ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-24-10, 03:31 PM

artangelw/add is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

There is definantly a difference in generics! I Went from Barr to tabsan and back to barr because of side effects! But my question is my bottle says amphet salt CMB...does anyone know what the CMB stand for??
Thanks in advanced!
The Following User Says Thank You to artangelw/add For This Useful Post:
meridian (06-21-10)
Old 05-24-10, 06:47 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

tab san is tablets by sandoz

ampt salt comb is ampthamine salt combination

the 4 salts in adderall

1/4 dextroamphetamine saccharate
1/4 dextroamphetamine sulfate
1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-)amphetamine aspartate monohydrate
1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-)amphetamine sulfate
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
meridian (06-21-10), Missi (09-14-10), mzstar (11-22-11)
Old 06-16-10, 02:27 PM

JamesJ will become famous soon enough

I see that Sandoz makes generic adderall in 5,10, 20 and 30mg. Are those IR or XR? Or do they make both in those mg?
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesJ For This Useful Post:
meridian (06-21-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-10, 04:18 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ View Post
I see that Sandoz makes generic adderall in 5,10, 20 and 30mg. Are those IR or XR? Or do they make both in those mg?
That is IR only.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
meridian (06-21-10)
Old 06-21-10, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I've started on Barr 5 mg tabs. My rx is for 1 a day or take a second one 6 hours after the first.

I found that taking 1 with breakfast and then a second one 2-4 hours later seems best for me.

Had 1 night of interrupted sleep, fine after that (this is day 4).

Had some urgent and loose stools (ugh) hopefully that is over and today 6 hours after my last (2nd) dose I am crashing (very sleepy). FWIW

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 06-22-10, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

tomlinson has a spectacular aura abouttomlinson has a spectacular aura about

In addition to the differering formulations of the various generics,
there is the major issue of quality control - the quality of generic drugs varies from batch to batch.

Reports of the varying degrees of effectiveness of different generic drugs can often be traced to this issue of spotty quality control.

Often, this is "turned around" so that the cause is stated to be a particular patient's "reaction to different binders and fillers" in the generic drug.

But, the fact is that the FDA is continually finding generic drugs that are not up to spec with regard to their active ingredient(s) or otherwise.

Just one specific example of many: in 2009, Teva/Barr had to recall a batch of 20mg generic Adderall IR tablets because they contained far too much of their active ingredient(s).

Anyone who took these tablets may have been seen as "difficult" or "crazy" - until the batch was actually analyzed chemically.
At that point, the real issue became clear.

See: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm177434.htm
Old 06-30-10, 08:50 PM

Timm625 is on a distinguished road

I've had ADD/ADHD since i was 12, so for about 8 years now. The entire time i have been on what i believe are the "Barr" generic brand, my doses have varied but normally consist of either 2 of the 10 mg blue oval pills in the morning, and one in the afternoon, or 1 20 mg orange oval pill in the morning, and one in the afternoon. It has always helped me concentrate and focus in school, work, and just my social life. I've seen/felt very few negative effects, such as if i don't eat my lunch before my second dose of the day, i may have trouble eating, or if i take my second dose reallll late, ill have a little trouble sleeping. But these problems were not everyday and not severe.

I recently just moved from new york to Kansas and have found my prescriptions are being filled with the Corepharma 20 mg pink round pills. The first day i started taking them, i found i could concentrate and focus, but after about an hour of it kicking it, i started getting jittery, and then even becoming very tired, finding myself nodding off. After about a week and a half on it now, i'm finding the same results as the first day, but when a dull constant headache. My parents have told me that i am edgy and not the same, although i can't tell. All in all, i'm quite upset with these Corepharma pills and am going to stop taking them and try to find a pharmacy around here with the Barr generics which i find extraordinarily helpful, with little side effects.

I have never had the brand name Adderall IR, and if i can not find the Barr generic around here, i will give it a try and let you all know how it goes...

As for Adderall XR, i know very little, i was originally perscribed it, and once again had the Barr generic, it worked well, but i found it basically impossible to eat lunch/throughout the day and switched to the IR on suggestion from my doctor after only a few months on it.

Is it possible the inactive ingredients effect absorption rate, or how the drug effects your body at all?
Old 06-30-10, 10:30 PM

sleepy is on a distinguished road

Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Suflate
(Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Asparatate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate)
Barr Laboratories Inc. * Ver: 2 (R4)
Feb 18, 2010 Tablet ANDA
ANDA040422 Human Prescription Drug Label
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE 5 mg
AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE (AMPHETAMINE)
AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE 5 mg
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE 5 mg
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE (AMPHETAMINE)
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE 5 mg
COLLOIDAL SILICON DIOXIDE
STARCH, CORN
MAGNESIUM STEARATE
CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE
SACCHARIN SODIUM
FD&C YELLOW NO. 6

Adderall
(Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate)
Shire US Inc. Ver: 1 (R3)
Sep 18, 2006 Tablet
Human Prescription Drug Label
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE MONOHYDRATE
(AMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE
(DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE
LACTITOL INACTIVE
MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE INACTIVE
COLLOIDAL SILICON DIOXIDE INACTIVE
MAGNESIUM STEARATE INACTIVE
OTHER INGREDIENTS INACTIVE

Dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, dextroamphetamine sulfate and amphetamine sulfate
(Dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, dextroamphetamine sulfate and amphetamine sulfate)
Corepharma LLC * Ver: 9 (R4)
Feb 12, 2010 Tablet ANDA
ANDA040444 Human Prescription Drug Label
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE)
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE5 mg
AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE5 mg
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE)
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE5 mg
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE 5 mg
LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE
MAGNESIUM STEARATE
STARCH, CORN
D&C RED NO. 27

Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate
(Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate)
Sandoz Inc * Ver: 7 (R4)
Feb 12, 2010 Tablet ANDA
ANDA040470, ... Human Prescription Drug Label
DEXTROAMPHETAMINESACCHARATE(DEXTROAMPHETAMINE)
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE5 mg
FD&C YELLOW NO. 6
LACTOSE MONOHYDRATE
MAGNESIUM STEARATE

Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, and Amphetamine Sulfate
(Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, and Amphetamine Sulfate)
Teva Pharmaceuticals USA * Ver: 2 (R3)
Nov 09, 2007 Tablet
Human Prescription Drug Labeling
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE)
AMPHETAMINE SULFATE5 mg
COLLOIDAL SILICON DIOXIDE
STARCH, CORN
MAGNESIUM STEARATE
SACCHARIN SODIUM
FD&C YELLOW NO. 6

DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SACCHARATE (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET AMPHETAMINE ASPARTATE
(AMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE
(DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) ACTIVE 5 MILLIGRAM IN 1 TABLET AMPHETAMINE SULFATE
ACACIA INACTIVE
CORN STARCH INACTIVE
LACTOSE INACTIVE
MAGNESIUM STEARATE INACTIVE
SUCROSE INACTIVE
FD&C BLUE #1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
mzstar (11-22-11), starry (12-18-12), StoicNate (07-01-10)
Old 06-30-10, 10:51 PM

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
pcassiano (11-10-10), starry (12-18-12), Timm625 (07-01-10)
Old 06-30-10, 10:52 PM

as you can see, sandoz has the fewest, hardly any fillers. does seem like the original adderal may be sold at some doctor's offices repackaged. i wonder if its possible to have our docs order it?
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (07-01-10)
Old 06-30-10, 11:32 PM

ALSO ON THE FEB2010 BARR, BUT NOT ON THE CHART IS:

In addition, each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients:
colloidal silicon dioxide
compressible sugar
corn starch
magnesium stearate
microcrystalline cellulose
saccharin sodium.

The 5, 7.5 and 10 mg also contain FD&C blue no.1 aluminum lake.
The 12.5, 15, 20 and 30 mg also contain FD&C yellow no. 6 aluminum lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
starry (12-18-12)
Old 07-01-10, 01:17 AM

Timm625 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

I'm definitely going to my ask my doc as soon as i can, maybe even call around to a few different ones if he doesn't have it...

Also, I got a question, I've noticed that some have Amphetamine Asparate Monohydrate as an active ingredient, while some just simply have Amphetamine Asparate. What is this difference between the two? Or is there no difference, and some just happen to say it while others don't?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timm625 For This Useful Post:
sleepy (07-01-10), starry (12-18-12)
Old 07-26-10, 04:35 PM
Jr Member

Cassie5920 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pembliss View Post
Ok, I think I figured it out.

Shire sold the rights to manufacture the name brand to Duramed. Duramed was owned by Barr. So when Teva bought Barr, it also acquired Duramed and the rights to the name brand.

"dp" is the imprint for Duramed.

FINALLY! I COULD NOT figure that out before.

Ok, so to add more info, here is a photo of the Duramed 10mg tablet:

I can't find any information on NDC numbers or anything else (including other photos) at this point. But I'll work on it.
So, I just picked up my first rx for 10mg IR - twice a day (or broken up as needed as long as I don't go over the 20mg). Mine is the blue one with the upside down "d's" and "10" on the back. Are these the "good" Barr's or the bad ones? I mean, out of the Barr lovers out there.

Last edited by Cassie5920; 07-26-10 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-26-10, 06:31 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

its dp for duramed pharma which is owned by teva

these are the "new brand name adderall.

barr (owned by teva) makes these brand names not duramed.

but because barr make the generic. they dont want to have the tablets look by the same manuf

so they put dp. its legal anyways, they are all owned by teva.

so on the manuf bottle

brand would say (Teva) as the manuf
and generic would say barr. as the manuf

when i called to complain about the new brand formula to teva, they transferred me to barr.

when i called to complain about the generic to barr. barr number was not listed. instead they had teva 's number which is the same as before.

summary
1. brand with dp imprint made by barr (marketed as teva)
2. generic with b imprint is also made by barr (marketed as barr).

sugary and crumble pretty easy. both the same formula.
with the exception of barr little bit harder to crumble. which makes it last longer (little bit) in duration than the brand. but both are junk in my opinion.
Old 08-07-10, 11:07 AM

jimbob1978 is on a distinguished road

I'm 32 and have been on Adderall for about 6 months now. I'm a work-at-home web developer and computer programmer and do most all of my work online. I've been programming for about 20 years (yes, I started very early lol) and have been working online for about the past 5 years. I'm sure you can imagine how distracted I can get with all the YouTube'ing, FaceBook'ing, and everything else. Not only that, but I recently learned that my older brother was diagnosed some 25 years ago and he was on some form of this med for a while. But anyway, this is why decided to go see the doc about it.

The first month, the doc prescribed me the 20mg Generic XR type. I have no insurance to pay for this, so you can imagine my SHOCK when it ended up costing me some $140 to fill a 30-day prescription of "generic" Adderall. Also, I couldn't handle the "24-hour" medication. Why would I need it when I sleep?!? I spent several different days up for more than 24 hours.

The next month, I had the doc give me the IR type, so that "I" could choose when to be medicated throughout the day. He prescribed me "Barr b973 (20mg)" type. However, the pharmacy (CVS - I just picked one at random when they asked), gave me the "Sandoz E401 20mg" type even though the label on the bottle said "b973". This was only about $40. I was confused when I got home, so I looked it up, determined that it was in fact 20mg Adderall, and I took them anyway. They were OK I guess. I couldn't tell if they were better or worse than other brands, since I have not had anything other than the 20mg XR before. It was a lot better for me than the XR.

The next month, I got my script refilled again at CVS. This time, they actually gave me the right kind (b973). I found these to work much better for me than the previous month's brand. The doc instructed me to split the pill up into 2 halves and take one half in the morning and then then other half in the afternoon (a 10/10 split). I did that for a while, but I find it works better when I do a 15/10 split. Sometimes I do not even take the 2nd half of the day's dose. However I do it, I make sure I have enough left to make it the whole month without running out.

On the side-effect front, the only thing that I have noticed is the weight-loss. Before starting Adderall, I had developed a "beer-gut" and weighed about 165lbs. I gained most of this over the last 2 years due to various reasons. I was around the 140lb mark for most of my adult life. Now I am back down to my normally skinny self, hanging around the 140lb mark. It's not that I don't eat any food or anything, it just seems like no matter how much I eat, I can't keep any extra pounds on. This is fine with me. If I "do not" eat, I lose weight very quickly (I lost 4 pounds over a 24-hour period a couple times, but "pigged-out" and got it back). I have always had a very high metabolic rate though. The doc also has me watching my diet, since I have a slightly high blood-pressure (well, as high as 125/80 is pfft). This is sort of a catch-22 though. If I eat unhealthy/fattening foods, I can maintain my weight but have "high" blood pressure. If I eat "healthy" foods, I will wither away to nothing, but have good blood pressure. I certainly do not want to give up the meds just yet. They are working so well for me. Without them, I feel I will fall back into my unproductive state and bankrupt myself. What's a guy to do?? I only wish I had this back in my school-days. I was always the "eh, who gives a ####, I'd rather be somewhere else, just do enough to barely graduate" kind of person. Who knows where I would be today if I could have actually paid attention in class and cared about it!

On the pharmacy front, like I said, I initially chose CVS just because. That was a bad idea, because they will charge you out the yen-yang. Two months ago, I switch my pharmacy to Wal-Mart, and now I can get the same b973's for only about $20/month, as compared to CVS's $40.

One final observation about the "generic" form of this medicine - well, the b973 type anyway. I find that while breaking my pills in half, some break easier than others. The ones that are hard to break just don't seem to work as well as the easily-broken ones. My only guess is that the "harder" ones have more "fillers" in them or something. Just my guess though...

Well, I just thought I would share my experience. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

Last edited by jimbob1978; 08-07-10 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: just a few typos and additional info