ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-19-16, 12:34 AM

carefulmama is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

Hello, thank you so much for creating this thread! I am new to taking Adderall. I was diagnosed adhd as a child but never took meds. Now fighting the adverse affects of anorexia which is binge eating disorder, I have been prescribed CorePharma 10mg Tablet 2x/day. I am on my 4th day of taking 5mg 2x/day. At around 4pm it started to lose its efficacy and had difficulty controlling my obsessive thoughts of food. I also developed a really bad headache and feel exhausted! BTW I have been getting the best sleep of my life! The medication has me feeling really calm yet focused. I was planning to up my dose tomorrow but am concerned with these side effects. Any knowledge to share about what I may be experiencing? I am also taking 50mg Zoloft. I posted here in case it is a known brand issue. Thank you!
Old 07-02-16, 06:45 PM

cynthiab is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to post a quick note here on my experience. I started Adderall a little over a month ago. My doctor gave me a script for both IR and XR, to try either one to see what I liked better. I was filled the barr brand of IR and original Adderall XR. I pretty quickly noticed that I liked the IR better, both in the effect and being able to dose it to get a steady effect throughout the day predictably without insomnia. Once I got the dose and schedule right, it was just perfect and I felt like a completely new person: My binge eating was gone, my hair pulling was gone, I could focus and get lots of work done, I could be patient with my kids and actually connect with them, I could connect with other people at work and in my social life and even strangers, I no longer felt overwhelmed by simple every day tasks, I felt like my life wasn't hopeless. I looked forward to getting up and living my life instead of looking forward just to going to bed. When I filled my second script for IR, I was filled the Sandoz brand, which I thought, great, I hear these are good quality. Awful. I felt tired and wired at the same time, procrastinating for literally hours before getting necessary things done, dry mouth, no focus, can't think, overwhelmed by everything, clearing my throat all the time (my ADHD tic), acting impulsive, impatient with my family, feeling hopeless. Just a note to say: It is definitely my experience that the two generics that are supposed to be the same are not acting the same for me. One brand of adderall works wonders, while another does not do anything beneficial. The XR is no good for me either, although not quite as awful as the Sandoz. I'm going to try to work with my doctor to give back / dispose of / whatever the Sandoz that I have and pay out of pocket to get a prescription filled with barr instead. I don't care if it sounds crazy to non-ADHD people that I'm saying the brands are affecting me drastically differently, but that's my experience, and anyone who has seen me in the last few days would confirm I'm a completely different person.
The Following User Says Thank You to cynthiab For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-02-16)
Old 07-21-16, 05:56 PM

Crazythat is on a distinguished road

I have a prescription for 20 mg Adderall(not ER). I recently requested to my doctor to switch to 20mg from 30mg in hopes that the different pill would be more like the Barr Adderall I took 5+ years ago(before the patent runout/formula change). It's been a long arduous road getting to this point. I noticed immediately when the "brand" changed, (even though the pharmacy flat out denied any difference). After giving up on Barr/shire/teva ever returning to the formula that works, I came across the Eon/Sandoz generic and was neurotic about getting only that generic per request from the pharmacy. I then noticed it too began to change and have been devastated in a functional way ever since! My life has been forever changed by knowing what it feels like to be "normal" but never being able to feel/function like that again. From what I'm reading here, it seems like people are having the best results from the 20mg teva. Can anybody say which chains carry this brand? I used to get the teva from a Rite Aid pharmacy years ago, but when I only wanted the Sandoz brand, I switched to an accommodating mom and pop place. I asked them about ordering the teva(or alternative) and they acted kinda funky, so I just dropped the subject( I was picking up other stuff at the time). They do not have the same pharmacist working there that helped me at first because he opened another pharmacy in another town and has been working there since it opened. Soo, I'm just trying to get something that might actually work. Anybody know which chains routinely carry the teva brand? Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazythat For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-21-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-16, 05:43 PM

farmreduction is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

I've been on adderall for years, for ADHD and DSPD, and i've found while it's not the absolute best medication for my 2 issues, it's the best monotherapy at the moment.
(side note: for DSPS, Provigil was a 11/10, until i became allergic and had to be hospitalized for DRESS reaction, along with Xyrem at night- also a 9/10, but is I refuse to take it because it is a scary medicine, and i couldn't live with myself if someone stole it and used it for rapey reasons)

But adderall frustrates me because of the wild differences between generics. I take the 30mg ir (xr was ineffective for me), twice a day (1 at 5-6:30am, and either 1/2 at 9 & 1/2 @ 12, or 1 whole at 12), but it's effectiveness depends on the generic.

I prefer Corepharma (the pink circles), many people hate this one but i find it has the least side effects, as well as a very appropriate length of action. It kicks in predictably after 45 mins, which is a big plus. Also it doesn't taste like candy, which i hate in some generics. It also seems to have less food, stomach PH problems.

I have only gotten the Sandoz a few times, but i have a high opinion of them. the seem similar to the Corepharma, but with slightly more PH issues, a slightly more uneven effect vs time, and has more variability in the time it takes to kick in (45-60 mins). Harder to find around here, but i'm not upset when i get instead of the Cor's.

Now onto the Barr/Teva, i really dislike this one. The sweet taste gags me. The time to onset is highly variable, but always super long (60-90 mins), which requires me to work around the medicine. If i don't take my aciphex, and/or eat within 4 hours (previous)- i might as well throw half the pill away! It causes urine retention, and the simulant lasts way too long. Also, Because they are the shape/color that junkies know, i've had them stolen from my car/home/ etc several times (never happens with pink pills). Even though i'm a model patient, pass every UA and random pill count my psych has ever given me, if some d-bag takes my meds, i'm screwed for a month, because early refills on CII's attract the DEA's attention on the dr, and mine doesn't take the risk.

Wondering now if i should ask dr about trying dexedrine, or desoxyn? I know dextro is expensive, and dr's hate rx'ing desoxyn, but i'll see what he says. Plus in my benefit, i've got Rx records from the Pharmacy showing i've been prescribed both before...
Old 08-12-16, 07:40 PM

MyNameIsntEarl is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on here. I am a 26 year old male and have just recently been diagnosed with ADHD by my psychiatrist about 4 months ago, after living with it my whole life and not being properly treated for it.

I was first prescribed Strattera which proved to be utterly useless for me after taking the one month trial supply my doc gave me. So I then asked to try Adderall which I had always heard great things about and I had tried it maybe 2 times years ago just recreationally before I really knew I had ADHD with great effects.

I started taking the Sandoz 10mg IR Adderall once a day 3 months ago with very unpredictable results. Some days it worked like a charm and I felt much more energetic and motivated with a clear mind. Other days it felt as if I took nothing at all. So I started slowly increasing my dose by increments of 2.5mg each day and I felt much better at 20mgs. So next doc appointment I asked to switch to 20mg IR once a day. The first day I took a 20mg Sandoz tab I felt incredible. Just so happy, clear minded, and wanting to go out and do something. I cleaned my entire house, organized everything in my room and had no side effects or come down when it wore off. This feeling I felt from the first day I took the 20mg tabs slowly became more and more unpredictable just as it did with the 10mgs I initially started out with. Like one day I would feel perfect as if I had no sign of ADHD whatsoever and the next day I felt as if I took nothing.

So after dealing with the fickle ways of Sandoz Adderall my first two months on it I began doing some research on different generics and what effect they had on different people. And I was really intrigued by this thread I am posting now seeing how much of a difference different generic Adderall tabs had on everyone, and I was just stunned by some of the bad experiences some of you guys on here had! I started wondering if my Sandoz/eon 20mg tabs weren't the best for me and saw how so many people had better experiences with other generics mainly Teva/Barr from what I saw on this thread. It seemed that people who liked the teva/barr tabs didn't like the Sandoz/eon tabs so much and seeing as Sandoz was the only brand I ever had I decided to fill my script for 20mg ir tabs somewhere else today. I ended up with the Teva 20mg IR tabs and noticed a big difference compared to the Sandoz brand today after taking my first one. I have to say I like the Teva generic better so far. It made me feel pretty much just right and felt a bit stronger and punchier than the Sandoz ones. I am hoping i continue to have a good experience with these as the Sandoz seemed to only work sometimes and not at all others.

Sorry for the book i wrote lol, its just that i have so much more energy with these new Teva Adderall than i did with the Sandoz! Sandoz wasn't horrible by any means, it just was a bit more subtle feeling than these Tevas. So far Teva is my favorite.
Old 08-24-16, 06:53 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

I know that this is a "individual differences issue"

In my opinion, Teva seems to me to be stronger and more efficacious than any other generic brand.

Note of caution: The generic brand from Mallinckrodt is absolutely horrible. This, of course, only represents my opinion.
Old 08-29-16, 12:17 PM

BMW-Addict is on a distinguished road

Very grateful for this thread. I have been taking adderall for 10 years or so. For the last 5 years, I have taken 2 20mg Teva pills a day. I found that taking the non-xr pills broken out to 10mg every 3 or 4 hours works better for me than the xr's did. (I also had a high deductible insurance plan at the time I started this strategy, and the XR's were ridiculously priced). Today, in picking up my script, it is a new pill to me, and one that I havent seen mentioned in this thread. It is a yellow pill by Sun Pharmaceuticals with the impression MP 446. Has anyone taken these in the past? Is there any difference to what I am used to in my orange Teva produced pills?
Old 08-30-16, 10:53 PM

Irolyne is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a question regarding the generic adderall IR by Actavis.
This is the first time I have been given the white 30mg, oval tablet. R 352 is imprinted on the tablet and it is scored in the middle. I am not sure if I want to take this brand. The Pharmacist said she had not received any feedback on the new brand. She quit ordering the round peach colored tablets made by Barr/Teva. I have been using a different pharmacy for the last three rx's , but today I used the Genoa pharmacy in my psychiatrists clinic. I hope i haven't made a mistake in getting this one. I will check with my other Pharmacist tomorrow.
I can tell that this thread is several years old. I hope this isn't a dead forum.
Looking forward to hearing back from those who have used this brand.
FONT="Book Antiqua"][/font]
Old 08-30-16, 10:57 PM

Question Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

I retract my initial statement of this being a dead firum. I found the thread. My apologies ��. ...
[/i]

Last edited by Irolyne; 08-30-16 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-30-16, 11:07 PM

Hello,

I have a question regarding the generic adderall IR by Actavis.
This is the first time I have been given the white 30mg, oval tablet. R 352 is imprinted on the tablet and it is scored in the middle. I am not sure if I want to take this brand. The Pharmacist said she had not received any feedback on the new brand. She quit ordering the round peach colored tablets made by Barr/Teva. I have been using a different pharmacy for the last three rx's , but today I used the Genoa pharmacy in my psychiatrists clinic. I hope i haven't made a mistake in getting this one. I will check with my other Pharmacist tomorrow.
I can tell that this tgrwad is several years old. I hope this isn't a dead forum.
Looking forward to hearing back from those who have used this brand.
(Also I discovered that Barr/Teva purchased Allegan pharmaceuticals whose generic branch is Actavis. So I suppose if this merger has gone through then Barr/Teva is the manufacturer of the new white R 352 tablet, which must be fairly new as Pill Indentifier had difficulty locating it.) THANKS ALL!

Last edited by namazu; 08-31-16 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: removed stray font tag
Old 10-05-16, 03:36 PM

Luckygurl2685 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
I know that this is a "individual differences issue"

In my opinion, Teva seems to me to be stronger and more efficacious than any other generic brand.

Note of caution: The generic brand from Mallinckrodt is absolutely horrible. This, of course, only represents my opinion.

I have ADHD and I have been taking the 10mg (blue local) and 15mg (orange circle) TEVA brand generics. On my last refill, all my local pharmacies were out of the 15mg so I called around and found a pharmacy that had enough pills to fill my script. I picked it up and went home- I didn't even think to look at the pills. I found in my bottle these white, stop sign shaped pills. I double checked that they were the right script still and started taking them.
Holy Crap.
I noticed they were dextrose combo instead of salt combo but didn't think much of it. I was so incredibly sick for a week before I realized it was the pills I took. I have had a very educational week learning about the differences in the genetics!!
Old 11-04-16, 06:46 PM

inbetweenshades will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried the IMPAX generic of Adderall IR? I've only just heard of it.
I did a quick search and they seem to tied with Teva and Core Pharma somehow, but don't quote me on that.

Still trying to find Sandoz, and having absolutely NO luck.
:/
Old 11-24-16, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbetweenshades View Post
Has anyone tried the IMPAX generic of Adderall IR? I've only just heard of it.
I did a quick search and they seem to tied with Teva and Core Pharma somehow, but don't quote me on that.

Still trying to find Sandoz, and having absolutely NO luck.
:/
I think I heard Sandoz is discontinued. I found some at a mom & pop pharmacy.
Old 12-06-16, 12:01 AM

inbetweenshades will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
I think I heard Sandoz is discontinued. I found some at a mom & pop pharmacy.
You are correct. It has, sadly.

After much research, I found out that Impax is owned by Core Pharma.
I recently learned of another brand; Aurobindo. (Sp?)

I went ahead and got it filled, 10 milligram IR pills in hopes that it would be okay. I figured it couldn't be any worse than Core Pharma was for me.
In most ways, that was true. But, it messed with my breathing. (A new unwelcome side effect for me.) And it caused a bit of anxiety. (That wasn't new, or unexpected.) If not for the first side effect, I would say it's pretty close to Sandoz. Closer than anything else I've taken recently.

However, not being able to breathe is kind of a major issue, so having tried every generic I know of, I'm going back to Desoxyn.

Hopefully, later on the down the road, someone will make a decent generic for Adderall, but for now, personally, I'm throwing in the towel.

Best of luck to everyone who continues to brave the generic Adderall right now.
Thanks to everyone who continues to contribute to this thread. It is much appreciated.
Old 01-28-17, 07:12 AM

excell is on a distinguished road

Hello guys, I'm a newly diagnosed member with ADD. I notice everyone has different preference of what generic brand works best for them. I would like to find what generic brand works best for me.

My question is. What pharmacy's carry which generic brand? Would it be ok to call and ask them what generic brand they carry? Thank you. Looking forward to experimenting on what works best for me