ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 04-12-10, 12:55 PM

andremike is on a distinguished road
My Daughter on Concerta and Intuniv, need help

My daughter who is going on 8, is on 18mg of Concerta and 2mg of Intuniv. She was diagnosed with ADD the in-attentive type. Basically had a learning disabillity.(wasn't hyper, or mean) She was on Concerta for about 8 months and it worked great and did help her, but the problem was the medication would wear off in the afternoon and she would continue to struggle. A new DR started her on 2mg of Inutniv with the Concerta and it seemed to help her last throughout the day. She has been on it for about 2 months now and it seems like we are really starting to see porblems. She can't sleep at night, has nightmares, Very tired during the day, Gets very emotional or even mean, Is contunally biting her knuckles, Looks pale, Extreme Anxiety.... And other things..

Anyone have any ideas? I wanted to take her off the intuniv, or at least lower her dose, but the DR doesn't seem to thinhk thats the problem. Can anyone help out?
The Following User Says Thank You to andremike For This Useful Post:
Guest1234 (04-20-12)
Old 04-13-10, 11:54 AM

Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,806 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Daughter on Concerta and Intuniv, need help

Intuniv can make people drowsy, but most of the time the effect goes away. Was she having nightmares and not sleeping well before you added the intuniv? If not, it's a fair guess that is what's causing it (unless there's been some other life changing event that she's reacting to, like a move, a death, etc).

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-13-10)
Old 04-14-10, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

You might try adding a short acting pill for the afternoon instead. We did that for a while with my girl and it helped. My girl is very hyper too though, and is on 54 mg of concerta. We've never done Intunive, so I can't help with that.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 04:19 AM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice

How does the doctor dismiss the possibility of the medication being or contributing to your daughter's obvious distress?

Has he asked you what her diet is? Whether she gets enough sunlight and exercise?
Has he asked you detailed questions about her schedule, her teachers, and her friends?

It's clinically impossible for him to know that medication isn't the cause without doing at least the above.

My mother was a nursery principal, and I've worked with teens and adults for over ten years now. We both agree that 8 year olds simply don't have attention problems. By that, we mean that...well, if you're interesting enough, they'll pay attention to you!!

When I helped my mom out when I was younger, I always had the one kid that none of the other teachers wanted. Because they were wriggly and loud. And the older ones often got angry or cried.

Those kids loved me, because I paid attention to them. It was just me and them. All the other teachers got 5-7 kids. I didn't want that many kids. Because then all you get to do is tell them to do things, then yell at them if they don't do them.

I always just had the one, and it was a lot more fun. We'd do the assignment really fast, usually in a weird way so it totally stuck out from everybody else's. (What happens when you let the kid do whatever they want). And then we'd go off and find more fun things to do. And if the kid got bored, we'd stop and do something entirely different!

I always thought those kids were smarter than all the other kids.
And considering that I'm considered a genius by lots of people (don't worry, I don't agree, and neither does my husband! @_@), you can take that to the bank!!
Old 05-06-10, 10:06 AM

So we finally got into see a prescribing psychologist. Not really sure we liked this guy... He wasn't interested in reading the previous psycholgists diagnosis and didn't spend any 1 on 1 time with her.. he was also very cold. but he questioned why our pediatrician would prescribe Concerta and intuniv for our daughter. He further questioned why we were giving here both at the same time in the morning... We brought our daughter in because of her Anxiety. The DR said the Concerta is causing the anxiety. He wants to take her off the Concerta and just try the intuniv. He doesn't think the intuniv will be much help for her because of her ADD Inattentive type diagnosis. But since the drug is new who knows.. He mentioned Strattera but wants to try the Intuniv first.. Any thoughts from anoyone?
The Following User Says Thank You to andremike For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-14-10)
Old 05-06-10, 10:18 AM
Forum Guru

JenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud of

In my experience, Intuniv is more for controlling hyperactivity and impulsivity and somewhat for mood. My son takes Tenex which is the short acting form of Intuniv to help calm his impulsivity. We started with Strattera but it has given us marginal results--especially in the impulse area so we are trying Focalin (marginal results again) and now Metadate. Strattera seems to help more for attention issues so maybe it would be something to try for your daughter.

The med trial phase can be very difficult but you'll find good information and support here.

12yo DS with ADHD/anxiety.
Diagnosed 6/09
The Following User Says Thank You to JenE For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-06-10)
Old 05-06-10, 10:21 AM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

I think I remember reading that stimulants can cause/increase anxiety so it would make sense that he would want to take her off it for a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-14-10)
Old 05-06-10, 10:48 AM

seems like Strattera might be better for her condition
Old 05-06-10, 11:23 AM

Acombs is on a distinguished road

My daughter is on Daytrana and started intuniv 8 weeks ago... she is about to be bumped to 4mg. I have seen such a huge improvement with her attitude and defiance, but over the last 5 days have seen her grumpy self starting to show again. I"m so sad. We are going to try 4mg, but I'm scared it's going to lose it's potency, why is this? Anyone else seen a drop off in effectiveness? And I know they say it's not been studied beyond 9 weeks, but that's just mean to see a new child really and then get the old one back.
Old 05-07-10, 11:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

is there any interaction between taking intuniv and concerta or ritalin together. I googeld it and saw that there is an interaction?
Old 05-07-10, 12:54 PM

mamabubbles is just really nicemamabubbles is just really nicemamabubbles is just really nicemamabubbles is just really nice

two things come to mind when I read this post. 1 is that if you as a parent think that a med is not good for your child, you should feel confident taking her off it, the joy of these meds is that they are quality of life, not actually life sustaining, if it isn't improving her quality of life than I would take her off of it immediately. The second thing that comes to mind is I am wondering if your dr went straight into it being psychological issues, or if he checked to see if maybe her issues were a manifestation of a physiological problem. I say that because I have a thyroid problem, and about a year after taking concerta I learned that it can cause overactive thyroid in people predisposed to a condition, the main symptoms of which are: not sleeping, which causes exhaustion, nightmares, anxiety, jittery, restless, mood swings, feeling "off" weight issues(which can go unnoticed on concerta because it kills the appetite) diahhrea. I asked the dr to up my concerta 3 times before we went and checked other issues and found out my thyroid was on overdrive. there are other conditions as well that can cause these symptoms especially in a pre-pubescent girl, make sure her medical well being isn't being overlooked because of her ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to mamabubbles For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-14-10)
Old 05-12-10, 08:37 PM

So she has been on just intuniv for the last week. We've noticed the anxiety is still there. Not sure how the intuniv is working her inattentive dsiorder...
so now we went to our primary DR and he wants to prescribe her ZOLOFT for her anxiety problem...and keep her on intuniv.. He said to give her 25mg a day. I really hate to give this to her.. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-13-10, 09:10 AM
Forum Guru

JenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud ofJenE has much to be proud of

My son take Lexapro for anxiety and depression. For him, it is a necessary drug and has worked wonders. He was having severe anxiety in social situations and was in a pretty deep depression last year. He is now taking stimulants too so the dr has no intention of removing the Lexapro (stims can cause anxiety). I would think if the anxiety is severe enough to impact her quality of life, it would be good to take the Zoloft. It could make a huge difference for her.

As for the Intuniv, my understanding is that it is more helpful in controlling impulsivity than inattention issues so I'm not sure what he is trying to accomplish here. My dr also said their experience with drug was mediocre at best so they are not usually prescribing it. The side effects with mood seemed to have surfaced with the addition of the Intuniv so I would probably question continuing that. It may be that instead of adding more drugs to get the desired effect, a different drug might do better than the Concerta.

Diagnosed 6/09
Old 05-13-10, 10:58 AM

My wife and I are still up in the air about giving her zoloft. I feel her anxiety is not sever enough to need to be treated with zoloft. I feel that maybe we need to try to enhance her self confidence to alieve the anxiety. So confused.....
Old 05-13-10, 01:24 PM
Forum Guru

You can try behavioral therapy to help with the anxiety before trying meds. It is hit or miss with children this young but it may help.

You might also try dropping the Intuniv and see if that helps the anxiety.

Diagnosed 6/09