ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-09-11, 11:59 AM

Stargazer1537 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

Thankyou so much for the post with the pics! I have had ADHD since I was about 5 years old. I have been back and forth on my ADHD meds ever since due to my mom feeling "I didn't need them!" Everytime I was on the meds it was always adderall and 90% of the time I would work my way back up to 2 to 3 20mgs a day (depending on school work etc) and I would be fine! Anyway I was off of them for for about 5 years thinking I could get along just fine without meds! I failed out of college and my life literally went to hell in a handbasket to say the least. Finally I realized I needed to go back on my meds to get my life in order. My doctor started me on 10mgs which I got the Barr generics I was fine except for the fact I felt like I needed a dose increase. I went up to the 20s and I was fine as far as my mood etc, but I didn't want to be on 2 20mgs a day in fear that I would be back up to 3 20mg in no time and being older I have a phobia of getting addicted to the meds after reading drug facts etc... they were also Barr. So I started on the 15mg twice a day Barr generic and now I am getting bad headaches and I'm easily agitated. I can't figure it out. First of all, all previous times I have been on adderall it has always been the Barr generic 20mgs(they looked exactly the same as in the picture) and I have never gotten agitated or had the horrible headaches I was on the 10mgs n never had the problems. So why with these 15s am I having these problems! I at first wanted to think it's all in my head cuz they look different then the 10s n the 20s. (I'm just being paranoid! Was the thought) After a few months it's still not changing. And in the middle of all this I moved to a different state and have a new dr so I'm not as comfortable with my new dr as I was with my previous doctor. They say these meds are the same and you would think with the same manufacturer there would be the same consistency of the filler.. Anyone else have these problems? I've been looking all over the Internet for an answer and they say agitation = too high a dose, but if that is so why am I fine on 2 20mgs a day.. It's not making sense to me at all!!!
Old 07-01-11, 01:25 PM

joeblack949 is on a distinguished road

I posted earlier anyone getting headaches on this medication its probably due to a magnesium defeciency. get some chelated magnesium and start taking it every day whenever you take any amphetamine based prescription. it will do wonders for managing your tolerance too.

I've been on this med for at least 5-6 years so I know it pretty well, your agitation is much like how i feel if i were to take just enough to barely feel it but not enough for it to work. That's called threshold. It's a ****ty place to be but better than how you feel when you wake up before you take it.

Try taking a break for 3-4 days and to reduce your tolerance. If you're unable to take 3-4 days off due to **** that needs to get done, work, school, whatever...then you may need to ask for a dosage increase. I'm sure this isn't the best nor recommended way of getting through those 4 days, cuz those days can be really ****ty I sleep through them honestly with the help of lots of valium. I load up on my valium, I really don't even have anxiety problems anymore I just use the valium to goto sleep when I need to and to get me through those breaks i have to take from adderall to help tolerance. Sleeping through them is much more tolerable imo than waking up getting ready and feeling no interest in anything whatsoever. I'd rather be full on functional or asleep. the in-between is hell.

I take 90-120mg a day of the sandoz(the only one that does it for me) and it just barely works for me. This is only because of my extreme case and the 5-6 years of taking medication. tolerance will definately be an issue you'll deal with many times in your adderall experience. Everyone deals with it differently it depends on your situation and will be different for everyone both short and longterm, where you want to be with your life, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1537 View Post
Thankyou so much for the post with the pics! I have had ADHD since I was about 5 years old. I have been back and forth on my ADHD meds ever since due to my mom feeling "I didn't need them!" Everytime I was on the meds it was always adderall and 90% of the time I would work my way back up to 2 to 3 20mgs a day (depending on school work etc) and I would be fine! Anyway I was off of them for for about 5 years thinking I could get along just fine without meds! I failed out of college and my life literally went to hell in a handbasket to say the least. Finally I realized I needed to go back on my meds to get my life in order. My doctor started me on 10mgs which I got the Barr generics I was fine except for the fact I felt like I needed a dose increase. I went up to the 20s and I was fine as far as my mood etc, but I didn't want to be on 2 20mgs a day in fear that I would be back up to 3 20mg in no time and being older I have a phobia of getting addicted to the meds after reading drug facts etc... they were also Barr. So I started on the 15mg twice a day Barr generic and now I am getting bad headaches and I'm easily agitated. I can't figure it out. First of all, all previous times I have been on adderall it has always been the Barr generic 20mgs(they looked exactly the same as in the picture) and I have never gotten agitated or had the horrible headaches I was on the 10mgs n never had the problems. So why with these 15s am I having these problems! I at first wanted to think it's all in my head cuz they look different then the 10s n the 20s. (I'm just being paranoid! Was the thought) After a few months it's still not changing. And in the middle of all this I moved to a different state and have a new dr so I'm not as comfortable with my new dr as I was with my previous doctor. They say these meds are the same and you would think with the same manufacturer there would be the same consistency of the filler.. Anyone else have these problems? I've been looking all over the Internet for an answer and they say agitation = too high a dose, but if that is so why am I fine on 2 20mgs a day.. It's not making sense to me at all!!!

Last edited by joeblack949; 07-01-11 at 01:37 PM..
Old 07-01-11, 01:28 PM

I more specifically want to point out I failed to mention its best not to take the magnesium with your medication, but before or after. I didn't mean to take it at the same time when I said take with, i just meant same time in general as in whether you're taking the medication or not. I kind of do a little of both and take some when i wake up and after the last one i take of the day. If I don't I get terrible jaw and shoulder pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack949 View Post
I posted earlier anyone getting headaches on this medication its probably due to a magnesium defeciency. get some chelated magnesium and start taking it every day whenever you take any amphetamine based prescription. it will do wonders for managing your tolerance too.

I've been on this med for at least 5-6 years so I know it pretty well, your agitation is much like how i feel if i were to take just enough to barely feel it but not enough for it to work. That's called threshold. It's a ****ty place to be but better than how you feel when you wake up before you take it.

Try taking a break for 3-4 days and to reduce your tolerance. If you're unable to take 3-4 days off then you may need to ask for a dosage increase.

I take 90-120mg a day of the sandoz(the only one that does it for me) and it just barely works for me. This is only because of my extreme case and the 5-6 years of taking medication. tolerance will definately be an issue you'll deal with many times in your adderall experience. Everyone deals with it differently it depends on your situation and will be different for everyone both short and longterm, where you want to be with your life, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-11, 01:51 PM

I find it quite interesting to note that 2 weeks ago when I went to refill they only had 60 of my 90 at my CVS. Knowing nowhere else in town was going to have Sandoz/EON, I sacrificed the 30 to have it re prescribed on its own pad today as I'm noting the bottle getting close to empty.

I thought where the hell am I going to find it now. I figured my success at the local CVS was an isolated case where they just happened to have backstock sitting on the shelves and chocked it up to luck. I decided to call the CVS hoping they'd have a suggested place cuz where I live the mega corporation pharmacies have eliminated the independents and I was short on ideas.

They oddly enough have it in stock again. I thought everyone would like that. PROOF THAT CVS CAN ORDER EON/Sandoz. I think it is due to knowing there was no alternatives to the mega corp pharmas in the area and enough complaints about the barr\teva as they kind of ackowledged in their own way I wasn't the only one who asked for that at all previously. Whatever it was was enough that the pharmacist cared enough to do something about it here and because of that it was done. Whatever they end up telling you will most likely be a lie. Make no mistake pharmacies mostly operate at the convenience of whatever the pharmacist wants. So don't take it as being the final word or the truth at all in every case.

The pharmacist actually went out of his way to re-order EON/Sandoz for me and received stock, at a CVS no less! This leads me to believe that really each CVS is going to be run the way the pharmacist wants and thats that, nothing you can do about it but do know they can damn well order that for you they just dont.

it ticks me off and makes me smile at the same time. I don't know how else to react lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack949 View Post
Heres a better picture of Eon/Sandoz 30mg IR for your page, I noticed your picture was weird and think it has to do with the reflective film on the tabs.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/320/eon30closeup.png

Eon = the best
CorePharma = Used to be a close second, now about as effective as a punch in the face.
Barr = the Name Says it all, I wish someone would Barr these from being given to people, theres no telling the damage its caused add sufferers everywhere that don't know the difference in generics

Also I was able to pick up #90 Sandoz/Eon 30mg Tabs at CVS, although it was only because of luck, or an angel smiling down on a frustrated CorePharma Sufferer.

Proof

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7...dderallweb.png
Never hurts to call a major chain as they may have a stockpile somewhere

Prices without Insurance also, I've found with IR MG hs nothing to do with price its the qty 99% of the time

#90 30mg Barr (pretty universal) $35
#90 30mg CorePharma at Walgreens with W Card $58
#90 Sandoz at CVS $68 (was quoted $126 over the phone though)

And to those who get headaches from adderall take magnesium supplements, theres a ton of literature about this on google already so I wont rehash it, do your research. It also lowers youre tolerance.

Joe
Old 07-02-11, 01:05 AM

hyungnim is on a distinguished road

so long! when you tell the doctor(s) don't they find you the right generic brand or brand that brings back the therapeutic focus? or is that the problem..the makers have just stopped making it altogether.. scary to me because I am just starting to find the one I want to take...the one to get filled...
Old 07-02-11, 01:22 AM

hyungnim is on a distinguished road

maybe you can help me with what happened to me. i took 10mg corepharma and i could feel it..got lots of work done...then i got 20mg corepharma and i could not feel them at all..even had a terrible falling out with the doctor over it because he wouldn't let me fill another brand for the rest of the month...what happened???? it was a huge mess ;....
Old 07-20-11, 04:53 AM

sleepy is on a distinguished road

maybe some of you who feel the barrs differ monthly haven't noticed there are barr pills by barr and barr pills by teva. if you dont look at the bottle you may just assume its barr but its teva. as far as i know at this time only barr manufactures 15mg. so ive been sticking to that. the teva barr pills give me ridiculous dry mouth
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (12-27-11)
Old 07-20-11, 08:36 PM

jnay765 is on a distinguished road

I guess I should have read this before posting a new thread about my generic pills not working the same...! This discussion makes me feel like I'm not going crazy after all.

I was on Adderall IR for a little over 2 years, and it worked great. I don't know what brand it was because it never occurred to me back then to check it. I was taking 40-50mg a day, and they were oval pills (orange 20, blue 10). When I lost my job and my insurance, I stopped taking the meds, and stayed off them for a little over a year. As of the past 2 months, I'm back on again, and this time I'm feel HORRIBLE!!! First thing I noticed was the pills look different - the 20mg are round instead of oval. I didn't really think too much about it until I started taking them, and felt just awful. (I'm taking the Barr generic IR) I get bad headaches, my vision is blurry, always sick to my stomach, I'm developing OCD habits and ticks, my heart always hurts and/or feels like it's skipping a beat...I just feel 'cracked out'. I've also noticed that about an hour after taking my first dose, I already start feeling it wear off. I've continued taking them thinking eventually it would stabilize, but it's just not.
Old 07-20-11, 09:59 PM

cpg1106 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnay765 View Post
I guess I should have read this before posting a new thread about my generic pills not working the same...! This discussion makes me feel like I'm not going crazy after all.

I was on Adderall IR for a little over 2 years, and it worked great. I don't know what brand it was because it never occurred to me back then to check it. I was taking 40-50mg a day, and they were oval pills (orange 20, blue 10). When I lost my job and my insurance, I stopped taking the meds, and stayed off them for a little over a year. As of the past 2 months, I'm back on again, and this time I'm feel HORRIBLE!!! First thing I noticed was the pills look different - the 20mg are round instead of oval. I didn't really think too much about it until I started taking them, and felt just awful. (I'm taking the Barr generic IR) I get bad headaches, my vision is blurry, always sick to my stomach, I'm developing OCD habits and ticks, my heart always hurts and/or feels like it's skipping a beat...I just feel 'cracked out'. I've also noticed that about an hour after taking my first dose, I already start feeling it wear off. I've continued taking them thinking eventually it would stabilize, but it's just not.
I got diagnosed with ADHD a few weeks ago and was prescribed 20 mg Adderall to be taken in the morning. It is the Barr brand as well. I am having the exact same problems as you. Most of the times when I take it, I feel nothing. Sometimes I feel it kick in and its great, but it lasts me less than an hour. In the afternoon, I develop horrible headaches that just wont go away and my heart feels as if it will beat out of my chest. I feel cracked out too, like you said. I cant describe it, but I feel like this Barr makes me a different person. I've even had people tell me how I seem like a zombie now. I have an appointment in the morning, so I'm hoping the doctor will give me a new Rx. I have lurked on this site for a few weeks, and after reading others similar problems, I really believe that Barr is a bad brand. Hopefully tomorrow, I can try the Sandoz brand and my body will react alot better to it.
Old 08-04-11, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

soccerboy has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerboy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg1106 View Post
I got diagnosed with ADHD a few weeks ago and was prescribed 20 mg Adderall to be taken in the morning. It is the Barr brand as well. I am having the exact same problems as you. Most of the times when I take it, I feel nothing. Sometimes I feel it kick in and its great, but it lasts me less than an hour. In the afternoon, I develop horrible headaches that just wont go away and my heart feels as if it will beat out of my chest. I feel cracked out too, like you said. I cant describe it, but I feel like this Barr makes me a different person. I've even had people tell me how I seem like a zombie now. I have an appointment in the morning, so I'm hoping the doctor will give me a new Rx. I have lurked on this site for a few weeks, and after reading others similar problems, I really believe that Barr is a bad brand. Hopefully tomorrow, I can try the Sandoz brand and my body will react alot better to it.
i take the blue 10 mg barrs, and they are definitely cracked out! They are good for waking my *** up but I want to clean and organize on them. Recently they started making my heart hurt... kind of like when I knew I drank way too much caffeine. My mom said that I look ****ed and irritated a lot. I do not like the feeling of being on them, but I also am really impressed at the steps and overall quality of life. But this anxiety/chest pains are so intense that I have to stop taking barr. Only 9 more days until i can get a new fill and will be looking around for sandoz.
Old 08-20-11, 09:03 AM
Jr Member

amiadhd is on a distinguished road

Heres one Pembliss, u mite already have since this post is a yr old and I mite have overlooked. Its a orange gel cap with amph salts imprint 20mg bottle only states mfg: Glo. Thanks for ur time entering the data and research uve done a thorough and articulatejob.
Old 09-10-11, 06:33 AM

DARPA123 is on a distinguished road

I believe Barr to be mediocre at best - Barr is owned by an Israeli company (Teva) and you can bet they are looking to capitalize on quick profits and could care less about customers. Barr has been cited by the FDA regarding manufacturing irregularities in the past and in fact because they were ignored the FBI/DEA under orders from the FDA raided their manufacturing facility in the past. Confirmed past reports included dosage irregularities both above and under the pills listed strength.

Barr, like many of you reported, has made me feel like a crack head where you get a fast burst and the next thing all you are looking to do is lay down. Yet, that said, on occasion I would get a random "good" pill.

The EON 20 mgs (IR) seem to have a consistent and balanced - true Adderall - feel. I seek EON out when I can - however these days I am lucky to get most of my script filled since so many pharmacies sell out of their Adderall stock.

I am off to do a morning run - will try to list my findings in more detail going forward.

Awesome thread - thanks to those that have contributed - it sure is nice to know that I was not going crazy after all!
Old 11-22-11, 06:03 PM

mzstar is on a distinguished road

1st post here! Though been reading for a while... Since I started on Adderall back in... hmm... March-ish. Always taken generic IR. Started with 5mg pills cut in half, and over a few months got to my current dose of 30mg 3x/day (though sometimes I take less at night and/or a bump more in the morning, since my circadian rhythm is totally wonky/backwards)... 1st I got was core, which helped at first but felt dirty and tense compared to when I tried Barr (that my friend had when I was out and forgot my meds at home.) Found that Wallgreens (in Southern Cali) all carried Core and that Rite Aid carried Barr, so moved to them for prescription fills... even though Wallgreens was cheaper... (how they'd be now with the price hike, I can't say)... THOUGH...
last month I went to refill and they were out. VERY out. all over LA!! & in fact, the month before I had to call about 10 Rite Aids till I found one with my script in stock and proceeded to drive 60miles for it! *gasp* ...

Well, with about 3 days left, I *just* called a Costco* in Orange County to see if they have the 90x 30mg IR that I need filling. Yes, they do. *happy dance* Brand: Sandoz, which I have never tried. But seems that people here that dislike Core, favor Sandoz or Barr. Though Barr vs Sandoz is... well... bah. doeasn't matter. Everyone's different at different times, too. And, the Barr affectivity / formula seems kinda inconsistent, so hopefully Sandoz will do me good. Very curious & kinda nervous if it's bunk or bad, but if I hate it, I'm sure my Drs will write me a new script. (Though I don't have insurance so $ doing that'll suck)
but... overall, I'm kinda optimistic

*PS: I've been told to go to Costco for months, since a friend who gets Barr at a good price always goes there, but they're always so inconvenient for me to get to. && I tried going to fill my script 3 different times (!), & failed for different reasons each time, so kinda gave up... point: Tomorrow I am going to get Sandoz, for the 1st time, from a Costco in the OC. I'll gladly report my experience/cost afterwards if anyone's interested. (can't be worse than anything else though, I think to myself, as I ramble on, and on, realizing it's a: time for my next IR dose, and b: I don't think the Barr's working all that well anymore . . . *fingers crossed for Sandoz!!
Old 11-23-11, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

LittleD1981 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmTheChaos View Post
Thanks, pembliss! I'm sure this thread will be very helpful for many people.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a picture of Teva "Brand Name" Adderall IR 30mg:

(Sorry for the poor image quality!)

I will try to find an official ingredient list. But, I do know for a fact it has Saccharin in it (blech). This is what gives it that sickly sweet taste and lingering aftertaste.

I find this especially perplexing, since the Feingold diet and other dietary sources for treatment of AD(H)D specify to avoid Saccharin completely. Yet, Teva/Barr still chose to include it in the formulation for no apparent reason.
In response to this post (I don't know if I'm repeating information or not, as there are far too many posts to read through them all), I just wanted to state my experience with this Teva name brand Adderall, as I just filled a prescription for it last week. It does look as pictured; however, it does not have a sweet taste. The majority of the time I fill my Adderall, I get a generic brand (can't remember who) and it's shaped like an oval and that one has a sugary taste to it. I'm guessing so it's easier for kids to take. Just wanted to clear that up.

"Dana is making good academic progress at this time. She needs to settle down, listen better, and be neater at all times."--comment from kindergarten teacher

"Dana is doing well academically. Socially she needs to settle down and worry about herself more and others less."--comment from 1st grade teacher
Old 12-13-11, 01:26 PM

namaste11 is on a distinguished road

does IR really expire when it says it does on my prescription bottle? the pharmacy doesn't have any more and I found a bottle with a weeks supply of "just in case" is it worth taking it?