ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-08-10, 08:24 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 488 Posts
JenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud of
Doing a test dose tomorrow

Saw the dr today and she says it's time to try something else. The Strattera has helped but not to the extent we would like. She feels the behavioural issues we see (impulsiveness, dark moods, irritability) are aspects of ADHD the Strattera isn't addressing. What we are doing obviously isn't working and she doesn't expect to see any additional improvement until we change meds.

I see her point but it still scares me.

But we are trying a test dose tomorrow and if he does ok, then we will decide on a new med and dose and try it next wknd. We did a test dose of ritalin last summer and he actually did well--his post-dose testing was better than the pre-dose testing and he didn't have a "crash" when the med wore off that night. So hopefully this will work out well. Wish us luck and I'll keep you posted.

12yo DS with ADHD/anxiety.
Diagnosed 6/09
Old 04-08-10, 08:50 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of
Re: Doing a test dose tomorrow

Does he have to wean off the strattera? What about the other meds?

Hopefully it will be great!
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
JenE (04-08-10)
Old 04-08-10, 08:57 PM
Forum Guru

JenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud of

Thanks MuscleMama! She said we would wean off the Strattera eventually but she doesn't want to make multiple changes in the meds so we don't have to guess which one causes what reaction. Once we get him established on a stim, we'll wean off the Strattera. The Lexapro will definitely stay and the Tenex may or may not, we'll see.

Why am I so nervous???

Diagnosed 6/09
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-10, 10:03 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Because change with our kids means walking on eggshells
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
JenE (04-08-10)
Old 04-08-10, 10:23 PM
Forum Guru

You are so right! But then again, we've been walking on eggshells for a long time so maybe soon, it won't crunch with each step!

Diagnosed 6/09
Old 04-08-10, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Jen, I don't know if this will help or not...

I was on Ritalin at four years old and was on and off it until I was around twelve. Back in those dark ages, the belief was that ADHD simply went away. Drug vacations were common (and awful) and every time something new showed up, I could expect to be switched.

I know that I would have been in such a different place if I had been allowed to stay with a med that worked and allowed to stay with it throughout school.

Time to allow that you are doing the very best you can with what you have.

(((hugs)))

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
JenE (04-09-10)
Old 04-09-10, 01:03 PM
Forum Guru

Thanks Tigger! I know you are right. I'm just a worrier and change is hard for me too.

We're back from dr and I'm encouraged by the results. I'm going to post them in a different thread.

Diagnosed 6/09
The Following User Says Thank You to JenE For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-09-10)