ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-13-12, 12:57 AM

Mattd0344 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyMusic View Post
While I don't take Adderall for my ADHD, I take Teva produced Dex IR. I have had a bunch of side effects in the last month or so from the Dex. It may just be that I am still getting used to it, but I am also wondering if Teva is messing with the formulas of their stimulant medication. The Dex IR was working great for me until a month or so ago.

I was thinking of trying Adderall, but now I'm not sure, reading through this thread.

Anyway just my $.02 cents.
I'm not sure if they have been messing with the formula, but my script for July, the teva generic adderall in 10mg IR seems to be almost ineffective.

I still had a couple pills left from the month of June and they were perfectly fine.

I'm hoping that I just got a bad batch for this month, but I may be switching to Sandoz for my next script.
Old 10-06-12, 11:18 PM

ocilac is on a distinguished road

same. i also take generic 10mg IR; my last script was july 10th in south carolina, that was fine though maybe weak (Ill never know if its tolerance or the drug) but my recent script last week is ENTIRELY unaffective.
The Following User Says Thank You to ocilac For This Useful Post:
starry (12-24-12)
Old 10-17-12, 03:12 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

My drugstore only carries Barr and Corepharma. The barr makes me too anxious and I don't like how the CorePharma wears off. What is with this? I remember taking it when I was in college about 4 years ago, I don't know what brand, but I had no trouble with it. I'm on IR 10mg. Is the Sandoz really worth the hunt to find it?

Would it be strange to find a new pharamcy for just the adderall IR and ask them to order a specific brand?

I'm thinking of switching to XR now, but my insurance decided this year it's going to stop paying for the brand only. Now they only pay for the generic this upcoming year which is strange...since I heard there were problems with the generics of XR. So are the generic XRs okay?

Argh! This is so frustrating!
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-02-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-12, 05:40 PM

hbpennington is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Old 11-07-12, 02:23 PM
Jr Member

sangeeta is on a distinguished road

I'd like to thank you all for this thread. Until recently I thought this was all bunk and there was no way that generics could affect people so differently. How wrong I was. I was given Sandoz to start with 20 mg/day. Loved it had no side effects except thirst and not hungry. Then 2 months later for a refill I was given Barr. It sucked. I got little from it and I ended up with feeling like I did prior to any meds, anxious, cranky, not motivated, hyper. The sandoz made me calm and quiet. I just went to my dr and asked her about it. She said she had heard of it but I was her 1st patient that brought it up. She wrote my script to request that I only be given Sandoz. Needless to say the pharmacist questioned the whole thing. He said all generics are the same and I really shouldn't be having this problem but he filled it correctly. Back on Sandoz everything seems better. I'm focused and even tempered. It's actually alarming reading all the stories on here about how common this is. I would think the med/pharm society would be more aware of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sangeeta For This Useful Post:
Cnkack (12-03-12), SBSBsbsb (11-26-12)
Old 11-26-12, 03:32 AM

SBSBsbsb is on a distinguished road

I think you should hunt for the sandoz brand. Don't waste your time. I'm studying 6-10 hrs a day for a board exam and I've noticed a hugeee difference between the two. I was taking the oval 30 mg barr tablets 3x a day for 3 months and I couldn't concentrate as well +/- felt like a zombie. I would literally fall asleep after taking 60 mg or just zone out starring at my laptop. I even switched to eating nothing but basic foods and avoiding all pH lowering ones. I thought I was building a tolerance/or felt really burnt out, so I went on a drug holiday for a month (wasted month 4). Started the barr ones again and they were worse than before (october). This led me to start taking magnesium 400 mg + 2 extra strength fish oil supplements every night. I feel like the barr oval pills just recently went downhill in the past few months b/c Ive never had a procrastination problem/demotivated feeling before. I would have to start my day off reading motivational quotes. Anyway, this month costco gave me the sandoz/Eon brand and I'm able to focus again, without having to wake up and read motivational quotes. I'm not sure if its the magnesium<< sandoz brand that fixed my issue, but Im leaning more towards the brand. I would have never even thought to search adhd forums to see if there was difference between the generic brands until I got that stupid batch...I almost think it made my adhd worse than before...scary! Sighh, and I'm only writing this post b/c I think these companies need to fix their **** and stop screwing us over so effing bad. I will talk to my psychiatrist about this also. I'm hoping Sandoz keeps making good batches.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SBSBsbsb For This Useful Post:
ADDPanda (12-02-12), sangeeta (11-26-12), The Absent Mind (12-10-12)
Old 12-10-12, 05:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSBsbsb View Post
'm studying 6-10 hrs a day for a board exam and I've noticed a hugeee difference between the two. I was taking the oval 30 mg barr tablets 3x a day for 3 months and I couldn't concentrate as well +/- felt like a zombie. I would literally fall asleep... I would have to start my day off reading motivational quotes. Anyway, this month costco gave me the sandoz/Eon brand and I'm able to focus again, without having to wake up and read motivational quotes... I would have never even thought to search adhd forums to see if there was difference between the generic brands until I got that stupid batch...I almost think it made my adhd worse than before...scary! Sighh, and I'm only writing this post b/c I think these companies need to fix their **** and stop screwing us over so effing bad. I will talk to my psychiatrist about this also. I'm hoping Sandoz keeps making good batches.
What you say sounds very familiar to me. I have had similar experiences.

This isn’t just tolerance either. Like many of you, I have various older scripts to compare to and the difference is obvious. For me most of the problems seem to stem from the IR generics. (Though I have noticed some differences with the potency of some of the brand name, like Vyvanse too). I think one of two things are happening.

One, the IR formulations are being screwed with to discourage abuse. or...
Two, the IR formulations are being screwed with to encourage the use of Brand name formulations.

Does this sound paranoid? Maybe so. But something has happened to this stuff. After all, look around online and read about the many individuals—many who have taken stimulant drugs for years without issue—that complain about this very thing.

So the question is why? Well, I think the answer may be simple. Money.

Keep in mind, not only might both of the above medication alterations be perfectly legal, but doing anything else might very well be illegal. Why? Because the employees of the corporations have a legal obligation to maximize shareholder wealth. That’s why corporations exist. That’s the law.

And the active ingredients (i.e. the amp salts) probably are identical to the name brand formulations, just like they say. BUT, that’s not to say that the other ingredients are affecting the bio-availability of these active ingredients the same way. What if, for instance, the cruddy generics have some inactive ingredient that causes the amp to be less effective? Maybe it’s cheaper too. Or it could be that the name brand formulations have some inactive ingredient that makes the amp more effective?

Would the big pharm corps be wrong to change the inactive ingredients around to encourage the sale of the name brand drugs? Sure it’s a ****ty thing to do to all of us, but don’t the corps have a responsibility to their shareholders?

But here’s the thing. Shouldn’t these corps also have a responsibility to people? I mean think about it—any of us that have gone through this “fluctuation of effectiveness”—would any one of us doubt for one moment that messing with people’s meds like this can drive a person bat-**** crazy?

I shudder to think what it must do to the children who take this stuff and don’t know any better. I read a while ago about how one young boy (I think he was five) with ADHD who was having these all-too-familiar issues with his meds, laid down in the middle of the road because he wanted to die.

Anyway, I just thought I’d chime in and say that you’re not alone. You’re not crazy. It isn't your fault. It isn't you. It isn't what you eat, or what supplements you take. Most of the time that is coincidence. It is the crappy medication, and don't forget it!

I’ve been having problems like this for a while now too. Stick it out. They will have to fix it at some point and when they do, we’ll feel better again.
greenjay (10-19-13), rlb2011 (12-11-12), starry (12-18-12)
Old 12-18-12, 04:08 AM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: The Official Adderall IR Generics Information Thread

I've been on 30 mg IR (2x 15 mg pills a day) for years and the effects have mostly been consistent but I knew I was due to up my dosage for a long time now, since my ADD had stopped improving and had lost my daily motivation again, not being able to finish tasks, but my binge-eating was still under control, so I wasn't in that bad of a state. Still 90% better than without any Adderall. A week ago, my doctor finally agreed to up my dosage and put me on 40 mg a day. I was so happy when I got my new presciption filled and so looking forward to feel the improvement once again. I ate my usual breakfast of a small bowl of almond milk and extra-protein cereal, took my multi-vitamins for the day. Then as I've always done it the same way for years, took my Adderall exactly an hour after eating. Usually I would feel it kick in about 15 mins maximum. This time.....nothing. Then after 30 mins I felt it a little bit. But it was VERY DIFFERENT this time. I barely felt anything, except sleepiness and lack of motivation. Also started to feel depressed. Also I kept wanting to eat, when I knew I wasn't hungry or anything. I craved "finger foods".... just like the horrible "old days" before I was diagnosed with ADD and put on Adderall. 6 hours later, I took my last dose for the day and was hoping this time would be different. But no. Same thing. A week later, nothing has changed and I have also figured out what had changed. The effects of the new 20mg's felt like barely even a 5mg!
I checked the 2 bottles and found out that my old prescription were b777's by Teva and my new ones were E 401's by Sandoz. I had always gotten the same generic brand, from the same pharmacy and loved the Teva ones... but I absolutely HATE the SANDOZ brand!!
It doesn't do anything for me and I don't know what the pharmacy will say when I call them in the day time. I just wanted to give it a week, so I can tell them that I did give it enough time. But I can't function at all on these horrible placebo-like pills they gave me. Does anyone know if they'll take the rest back and replace it with my old generic brand that works for me?? My next refills are in 3 months, and there's no way I could manage that long on these Sandoz ones that make me sleepy, hungry, depressed (and I wasn't even depressed before taking these), unmotivated and unable to focus again. I'm very surprised to read that so many people here actually like Sandoz better... They remind me of the blue pills (Corepharma- yikes!) that I took in the beginning, when I had first started taking Adderall IR. They were 5/10mgs I think. Then I was given the 20 XR and it was such a HUGE difference! But I prefer IR's due to the price as well as the ability to have control over the hours and when to take it depending on my schedule and day.
PS: I had some pills left over of the Teva's and took them for one day, and immediately I felt them kick in and working and they lasted around 5 hours, as they always do.

In short and IMO: Sandoz makes the WORST generic Adderall. Even worse than Corepharma and Corepharma is horrible.
I loved Barr, but Teva is still ok. I do believe that Teva has somewhat altered the formula, since taking over Barr, but the difference is not that drastic. Or I have developed tolerance...
The Following User Says Thank You to starry For This Useful Post:
The Absent Mind (12-21-12)
Old 12-18-12, 03:02 PM

mannip23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry View Post
I've been on 30 mg IR (2x 15 mg pills a day) for years and the effects have mostly been consistent but I knew I was due to up my dosage for a long time now, since my ADD had stopped improving and had lost my daily motivation again, not being able to finish tasks, but my binge-eating was still under control, so I wasn't in that bad of a state. Still 90% better than without any Adderall. A week ago, my doctor finally agreed to up my dosage and put me on 40 mg a day. I was so happy when I got my new presciption filled and so looking forward to feel the improvement once again. I ate my usual breakfast of a small bowl of almond milk and extra-protein cereal, took my multi-vitamins for the day. Then as I've always done it the same way for years, took my Adderall exactly an hour after eating. Usually I would feel it kick in about 15 mins maximum. This time.....nothing. Then after 30 mins I felt it a little bit. But it was VERY DIFFERENT this time. I barely felt anything, except sleepiness and lack of motivation. Also started to feel depressed. Also I kept wanting to eat, when I knew I wasn't hungry or anything. I craved "finger foods".... just like the horrible "old days" before I was diagnosed with ADD and put on Adderall. 6 hours later, I took my last dose for the day and was hoping this time would be different. But no. Same thing. A week later, nothing has changed and I have also figured out what had changed. The effects of the new 20mg's felt like barely even a 5mg!
I checked the 2 bottles and found out that my old prescription were b777's by Teva and my new ones were E 401's by Sandoz. I had always gotten the same generic brand, from the same pharmacy and loved the Teva ones... but I absolutely HATE the SANDOZ brand!!
It doesn't do anything for me and I don't know what the pharmacy will say when I call them in the day time. I just wanted to give it a week, so I can tell them that I did give it enough time. But I can't function at all on these horrible placebo-like pills they gave me. Does anyone know if they'll take the rest back and replace it with my old generic brand that works for me?? My next refills are in 3 months, and there's no way I could manage that long on these Sandoz ones that make me sleepy, hungry, depressed (and I wasn't even depressed before taking these), unmotivated and unable to focus again. I'm very surprised to read that so many people here actually like Sandoz better... They remind me of the blue pills (Corepharma- yikes!) that I took in the beginning, when I had first started taking Adderall IR. They were 5/10mgs I think. Then I was given the 20 XR and it was such a HUGE difference! But I prefer IR's due to the price as well as the ability to have control over the hours and when to take it depending on my schedule and day.
PS: I had some pills left over of the Teva's and took them for one day, and immediately I felt them kick in and working and they lasted around 5 hours, as they always do.

In short and IMO: Sandoz makes the WORST generic Adderall. Even worse than Corepharma and Corepharma is horrible.
I loved Barr, but Teva is still ok. I do believe that Teva has somewhat altered the formula, since taking over Barr, but the difference is not that drastic. Or I have developed tolerance...
It just goes to show you everyone is different. Barr gets me way to jittery and I can't focus like I can with others. Its fine for physical labor but not for studying or desk work. Sandoz is the brand I prefer and I am more than willing to go to a mom and pop pharmacy 30 miles away to get them. It is just like the old shire ir but maybe 5% weaker. Corepharma is hit or miss. I remember the first time I got them at Walgreens there was no active drug in them at all. I am prescribed to 4 30mg a day so I know they we not adderall. I couldn't believe it I was so ******. However the mom and pop pharmacy sneaks corepharma on me maybe 10 percent of the time and its as good or if not better than the Sandoz Eon brand. I think the problem with Corepharma is just at Walgreens and their distributor IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mannip23 For This Useful Post:
starry (12-24-12), The Absent Mind (12-21-12)
Old 12-24-12, 03:20 AM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannip23 View Post
It just goes to show you everyone is different. Barr gets me way to jittery and I can't focus like I can with others. Its fine for physical labor but not for studying or desk work. Sandoz is the brand I prefer and I am more than willing to go to a mom and pop pharmacy 30 miles away to get them. It is just like the old shire ir but maybe 5% weaker. Corepharma is hit or miss. I remember the first time I got them at Walgreens there was no active drug in them at all. I am prescribed to 4 30mg a day so I know they we not adderall. I couldn't believe it I was so ******. However the mom and pop pharmacy sneaks corepharma on me maybe 10 percent of the time and its as good or if not better than the Sandoz Eon brand. I think the problem with Corepharma is just at Walgreens and their distributor IMO.

Thanks for the feedback Very interesting!
And yes, it must work different for us all. I think Sandoz might have been OK for me, if it was a higher dose. The 20 mg (2 x a day) truly feels like only a 5 mg to me. Barely any effects and wears off in 2 hrs or so, but I know what you mean by being similar to Shire. The very minimal effect that I did feel in the first hour reminded me of it.

Called my pharmacy and talked to them about the problem. Nothing they can do until my prescription runs out they said, but they told me that they can order Teva for my next prescription, if that's what I prefer, so that's good

They did also tell me that Sandoz is cheaper Teva, which I didn't know. I didn't ask how much cheaper or why it's cheaper.
Old 12-28-12, 10:13 PM

Cnkack has disabled reputation

Cheaper? Really??

I actually paid $22.00 today for Sandoz and when I get Barr or CorePharma I pay $5.00 to $10.00.

That of course is after my insurance.. I am not sure if it is different with out?
Old 12-29-12, 01:04 PM

Cnkack has disabled reputation

I have taken all three "brands" and I just filled Sandoz yesterday for the first time. I can definitely feel a difference in the three, and the doctors who prescribe them do not know this because 9 times out of 10, they haven't even taken them to know! So how can they really help?
My practitioner, however has! So, she is VERY understanding and knows exactly what I am talking about and that is what I love about having her manage my medication. Very informative, and knows what she is doing.

Anyhow, here is how I feel so far and this will most likely change because I did just fill sandoz yesterday and I probably need to give it a few more days...

Corepharma: A speedy effect, in terms of needing to get things done ASAP and more sociable. However, I am still able to get school work done and focus but I do tend to get easily distracted with other things. For instance: talking to people, browsing the net; aside from studying and school work.

I had a lot of issues when I took the 20mg corepharma, when it came to cardiovascular problems. I will never take a 20mg all at once again, and asked to please never be prescribed a 20mg pill. I am now back at 20mg total for the day after the cardiovascular ordeal and doing fine, but it is spread through out the day with 5-10mg pills, two to three times a day.

Barr/Teva: No speedy effects, at least not too noticeable, I can get things done calmly and it actually helped my OCD habits (I have problems with "perfecting" things, and making sure everything is straightened up, to the point that it makes me late for everything because I won't leave the house or get ready until it looks right. I hate it!)
I can get work done and concentrate, however my ADD habits of being distracted easily are still there, but not as prominent as it is on the corepharma.
I do get palpitations from time to time, but not near as often. Socially, I am more withdrawn and like to keep to myself and I don't like that feeling at all!

Sandoz: So far, I feel a mix of both corepharma and barr. I really can not say too much yet. However, I can say I like the fact so far that I only get a noticeable palpiation/pvc randomly, maybe once every few hours and it seems to be more so when it is wearing off.

I like the social aspects of corepharma over all and wish there was a way to get all the positive effects in one pill. Sometimes I try and tell myself it's the placebo effect, and it's all in my head but for the most part I really do not think it is. There is truly a difference in how each pill works, or at least in how the body absorbs it, and how they react to it. Since as we all know, every BODY is different
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cnkack For This Useful Post:
rlb2011 (12-29-12), starry (01-04-13)
Old 12-30-12, 04:39 PM

anery9467 is on a distinguished road

I took the 20mg. Shire/Brand NameAdderall for years and it was great. It was smooth and kept me focused and I didn't "crash" after 4 hours. I kept taking "Brand Adderall" (if you want to call it that) when Barr/Teva took over. The effects started out the same started out the same, I piqued after an hour, and after 2 hours I became lethargic and my focus was definitely dulled. By 4 hours I was crashing - feeling jittery so i tried the generics and Barr works best for me.

I agree that everybody has different reactions to generics, so it's really important to find the one that works best. Also, all the Walgreens in my area used to order CP, but about 4 months ago they switched to Barr. Don't know if it's nation wide or regional. Does anyone else get Barr at Walgreens?
The Following User Says Thank You to anery9467 For This Useful Post:
starry (01-04-13)
Old 01-02-13, 09:12 PM

mamasaurusrexxx is on a distinguished road

I've taken 20mg adderall twice a day for my adhd successfully. I've always gotten Barr-Teva. I've read here long ago about the generics differences, but hadn't experienced the corepharma. Well my usual pharmacy was out and couldn't Refill. I had already been out 6 days bc I have no INS and couldn't budget it until then...

Went to Target pharmacy, whack-*** corepharma. I can notice a major difference. My head feels foggy, otherwise I don't feel a thing. This sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mamasaurusrexxx For This Useful Post:
starry (01-04-13)
Old 01-04-13, 01:56 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnkack View Post
Cheaper? Really??

I actually paid $22.00 today for Sandoz and when I get Barr or CorePharma I pay $5.00 to $10.00.

That of course is after my insurance.. I am not sure if it is different with out?
That's what the pharmacist told me. That Sandoz is cheaper. I didn't see much of a difference in what I paid. Still an arm and a leg (I pay around $260 for 180 pills), since I don't have insurance anymore and my doctor insists on prescribing 2 pills a day, rather than letting me use a pill cutter and cut a 40mg in half. I prefer not having to do that either, but it would save me $130 that way. And since my doctor isn't cheap either, it would have been nice to be able to pay a little less in this terrible economy right now (hence why I had to cancel my insurance).