ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-31-10, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Darkangel001 will become famous soon enough
Fed up of student mentioning topics are 'hard'

K don't know if anyone else has gone through this. I find it exceptionally hard to start anything that involves making notes. I don't know why- I found a method to help me, I know it works and I KNOW why I can't!!

It's because people always talk about topics and how 'hard' they are- so even when I am going through something on my own that I think I can handle- for some reason- it just bloody puts me off

I don't know how to shut it out? This is ok- if I start work when I start on work- and am in a workable mood- and just get on with it- the problem arises when I get stressed back from Uni- relax and then people keep mentioning how hard stuff is > My bf talks to me every day- we do the same course and bless him- he does it as well which irritates me to no end- I should tell him- but he is always so supportive- so I dont think it would be fair to tell him to stop telling how hard stuff is?

SO here I am having to do the entire visual system by tmw, anatomy physiology and all still not having started despite having had my book open for 2 hours- which is better than this week when I just had it closed

Does anyone have any advice they can give me on this

Thank you

Darkangel001
Old 03-31-10, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Darkangel001 will become famous soon enough
Re: Fed up of student mentioning topics are 'hard'

Finally started- doing quite well so far- the day before I am meant to know all of this in typical ADD style. This could have been done a lot earlier. This problem is very difficult, especially in a course where everyone tries to put everyone off and goes off to do their own work anyway >
Old 03-31-10, 04:41 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,118 Times in 12,776 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's kind of a "misery loves company" kind of thing. Just ignore it! part of you seems to want to learn these subjects.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (03-31-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-10, 06:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has the right to vent, and we can never truly judge whether someone else's struggle is greater than ours. If they are speaking to you, just say something like "Yeah I know! In fact, I better get back to work." and leave it at that. Don't let it get under your skin.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
Covenant (04-02-10), Crazygirl79 (03-31-10)
Old 03-31-10, 08:14 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,111 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

As RHW said people have a right to vent and discuss their difficulties and you need to show more empathy! all you have to do is listen a little and then go back to your own work.

As for your difficulty in making notes, perhaps a note taker (small tape recorder type thing) might be helpful to you??? have you also considered chatting to a guidance counsellor about this???

Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel001 View Post
K don't know if anyone else has gone through this. I find it exceptionally hard to start anything that involves making notes. I don't know why- I found a method to help me, I know it works and I KNOW why I can't!!

It's because people always talk about topics and how 'hard' they are- so even when I am going through something on my own that I think I can handle- for some reason- it just bloody puts me off

I don't know how to shut it out? This is ok- if I start work when I start on work- and am in a workable mood- and just get on with it- the problem arises when I get stressed back from Uni- relax and then people keep mentioning how hard stuff is > My bf talks to me every day- we do the same course and bless him- he does it as well which irritates me to no end- I should tell him- but he is always so supportive- so I dont think it would be fair to tell him to stop telling how hard stuff is?

SO here I am having to do the entire visual system by tmw, anatomy physiology and all still not having started despite having had my book open for 2 hours- which is better than this week when I just had it closed

Does anyone have any advice they can give me on this

Thank you

Darkangel001
Old 04-02-10, 06:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

Covenant has a spectacular aura aboutCovenant has a spectacular aura about

Although I agree with the upper statements that it's better to just be or at least pretend to be empathic and then get back to work I must say that I totally feel what you mean.

From the looks of it you are studying Medicine? I do the same thing, but on the other side of the sea and people are exactly the same. Really sometimes I think 3/4 of their burden comes from complaining and making one another believe that it's hard. And it's usually not in my opinion, granted that there's a fair chance I'm a bit brighter than some of my classmates though. So I'm always wondering, is it really that hard, are they just making one another crazy. In my opinion especially medicine is just not really that hard to get, but just mainly a lot of things to remember.
Old 04-03-10, 02:04 AM

westsida will become famous soon enough

As for others venting ... that's just gonna happen.

But as for getting work done - when I was in college, I had to work in spurts and take frequent breaks. When writing a paper, I would write a page, have a snack, write another page, take a walk, write another page, etc etc.

When taking notes in class, it wasn't too bad cause it gave me something to do when the professor was droning on and on and on. Sometimes I would write with my left hand (I'm right handed!) to see how well I could do it, or just doodle in the margins.

As for studying ... I had to take breaks too. Man I would wander up and down the halls of the dorms. People probably thought I was crazy... . Reading and studying was BOOOOORING but I could get through it by setting a small goal (make it to this page) and then taking a break.

ADHD makes things hard ... but what is hard for me is easy for others, and some things that are hard for others is easy for me. I try to listen when people vent - because often when I need a chance to blow steam, they will listen and help me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westsida For This Useful Post:
Covenant (04-03-10), Crazygirl79 (04-03-10)
Old 04-03-10, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Henri J has a spectacular aura aboutHenri J has a spectacular aura about

Although I can appreciate venting and being supportive... it really ****es me off when the other person is always complaining about how hard everything is. It's hard for everyone. Sometimes, it is fair to remind him of such and to quit his whining while you are trying to concentrate.

I had a partner that was very emotional often and some days I just couldn't take it. I had to tell her it wasn't her day to cry, it was mine. She would recognize that I needed care on that day. "Today is my day" was our code.

Don't give up. You can do it. Do what you need to do to be successful.

H
Old 04-04-10, 01:38 PM

Shmeepod has a spectacular aura aboutShmeepod has a spectacular aura about

Take comfort in the fact that sometimes ADD gives you an unusual skill set so that sometimes things that are very hard for other people might be easy for you.
This also means that sometimes things that are easy for other people might be hard for you.

For example: I aced intro chemistry and organic chemistry with no problem, but I got tripped on a question about molecular shape because I forgot which way was clockwise. And there was a clock in the room.