessness, anxiety) that you mentioned when I was taking a generic version. I actually got it at Walgreen's, and it's manufactured by Actavis.

I switched to the name brand, and from day one, the side effects stopped completely. I've also had a smoother, more natural benefit. More focused, more motivated, no irritability, no sleeplessness, and no anxiety.

Now, several months later, I can tell the energy/motivation and mood benefits I have had with the 150mg XL are not as pronounced. I am considering increasing to 300mg XL, but I'm reluctant. I tried doing that at the beginning before I switched to the name brand, and it was not good. One day (about a week after taking 300mg) I actually had trouble thinking clearly and couldn't perform my job. I couldn't even do simple math. It was crazy and scary. I might have just increased too quickly because not long after returning to the 150mg and sticking with the name brand, the medication starting working wonders. I'm hoping that if I do increase to 300mg now, that I will not have that problem since I've now been on the 150mg for a while. By the way, I am 5'3" and weigh 100lbs, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on the dosage I need.

Anyone have any idea about when to know it's time to increase? Good luck, and I hope you have the same success with WB as I have. You might want to consider name brand if possible.

Last edited by JenSMP; 05-04-10 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-10, 11:01 AM

SmallTownGirl is on a distinguished road

hey... just thought I'd chime in... I've been on Wellbutrin SR (generic) for about two weeks now, 150 mg twice a day... which equals about 300. When I increased my dose after the first few days, I didn't have that bad of side effects at all, but I know it varies person to person. You could try it. Wellbutrin was suprisingly easy (so far) to transition into, not too bad side effects, and my energy level's a little higher, and there's a little lift in my depression, like it's beginning to start working. For focus and motivation.... not so much... and for anxiety, very little, but for me at 300 mg a day it doesn't feel like too much at all. I'm 5'5, 120 lbs btw if that helps.

I've been having vivid dreams since being on the med though... but not nightmares or anything, I can handle that fine.

My short term memory seems a little worse, although it could have been the same from before starting the med... I dunno.

Oh... and there's irritability and edginess... although I had that problem since before starting the med, but the med hasn't helped that yet.

I def. don't feel "drugged" or bad on 300 mg a day though... I feel almost like my moods are starting to lift.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGirl For This Useful Post:
amelia42188 (07-20-10)
Old 05-05-10, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

markadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nicemarkadd is just really nice

I've been on Wellbutrin for two weeks now myself(generic-Teva) 150mgs , no side effects to complain about really. On the plus side my energy level is up a little(not to much), also my mood seems to be alittle better. The biggest thing I have noticed is it is easier to get out of bed in the morning which is a huge help... always had hard time with that especially for work. Not much change for my ADD symptoms though.

I want to go up to 300mgs to see if that helps more, also try a stimulant again... was on concerta but did not like it(made me more Interverted and lots of irritability). Tried the concerta with the Wellbutrin but didn't like it(same problems).

Want to try Adderall with the Wellbutrin... read alot of posts that said that was a good combination for ADHD-I(which I am).

We will see... I go back to my doctors in two days... I'm getting so tied of trying different meds. and doses. Just want to find something that works... I really need a break for my ADHD symptoms. This is so fustraighting!
Old 05-06-10, 10:48 AM
Contributor

Tabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to all

Markadd, I'm having almost the exact same response you are having. Easier to get up, etc. I also feel a little less anxious, which is great.

I've just gone up to 225mg, & the plan is to go the 300mg. Right now, I'm just on the regular, but will be switching to XL version (can't wait for once a day - taking it throughout the day bites).

I'm going to ask my doc about adding a small amount of Adderall to it...

again, thanks to _mml_ for the original post, which helped me decide to ask about adding Wellbutrin.
Old 05-06-10, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

what's up peeps... I have taken concerta for the longest time, was on ritalin and then went to concerta. i do think it helps but I feel I need a break from it. I was on 126mg of concerta with no problems but I just got tired of it so I'm down to 36mg today and I stay there for awhile and then just start back on ir ritalin. I think the ir aside from some of the ups and downs is just more reliable on an hour by hour basis regarding you know when its working and not working. I may try adderall with the wellbutrin here in the next few weeks. I am taking my time and lowering my doses and trying to see if I can find something besides a high dose of concerta to help me with my adhd. I think the wellbutrin helps me be more confident and more social while ritalin can cause some introversion issues which is a side effect but I don't think it's helpful other than if you have to focus on something and learn in the short run. Other than that my adhd is kinda sucky but I can skate by on lower doses if I need to... I think maybe adderall may be next once I scale down for a bit and reset my receptors from a a higher dose. I do think I require higher doses but I also think that I have found ir meds to work a little bit better, but wellbutrin does seem to really help me.
Old 05-08-10, 01:48 PM
Contributor

Yep, it's tricky trying to find that combo that works. I like some things about the Wellbutrin already, but still waiting for it to really kick in (we just switched to the XL & increased to 300mg). Just have to be patient sometimes - not one of my strengths
Old 05-10-10, 07:22 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

for me xl was not strong enough but bc it is longer acting. it caused insomnia. SR was much better for me.
Old 06-26-10, 01:46 PM

teapot100 is on a distinguished road

I've been on Budeprion XL for 3 weeks now, 1 week @ 150 mg and the past almost 2 weeks @ 300 mg (once/day). I feel like the meds have definitely lessened my irritability and anxiety - I'm feeling more balanced over all. However, I've seen little improvement in terms of attention. For example, yesterday I sat and listened to a storyteller at the library yesterday with my kids and I couldn't pay attention at all to what the guy was saying. Got so antsy and this isn't any different, for better or worse, from before I started the meds. I'm pretty sure I've got the inattentive subtype of ADHD, not officially diagnosed, but my doctor was willing to try me out on meds. Also, hair loss has been an issue since I started the meds! I am quite sure it's not coincidental and that it's med-related.