ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 04-07-10, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

innaminute will become famous soon enough
Question Alternatives to Vyvanse?

So, tonight I had my medicine appointment and because of my increased heartrate, my doctor was going to take me down from 30mg of Vyvanse to 20mg. I went to get the prescription filled and they told me that my insurance would not cover it. That I needed to try something else like Adderall. Even though my insurance covered it last time, they didn't this time.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am taking Adderall. I mean, if the Vyvanse is making my heart rate go up, wouldn't the Adderall do the same thing?

My doctor said that he'd call my insurance company when he could and to just take the 30mg. Honestly, I'm a little scared to keep taking the 30mg because I'm sick of my heart pounding. But, I digress...

If they do not approve the medication, are there any alternatives to Vyvanse aside from Adderall, which last the entirety (or at least the majority) of the day? And, any that are "gentler" on the heart?

I've been researching Concerta, but I'm not sure what to think.

Also, I have been on:

Strattera - BAD BAD BAD For me - Bloody noses caused by increased blood pressure.
Provigil - Also gave me some increased heart rate, but not nearly as "intense" in that department. And, it didn't seem to work well for the ADHD.

I've only been on Vyvanse for 2 and a half weeks.

Thanks so much.

-i
Old 02-23-12, 06:22 AM

dontlistentobs is on a distinguished road
Re: Alternatives to Vyvanse?

Glad I saw this I'm trying to look up alternatives myself.

I take 70mg vyvanse, you want my honest opinion? Stop taking it before it ruins the way you think, and the way your brain functions. I've been taking 70mg for 2 years because in high school my grades were low. Every parent thinks thinks this: Oh my kid isn't doing good in school, the problem must be with them because it can't be with how I'm raising my kid. That's my story of how I got on it.

Now my advice would be to take every vyvanse/add meds you have, and flush them down the toilet. You don't want to take a drug your not absolutely sure about. The government took lack of motivation and discipline and turned it into a (disease) that lots of people suffer from. Don't get me wrong taking vyvanse does give you a huge boost, you do everything that needs to be done when you take it, but that's because it's basically speed.

What's helped me since I quit taking vyvanse is, working out, taking 5-htp (you can get this from gmc), and educating yourself. 5-htp increases serotonin in your brain, and so does working out. Serotonin makes you happy, and has tons of health benefits. Diet has a lot to do with how your brain functions too. Take lots of vitamins like omega 3,6, and 9 with fish oil for example. Think about this: Vyvanse may help you be more focused, but when you get off of it you feel like your even more unfocused then before which isn't good because then you feel like you need vyvanse to get your stuff done. (that's how I felt at first)

Get off of it as soon as possible, I'm ****** my doctor let me take it in the first place. Do research on the FDA and how they make tons of money for making people believe they have a disease that doesn't exist. Trust me I used to be they guy that said "Hey!! it exists I have it!!"

Last edited by peripatetic; 02-23-12 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: removed overtly political statement and added paragraphs
Old 10-21-12, 12:37 PM
Jr Member

Jlmcinn4 is on a distinguished road

That is a very ignorant response. Just because you took the medication for motivation and good grades does not mean everyone does. So, you took the medication without proper diagnosis and treatment. That is your problem. There are many kids and adults who are hyper and need the medication to calm and focus. When people who don't need it take it to rev. them up then it is not being used for the intended purpose.
www.IEPand504.blogspot.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlmcinn4 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (10-21-12), silivrentoliel (10-21-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-12, 02:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,063 Times in 7,248 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlistentobs View Post
Glad I saw this I'm trying to look up alternatives myself.

I take 70mg vyvanse, you want my honest opinion? Stop taking it before it ruins the way you think, and the way your brain functions. I've been taking 70mg for 2 years because in high school my grades were low. Every parent thinks thinks this: Oh my kid isn't doing good in school, the problem must be with them because it can't be with how I'm raising my kid. That's my story of how I got on it.

Now my advice would be to take every vyvanse/add meds you have, and flush them down the toilet. You don't want to take a drug your not absolutely sure about. The government took lack of motivation and discipline and turned it into a (disease) that lots of people suffer from. Don't get me wrong taking vyvanse does give you a huge boost, you do everything that needs to be done when you take it, but that's because it's basically speed.

What's helped me since I quit taking vyvanse is, working out, taking 5-htp (you can get this from gmc), and educating yourself. 5-htp increases serotonin in your brain, and so does working out. Serotonin makes you happy, and has tons of health benefits. Diet has a lot to do with how your brain functions too. Take lots of vitamins like omega 3,6, and 9 with fish oil for example. Think about this: Vyvanse may help you be more focused, but when you get off of it you feel like your even more unfocused then before which isn't good because then you feel like you need vyvanse to get your stuff done. (that's how I felt at first)

Get off of it as soon as possible, I'm ****** my doctor let me take it in the first place. Do research on the FDA and how they make tons of money for making people believe they have a disease that doesn't exist. Trust me I used to be they guy that said "Hey!! it exists I have it!!"

You are wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start. It is not your place to advise someone to flush their meds down the toilet. Are you a doctor? I think not. Vyvanse is not speed. Its a pharmaceutical stimulant that has been prepared with other ingredients to make it safe and relatively effective. All of the "natural " advice you've offered is wonderful for a healthy body but has nothing to do with treating adhd. Being dependent on a medication doesn't make you a bungling fool when off it. Dependence is not addiction.

And like the above poster said ...it was an ignorant repsonse. Not everything is a giant conspiracy.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (10-21-12)
Old 10-28-12, 02:40 PM

lindsey91 is on a distinguished road

Oh man, newbie up there needs to drop that attitude. If meds aren't your thing then that's fine. But going on a medications discussion and preaching your ignorance to people who find medications sincerely helpful? Egocentric jerk.

Anyway! OP: Have you done any research on dexedrine? I'm in a similar situation with the Vyvanse causing a high heart rate. Lately I've been taking a small dose of beta blocker (propanlolol) to help relax my heart rate and it helps a lot. Though my doc doesn't like that idea, so I'm in the process of switching to dexedrine, which is like vyvanse but much much milder. For that reason, I'm a bit afraid it will be less effective, but I guess we'll just have to adjust the dosing or something. Maybe look up some info on dex. But be warned! Apparently it's a pain in the a** to find!
Old 10-29-12, 06:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

What's helped me since I quit taking vyvanse is, working out, taking 5-htp (you can get this from gmc), and educating yourself.
Do more, the finish line is still a ways off.

L-methylfolate resurrected my soul. Details.
Old 10-29-12, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,178 Times in 914 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Vyvanse may help you be more focused, but when you get off of it you feel like your even more unfocused then before which isn't good because then you feel like you need vyvanse to get your stuff done. (that's how I felt at first)

Well of course you feel crappy when you go off it, you are used to it helping you to think. And how you are unmedicated feels even more pronounced and crappy.

I dont have trouble with Ritalin, i dont mind taking a day off now and again, but when i was on Vyvanse, i did not want to take a day off. Days off meant brain foggy sleepy confused spazzy lethargy. I would try to take a day off on the weekends, because i didnt want to get tolerant. I knew if i waited until afternoon to take it, i wouldnt be able to sleep. But any time i tried to take a day off, i would literally crave it. Its weird, its not like i got high on it, but i sure as heck felt better on it. Some of it was placebo-psychological....the minute i took it, i felt better.

I finally got tired of it messing with my sleep, about every third day i would have trouble, so i went back to instant release ritalin. Its normally cheaper, but i insist on name brand, so probably not.

Vyvanse has to be the most chilled out adhd med i have ever taken. I was happy and calm on it. Ritalin can make me edgy, but i dont notice it as much with actual amphetamines, which is weird i guess, but its whatever. I am calm and lovey and happy on amphetamines, i can focus, but i do not have to. I am fine with just laying around watching movies or making a pie. Ritalin is more i dont know, i am less emotional and "colder" or something on it....i am going to get something done whether i like it or not on Ritalin. It makes me sort of idk...detatched?

If Vyvanse makes your heart race, i would almost say ritalin would be worse about it, but you know, that is just me....heck when i took 10 mg ritalins they knocked me out. Is it possible to divide the medicine inside in half and take it, or does the Dr think that would be okay? It wont hurt you....its absorbed in your small intestine anyhow. Either that or you could see about instant release dexedrine in a small dose...or wait for the smaller dose of vyvanse...

when i was on it, they never had it in stock, i asked why and they said carrying dexedrine makes their insurance higher, and vyvanse is just extended release dex really. Isnt that crazy? So i had to call ahead a day or two to make sure i didnt run out.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 10-30-12, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

You can open the capsule, and mix half with some water to take a smaller dose.
I occasionally do this on weekends. Skipping a day will totally knock me out of wack for three days.
Old 10-30-12, 09:43 PM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

I used to take vyvanse 70mg a couple years ago. Stopping it was really difficult and I was a mess for months afterward but I was on a strong dose. Although vyvanse and adderral are similar though they are not the same. Personally I noticed significant differences... Vyvanse made me very energetic and ramped up whereas on adderall I am calm, sometimes sleepy, and my bp is lower than normal. On vyvanse though my bp and hr were higher than normal and my doc took me off it. To be honest I liked the vyvanse better but both were/ are effective for me.
Old 10-31-12, 05:46 AM

kristnrob is on a distinguished road

The first response was pretty blunt, however.. I tend to agree. I would try to find a routine or activity that naturally boosts your body's energy level early on in the day, try a new diet, and/or increase b-vitamin intake (the Bs are brain power vitamins!).
If nothing is helping you find that motivation to focus, go for the lower dose of vyvanse.

My experience with vyvanse started several months ago, and I was more efficient and confident in doing work than I've ever been. I've been taking 50mg to this point, and today is the day that I've had enough. The feeling that my chest is pounding or even a little tight scares me - what will the long term effects of that be, an intense and constant 8-10 hr cardiovascular workout every day for months to years? At this point in the drug's young life, how can anyone know?

Secondly, my mood once the effect wears off is unpredictable, and I'm simply tired of dealing with that. My biggest source of frustration with vyvanse is my random inability to sleep due to persistent anxiety. I used to be a big runner, but I haven't consistently mustered enough physical energy since I've been on vyvanse to do my weekly workouts the way I used to, which is most disappointing to me. But please remember, this is only my experience and it's certainly not the case for everyone.
It seems to be a common complaint on these forums that vyvanse users experience irritability or agitation as the 10-12 hr-mark hits (or whenever it wears off for the day).

My irritability and agitation, compounded with an increase in stressors and change in environment, has morphed over the months into some kind of anxiety disorder, especially at night sometimes panic attacks. I did have a very positive experience with vyvanse in the first three months, but at this point the negative outweighs it. Everyone is different, though, and it could be that this lower dose happens to work perfectly for you and will for a long time!

I just suggest trying various routines or activities before turning to drug treatment. The human body and mind is immensely adaptable, the best advantage and worst disadvantage we people have!

Last edited by BR549; 11-01-12 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks only