ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-06-10, 11:29 AM

Brick Majors is on a distinguished road
Weird Ear Pressure/Popping

Been taking 10mg 3-4 times a day now for about 5 years...About 2 months ago I had my first panic attack while driving and thought I was having a heart attack, etc. Everything checked out and I was fine.

Long story short I had a few more mild attacks which weren't bad since I knew that they weren't heart attacks so I decided to try Adderall XR, to see if it could ease with the ups and downs that could be causing my attacks. Along with this my doctor gave me a rx for xanax to use if I start to get an attack coming on.

After only 2 weeks of taking the xr I started experiencing non-stop ear pressure, worse than the type that come from colds. I have constant jaw clicking and all of the other methods that you use to "unpop" ears. It was starting to get really bad and nothing I tried would make it better. Since then I've gone back to my original prescription of straight 10mg x 3-4/day. The ear popping hasn't gone away.

Any ideas on what this is? Was it the xr or is it the combo of xanax and adderall?

I'm desperate for any help at all since this has been driving me crazy for about 2 months now and the ENT doctor saw nothing wrong. I feel that it has to be a reaction from the xanax and adderall but I only take the xanax maybe 3 days out of a week.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 04-06-10, 01:22 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Weird Ear Pressure/Popping

Had something exactly like this on Strattera but it went away eventually. In my case it was more in the left ear than the right.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Brick Majors (04-06-10)
Old 04-06-10, 01:56 PM
Jr Member

dragongue76 is on a distinguished road

This is just a stab in the dark but could you be clinching your teeth and putting alot more strain on your jaw than normal and not be noticing it? If so maybe that has an something to do with your ear.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragongue76 For This Useful Post:
Brick Majors (04-06-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-10, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

IMO it sounds like you are experiencing "Tinnitus" which can be caused from the Adderall. Also, anxiety can cause tinnitus; furthermore, Adderall causes anxiety.

Since Adderall contains l-amphetamine the effects on the circulatory system are greater.

I would say the Xanax is not interfering with the Adderall.

"Tinnitus" is also treated with low doses of benzodiazepines.
The Following User Says Thank You to twinch42085 For This Useful Post:
Brick Majors (04-06-10)
Old 04-06-10, 02:31 PM

Brick Majors is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys! It's just crazy because before I tried the XR and xanax, I had no problems whatsoever and now that I'm back on the regulars it's still there.

The only reason I thought it may be the xanax is because it seems to be the only thing that makes it any better. But the day after I usually take the xanax it's usually worse.

Also it's not really a teeth grinding issue, since it seems to be a pressure right on the back of my head and in the ear area.

Twinch,
I'll look into the tinnitus issue though, and check out benzodiazepines. I've tried benadryl and some other things to no avail.
Old 04-06-10, 02:54 PM
Contributor

k31kozumi has a spectacular aura aboutk31kozumi has a spectacular aura about

sounds like muscle tension to me...check jaw/neck muscles i bet they're really tight. anxiety does this to people.
Old 09-09-13, 04:19 AM

Summerchan is on a distinguished road

Hi Brick Majors,

just wondered if you had resolved this ear pressure problem? and if so how? I am experiencing the same thing - going through the titration period with various types of methylphenidate. Started on the instant release and that was okayish for around 3 months, but because of mood crashes my doc tried me on Concerta XL. Within a couple of weeks started to experience ear problems (thought I had an ear infection initially) and then thought it might be to do with TMJ through bruxism / clamping down on my teeth. However, even after a couple of weeks break from Concerta, when I tried to go back to the meds that I was taking before (that didn't cause any ear problems), I can't seem to get rid of the ear stuff. Like you, it feels like a combination of ear pressure, but also pain in front of ear where the joint is and weird tension just behind the jaw (if you follow your jaw bone to the place that it starts to go up towards the ear) with head ache. The only way I can describe it is like sucking a lemon whilst being in a plane that is taking off and you can't pop your ears. It is sooooooo annoying. I have seen an ENT ("nothing wrong") and recently went to a myofascial clinic ("TM joint is structurally fine so go away").

It is definitely is brought on by the meds, but even on days that I don't take them its there to a lesser degree. I just wanted to know if you ever resolved your problem? The meds help me so much so would like to continue taking them but this low level constant pain is really starting to be hard to live with. Also, even if I decide to just "live with it", am I doing any damage long term....

Also, I found an interesting possible link whilst reading the research, with Concerta, Bruxism, TMJ and Tourettes... some fascinating stuff out there...

Any answers or comments gratefully received...
Old 09-09-13, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,689 Times in 5,926 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree that muscle tension and jaw clenching are probably what's affecting people's ear canals.

Once you have increased the habitual level of tension, it is very slow to go away - that's why a day off medication only helps a little bit if at all.

Have you tried keeping your jaw open, inside your closed lips? Put on a "slack-jawed, stupid expression" - but try not to look stupid while doing that.