ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-23-11, 01:15 AM

mm855752 will become famous soon enough
Adderall making me Dumb?

I was recently diagnosed 6 months ago, 21 yrs old male.

I weighed about 170 when I started adderall. Now im around 142. Yes, HUGE Appetite suppression.

I feel like adderall is making me dumb, seriously my reaction time for a lot of stuff is slower. My performance on standardized timed exams, and mathematical calculations has been greatly reduced, even my verbal/reading comp skills dipped like crazy. - Primarily talking about GMAT.

I'm an amazing writer, and used to score like high 30's and low 40's on the GMAT Verbal.
Now I took it and scored a 25. =X

But in general, i feel like it worked for 2 months. But now I cant comprehend anything i read. It made my reading comp/verbal dip soo much.

I only take around 10mg - 20mg Adderall XR max. I don't know whats going on. Should I stop adderall? I've tried concerta and didn't like the foggy feeling and tired moody feeling. I'm about to just quit adhd medication.
Old 04-23-11, 02:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,459 Times in 581 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall making me Dumb?

Yikes - it sounds like Adderall is not the best medication for you!

I had some weird short-term memory hiccups when I started Adderall, and every so often I'd totally blank out on an obvious answer, but that mostly resolved by the end of the first month. I average about 40 mgs a day, I can go as high as 80, and I'm only 5'1", 105 lbs.

If I were having your kind of experience, I'd call my doctor asap. There's no way you can be expected to function like that. There are other meds aside from Concerta and Adderall. Straterra, maybe?
Old 04-23-11, 11:50 AM

Thanked 10,078 Times in 3,172 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Everyone's body chemistry is different.

The best way to coordinate meds is with your prescribing physician.

The more specific info you can give them,the better.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-11, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you currently taking anything that might interact with the Adderall? Sometimes what you take can counteract the stimulating effects. Citrus juice is one. Sometimes allergy meds will affect Adderall also. Just started Adderall XR this week. I felt really 'off' the past few days and couldn't concentrate on anything and felt really foggy and thought "great, I can't take this either"! Got up today and realized my allergies have been bothering me for a few days. Don't know how allergies are in Oklahoma, but here in Texas they are KILLERS. Took my allergy meds first thing (I already checked with my pdoc and said it was okay, but not to do it every day and monitor side effects), waited an hour and took the Adderall. It's all good so far. Concentration and motivation are back. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Check with your doc. It could be you need your dosage increased.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-23-11, 02:50 PM

Fiction1228 will become famous soon enough

hm. are you taking the adderall with coffee? I find that coffee/added caffeine makes me speedy but I cant focus or think for the life of me. just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fiction1228 For This Useful Post:
~carol~ (08-05-12)
Old 04-23-11, 11:57 PM

nope i dont drink any fruit juices, and if i do its towards the night time.
I rarely take coffee with adderall.

I thought adderall works right away and it doesnt have to be built up in your system like certain drugs. Why would it take 1 month for proper affects?
Old 04-24-11, 03:41 AM
Jr Member

tigerbeat is on a distinguished road

You said that you lost almost 30 pounds in 6 months? I think that's what I read. How is your diet? Do you think you're eating enough? I take 10mg IR 2-3x a day depending on school/work schedule, if I don't eat and go to class or try to do homework I can't even remember things from a minute before. I'm not hungry but can tell that my brain needs food. It might not be the adderall but the fact that you're blood sugar and nutrients are out of whack. Those things can definitely affect your academic performance.
Old 04-24-11, 12:49 PM

You migt actually have a point there, i dont no but its impossible for me to eat normally with adderall, even concerta.

I was a power lifter before at 170 i was able to bench approx 355, more then double my weight. Ever since adderall, ive stopped going to the gym because im just motivated to get good grades in college, and comppetely neglected the gym. I just tryed going bavk to the gym yesturday. And WOW, i cant even bench 145 without my arms starting to shake, adderall is really good for motivation in your school work but for me after the first month, it hasnt helped me. I feel like i So much short term memory loss, and that ive slowed down termendously.

You mught be right about the food, and blood sugar levels. Im off adderall for the past 3 days now, and in 2 days when my body gets my energty levels bavk up a little, im going to try and take a practice GMAT exam and i swear if i do better on this one then i did on my previous practice and the real one, then im quitting adderalll.

Anyone know exactly how long the stuff actually stays in ur system??
Old 04-24-11, 02:35 PM

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand it can stay in your system for 1-3 days after taking it. That is, before your body expels it completely. Depending on whether you take the IR or the XR, it should be in effect 15 to 30 minutes or so after taking it.

I forgot about the food issue! I usually try to eat either 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after I take my xr dose. Some people have said it affects the absorbancy rate if you take it with food, especially fatty foods. I find that if I skip a high protein breakfast when I take it that I am a bit foggier.

Even though Adderall doesn't make my bp higher, I always make sure I take it after I work out. If I take it before I work out, it gives me the energy to work out, but I'm really tired after that and it's harder to focus. I usually want to nap afterwards. And I find that my focus for the rest of the day is lower.

Talk to you doc and see if he/she has any suggestions. Good Luck!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-24-11, 02:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm855752 View Post
I was recently diagnosed 6 months ago, 21 yrs old male.

I weighed about 170 when I started adderall. Now im around 142. Yes, HUGE Appetite suppression.

I feel like adderall is making me dumb, seriously my reaction time for a lot of stuff is slower. My performance on standardized timed exams, and mathematical calculations has been greatly reduced, even my verbal/reading comp skills dipped like crazy. - Primarily talking about GMAT.

I'm an amazing writer, and used to score like high 30's and low 40's on the GMAT Verbal.
Now I took it and scored a 25. =X

But in general, i feel like it worked for 2 months. But now I cant comprehend anything i read. It made my reading comp/verbal dip soo much.

I only take around 10mg - 20mg Adderall XR max. I don't know whats going on. Should I stop adderall? I've tried concerta and didn't like the foggy feeling and tired moody feeling. I'm about to just quit adhd medication.
Have you tried taking any drug holidays? A good healthy diet along with plenty of water and a multi-vitamin & steady sleep from dark to sunrise helps alot... When I take too much Adderall my head feels really cloudy and it's hard to think. Also, when I don't get enough sleep or my body is missing a vitamin - or im just tired from taking it everyday I get the same side effects.
Old 04-30-11, 02:38 AM

wow, ive been off of adderall for a week exactly.

Changes/ Cons:
- More racing thoughts
- easily distracted.
- Sometimes spaced out, doing a lot of things at once.
- I went from Studying for a final, and got up and put some freon on my dads car, went back to studying, then got up and changed my cars brake pads, then went back to studying, then I got on the computer, and purchased a macbook pro 0_0. =\

Changes/ Pros:
- Feel a little bit "HERE", Im noticing a lot more stuff around me, instead of feeling like I'm only focused on one thing.
- My apatite is kicking in, been eating a lot more.
- less anxious, no racing heart.
- feel a bit more creative? I don't know?
- feel LESS stupid, faster thinking (also a con)

I loved how i felt the first 2 months of adderall, but after that, not good.

I'm debating going back on it tomorrow, or should I wait?
I took the GMAT with adderall and did horrible, I felt so stupid and had just blank thoughts. But this is after I Continuously took it and the good effects wore off after the first 2 months (Feb). I took the GMAT last week.

Now since this 1 week vacation from adderall, I'm debating going back on it and focusing for the GMAT again.... maybe i'll have the GOOD effects from it like I did in the begining. GMAT is in 3 weeks. =\

Any advice?
Old 04-30-11, 09:29 AM

kgloverii will become famous soon enough

I would ask your doc about trying Dex. I switched from Adderall to Dex (I take a small Adderall booster in the AM sometimes) because of the anxiety and tension Adderall produced and the over-stimulation. I would take the Adderall and be so hell bent on getting something done, you couldn't break my focus. With Dex, I don't get the anxiety, and I can switch from task to task much easier. I'm cool as a cucumber.

On Adderall, I ate like crap, too. I didn't eat, and what I craved was sugary junk. On Dex, I don't eat much, but when I eat, I actually want the proteins and fats... Which is a good thing.
Old 05-02-11, 06:51 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

What I do is I take bendryl before I go to bed and lay off of the adderall for a week. the bendryl gets rid of tolerance to stimulants.
Old 05-02-11, 11:45 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

For me, without enough sleep and protein I feel the meds more... but in a bad way. I just get this restless, unfocussed slightly manic energy, basically my ADHD will be worse. I've felt this way lately. It happens sometimes. I don't get enough sleep and I just feel exhausted mentally but still charged physically... and that kind of exhaustion is almost painful because you need to reboot but life and Adderall demand that you keep going. I used to worry about tolerance but I've found that the meds don't stop working, my schedule and daily demands change and then my meds don't fit my schedule. It is important for me not to try and cram too many things into one day because I can't be focused and productive 100% of the day. My mind doesn't work like that. Adderall has to work in conjunction with your natural mental and physical energy. When those are spent Adderall will just make you jittery or spacey or both.
I think this is why so many newly medicated memebers complain about inconsistency. there are alot of variables. At the right dose, the medication can be consistent for a long time, IF you don't expect a full-fledged miracle in every dose. When I start to obsess over whether the Adderall is working I try and skip it. I have Vyvanse for regular, daily coverage and it makes me sane and calm, but doesn't have all the side-effects of the Adderall. If it isn't working it isn't working. If Adderall is in my system but ineffective, I feel WAY worse then I normallu would. It is a double edged sword so eat helathy, sleep, excercise, remember birthdays and anniversaries and buy the world a coke.
Old 08-01-12, 04:28 PM

unim21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction1228 View Post
hm. are you taking the adderall with coffee? I find that coffee/added caffeine makes me speedy but I cant focus or think for the life of me. just a thought.
I usually don't take in any caffeine until at least 7 to 8 hours after my last dose.

To OP:

Also keep in mind any/all substances you ingest (as well as food) before and after taking your medication.

I keep a hand written journal that I update throughout the day with timestamps on each entry. I record just about everything, from thoughts/feelings to anything I eat, drink or put in my body. This has helped me pinpoint exactly when or how the drug is affecting my mood, emotional state and physical well being.

I'm right there with you on the feeling "Dumb" while taking RX'd Adderall. It worked great for about the first week, but I've had to reduce my dosage from 30mg IR x2 daily to around 10mg IR once or twice daily. This has greatly increased my ability to concentrate and I feel more energetic overall, with increased sociability and less negative side effects from the comedown.

Watch your diet as well, and try your best to get some exercise in the morning before your first dose, or in the later evening once you're confident that it's out of your system - the main reason being to avoid increased blood pressure and heart rate, and to get a generally better workout in.

Your experience sounds very similar to my own. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in talking about it some more.