ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-07-10, 11:45 AM

jules28 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

I've been on Adderall IR for a month, and tried the Sandoz brand at my brother's recommendation. It has done wonders for me, so I have no plans to try a different generic. The only problem is that I can only find it at a small pharmacy that is not very close to my house. I'll deal with that, though!
Old 08-12-10, 04:02 PM
Jr Member

MRS_Update is on a distinguished road

I received "Sandoz" at my last refill, but it was still blue and scored and marked with the Eon "E". Did Sandoz just buy out Eon and allow them to continue producing and branding their version or what? Just curious.

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught" ~Winston Churchill
Old 09-12-10, 06:32 PM

TXMockingbird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

After 8 months taking Vyvanse and it seeming to lose the effect it once had, I started generic Adderall today-- 30 mg in the morning, and then 30 mg five hours later. The company making the generic i'm taking is CorePharma. I was too late for the morning dose, so I took it at 2 pm and won't take a second dose later.

Will keep this thread apprised of progress or anything unusual. I'm also keeping a blog on it.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-10, 05:10 PM

JShhhh is on a distinguished road

CVS filled my generic 20 mg IR script using Eons. For the past several months, they've worked well in that I have not developed a 'tolerance' to them as I had previous brands--however, I've gotten some RAGING headaches and neck tensions...which seem to coincide with the time I switched to this brand.

However, they always seem to come at the end of the day (and I always seem to forget to take that third dose and the headache comes at juuuust the worst time --when I don't want to risk taking it at 8:30 at night but can't just go to bed). Additionally, I'm in grad school and tend to run myself ragged and get insufficient sleep or nutrients for periods. So, who knows if it's the pill or 'user error' (i.e. my own fault!)
Old 11-18-10, 03:47 AM
Jr Member

beauregard21 is on a distinguished road

I posted this in a different thread originally, but I felt it could be useful here. If, anyone has any questions about my post just write my name at the beginning of a new post and ask. I check back often, and I'll try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Just did more research than was necessary and here's what I found:

When looking at the ACTIVE ingredients, NOT inactive ingredients there is a difference between SHIRE (original Adderall) Corepharma, and Teva/Barr Sandoz
The difference comes in when you get to the molecular formula and how generics get approval to be sold as generics.

Here's what it comes down to Teva/Barr and Sandoz use Amphetamine Aspartate in their formulas.
Shire and Corepharma use Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate, denoting a single molecule of H2O attached to this one chemical.

So, Shire and Corepharma have an H2O molecule that Teva/Barr and Sandoz DO NOT have. Doesn't seem like that big of a difference right? But wait there's more!
Consider that there are FOUR amphetamine molecules used in Adderall: Dextroamphetamine Saccharate - Dextroamphetamine Sulfate - Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate (sometimes JUST Aspartate) - Amphetamine Sulfate.
Now ALL FOUR of these amphetamines have ONE basic molecule, that denotes that it is an AMPHETAMINE and that is C9H13N, and that's where you find the real difference. Using this one basic molecule negates the H2O difference, for example if you had the MONOHYDRATE version it would be CxHxN(H20).

Sandoze's formula is C9H13N with a molecular weight of 135.21
Corepharma's formula is C9H14N with a molecular weight of 136.21
Small, but could be the difference. And when you calculate in the Monohydrate between the two the difference grows.
Sandoze's Aspartate is C9H13N(NO4) weight 213.21
Corepharma's Aspartate is C9H14N(NO4)(H2O) weight 232.23
Larger difference isn't it?
I couldn't find the formulas for Teva/Barr or Shire.

How can they do this and still be an equal generic? Because for a medication to become a generic it only has to show equal pharmacodynamics (how it affects your brain) and pharmacokinetics (how your body disposes of it) and it doesn't have to be exactly the same. And since pharmaceutical companies can still protect their formulas after a patent ends (this also would be the reason for the difference with MONOHYDRATE) other companies must come up with their own.

So, you may have thought you were getting Coca-Cola when you're in fact getting Pepsi. And like the difference between those, I think it comes down to your individual preference (and biological makeup).
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to beauregard21 For This Useful Post:
7eeing7evens (10-18-12), hopehope (12-17-10), love2knit (01-11-12), NHite143 (07-11-12), purpleToes (12-27-11), ScrambledSpunky (09-16-11), starry (12-18-12), StoicNate (12-24-10)
Old 12-20-10, 06:45 PM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road

Wait, so I'm a tad confused... I was given Corepharma on my last refill and I prefer Barr. I'm calling around today looking for Barr but I came on this thread to check something...

So... is Barr/Teva the same thing now or...? The lady told me they carried Teva at my local Walgreens. So am I good to go?
Old 12-24-10, 01:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nickis2legit will become famous soon enough

Just got my "AMPHETAMINE SALTS 20MG TABLET" Common Brands(s): Adderall MFR: BARR. They're the peach ones with the b 973 imprinted on the back, I take it these are generics because they only cost $5. This is my second month on adderall, I was on 70mg vyvanse for 5 months now I got switched to 50mg vyvanse and 20mg adderall. How hard is it to come across name brand adderall? or does it even exist anymore? I hope these work better than the corepharmas I got.

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."
Old 12-26-10, 05:43 AM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickis2legit View Post
Just got my "AMPHETAMINE SALTS 20MG TABLET" Common Brands(s): Adderall MFR: BARR. They're the peach ones with the b 973 imprinted on the back, I take it these are generics because they only cost $5. This is my second month on adderall, I was on 70mg vyvanse for 5 months now I got switched to 50mg vyvanse and 20mg adderall. How hard is it to come across name brand adderall? or does it even exist anymore? I hope these work better than the corepharmas I got.
AHH! So the Barr does still make the peach/orange ones? Those were the ones I loved. I will have to call around until I find someone with them. So your bottle said barr then? This thread is sounding like teva/barr are the same now..? Arrgh.

'cause one place I called said they had teva and I wasnt sure if they'd be the same ones..
Old 01-16-11, 09:36 PM

x3017 is on a distinguished road

Any recommendations for pharmacies stocking Sandoz? Maybe prices for uninsured?
Old 02-05-11, 04:38 PM
Jr Member

generations is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstix View Post
AHH! So the Barr does still make the peach/orange ones? Those were the ones I loved. I will have to call around until I find someone with them. So your bottle said barr then? This thread is sounding like teva/barr are the same now..? Arrgh.

'cause one place I called said they had teva and I wasnt sure if they'd be the same ones..
teva is a isreali based corporation that bough out barr about 3 to 4 years ago, since then they have been making there own "enhancements" to barr adderall, which in my opinion sucks balls.... barr are the most common ones it shouldnt be hard to find them.

@ x301

believe me i called 45 different pharmacies and 1 in my are carried sandoz with them, im in love with sandoz i believe they make the best ones,

give me ur area zipcode ill try to look for the pharmacies in ur area that carries them. it wont be in the chain pharmacy stores as they are being monopolized by barr/teva

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to generations For This Useful Post:
CallieT (04-15-11), nonalori (04-29-11)
Old 02-26-11, 03:04 AM

Oasis77 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this post!

It's only been 4 months. My doc Rx'd me Adderall 10mg XR in am and Addderall 10 mg IR early pm.

Of course my health insurance will pay for the generics first...

So far I am noticing a HUGE difference!

I end up getting the generic for Adderall XR 10 mg which says "Amphetamine Salts" (cannot tell who makes this) and it is not anywhere near as effective as my IR...

CVS gives me generic Amphetamine Salts made by Barr in place of my Adderall 10 mg IR...I feel the most clear, calm and focused on this one. I even feel it is more effective than my XR and seems to last the same amount of time as crazy as that sounds...?!

I meet with my doc in a few weeks..I am tempted to just ask her to write me a script for Adderall IR's 2 or 3 times a day...

I am just suprised b/c I thought the XR was supposed to last longer..I'm wondering if it b/c its a generic?...
Old 04-01-11, 12:58 PM
Jr Member

Saxman7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickis2legit View Post
Where did you find these for only $5? I've never seen any store charging near that price...
Old 04-01-11, 01:03 PM
Jr Member

Saxman7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3017 View Post
Any recommendations for pharmacies stocking Sandoz? Maybe prices for uninsured?
If you are paying too much, go to:
http://www.pathtobettercare.com/Pages/GetCard.aspx

You can sign up & obtain a Rx Drug discount card, and it's free.
You get some pretty substantial discounts, I can buy my meds at even less than at my own Kaiser pharmacy. They have an on-line drug cost calculator & which local pharmacies will honor the card.
I just noticed on their site, that the card is now good for discounts in lab & image testing, so I'll have to check that out, too..
The Following User Says Thank You to Saxman7 For This Useful Post:
NHite143 (07-11-12)
Old 04-15-11, 09:06 PM

CallieT is on a distinguished road

Hey Generations,
I am with you on the EON/Sandoz brand. The blue Teva crap (10 mg IR) gave me nothing but a headache. Then when the doc increased my IR dose to 20MG I went to COSTCO, and they gave me BARR. Nice buzz but compared to Brand name, especially with the XR these are useless.

I live in the BOSTON, MA area, went as far as calling the manufacturer then the distributor reps, but they wouldn't tell me which pharmacy carried Sandoz/EON.

Since there has been a backorder on 30 mg XR generic here, I went to WALGREENS which carries the GLOBAL brand, what a difference! I am focused and active for hours, the way a Brand Name would work.

Any help would be much appreciated with the Sandoz carriers.
thanks!

PS: I just got Corepharm 20mg IR and I usually get BARR, which is better? from this post seems CP is crap, but that was last year....anything changed?
Callie

Last edited by CallieT; 04-15-11 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-11, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

pianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone here taken Adderall IR as a booster in the afternoon in conjunction with an XR add med such as vyvanse?

I am on Vyvanse 40 mg and think I need a booster for the afternoon... When they add boosters in the afternoon, is it safe to add an Adderall IR booster on top of Vyvanse?

I am going to my Dr. tomorrow and need some info.

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
--(Source unknown)