ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-19-10, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road
Best anxiety med (SSRI) with least side effects??

What a good med out there for anxiety with the least side effects. I am worried about long term problems like sexual problems.
Thanks
Old 04-19-10, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice
Re: Best anxiety med (SSRI) with least side effects??

Cin,

Every brain is different (fortunately!)

Medicating anxiety disorders—like treating anything else—is going to be a trial & error effort involving a pretty good time commitment in order to find the right med/dose/dosing schedule.

Regarding your serotonin levels:
Your reuptake might be fast, you might just not produce enough to begin with, or perhaps both. Nobody knows w/o trial & error.

My experience:
Through years of being on different SSRI/benzo combos, I've found that 10mg of Lexapro every other day is just enough to keep me from losing control over my anxiety—and just enough to keep me under the threshold for the rather crappy sexual side effects of SSRIs in men. Xanax is only an "as needed" thing; I carry one with me, and the knowledge that I have it is enough for me not to have to use it

10mg Lexapro dieb. alt. works well to smooth out the transitions between Adderall doses, too. Hooray for science!

~OD
Old 04-24-10, 11:06 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice

I have to say, that Lexapro is awesome. The first time I took it, I had a reduction in libido. This time now, my libido appears to be normal. So, it's very interesting, and just goes to shows that different drugs work differently at different times etc.

But I will say that coming off of Lexapro, was a breeze. I had zero side effects except for just returning to "myself". I felt great coming off it. It had done its job at that point, got me through a really hard period. It was a life saver.

Lexapro works well and works quickly, and I don't think I am having any side effects to be honest. And it is nice to know, that when I want to stop taking it, I can, and it won't be a big deal.

I think it is a fantastic medication, and I would recommend this one to anybody.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-10, 11:55 AM

Thanked 17,454 Times in 7,288 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I took Celexa for a week. Every day, almost exactly 8 hours after taking it, I would have a dizzy spell so bad that I had to sit on the floor (chairs were too high) regardless of where I was.

Paxil stopped working after about 3 years.

Cymbalta was great for 4 years until I started having serious problems remembering words. . .not just the big ones, all of them.

But that's me. Each one of these has been used by other people with great success for longer periods of time.

An SSRI, no matter which one you try, may have side effects you don't like. Those side effects may go away over time. Your depression may lift enough to make the side effects tolerable, it may not.

The only caution is that if you take one, even for the minimum of the 4-6 weeks it takes to judge whether it's working or not, you still need to taper down to get off it. Stopping an SSRI cold turkey is wicked awful.
Old 04-24-10, 12:37 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Depends on your circumstances but Mirtazapine worked well in my case.

Worth investigating. First week knocks you out but it's fine after that.

Only side-effect was increased appetite.
Old 04-24-10, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareacc View Post
Depends on your circumstances but Mirtazapine worked well in my case.

Worth investigating. First week knocks you out but it's fine after that.

Only side-effect was increased appetite.
I had to look that one up to see it's Remeron. It COMPLETELY knocked me out at first. I was just flat on my bed, like every muscle in my body relaxed, which was a good thing. I also lost weight because I just slept all the time. Unfortunately, I switched to a new neurologist soon after and he changed my medication. So, I don't know how it would be long term, but I've wondered.
weareacc (04-24-10)
Old 04-24-10, 05:18 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-n-Spin View Post
I had to look that one up to see it's Remeron. It COMPLETELY knocked me out at first. I was just flat on my bed, like every muscle in my body relaxed, which was a good thing. I also lost weight because I just slept all the time. Unfortunately, I switched to a new neurologist soon after and he changed my medication. So, I don't know how it would be long term, but I've wondered.
Yeah, that's the stuff!

That first week just disappears into a pit of "don't care" :-D

did a good job for me for about 18 months until I was ADD diagnosed. Might go back to it if my Asperger treatments don't help with anxiety.
Old 04-24-10, 05:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

What did it really do for you? I never got very far with it because of the neurologist. He was treating me for migraine and Fibromyalgia. I can't remember what he put me on then. This was about a decade ago, though.
Old 04-28-10, 11:21 PM
Jr Member

zRookz is on a distinguished road

I took citalapram (celexa) earlier this year (before I was diagnosed with ADD) for about a month, I did feel like it helped my depression, but it wasn't really what I needed at the time. I've now been on dexedrine for 3 weeks, (which totally relieved my depression among a host of other issues) and I've gone back to citalapram for my anxiety (primarily social, a little GAD and panic). Been on it for 3 days, noticing nothing so far.

I have a feeling that citalapram isn't going to do it for my anxiety, and I'm eager to find something more effective to try, so if anyone has tried a few anti-anxiety treatments and wants to share their insights, I'd love the advice

I should mention that when I took citalapram earlier, I did notice a significant decrease of the libido, however, still being rather young, I didn't mind it at all. In fact I found it rather convenient as it contributed to my overall stamina.
Old 04-29-10, 12:55 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice

Lexapro is a relative of Celexa, but "cleaner" and more potent. It acts quickly and is very effective. I would try the Celexa out first, and then if it doesn't do enough for you, try out Lexapro. Or just jump straight to Lexapro.
Old 04-29-10, 03:34 AM
Jr Member

zRookz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Lexapro is a relative of Celexa, but "cleaner" and more potent. It acts quickly and is very effective. I would try the Celexa out first, and then if it doesn't do enough for you, try out Lexapro. Or just jump straight to Lexapro.
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to like lexapro (escitalopram), especially in comparison to the older celexa (citalopram). It's too bad the patent isn't expired yet. Does anybody know the price difference? I get 30x 20mg of generic citalopram for under $10; and I don't have any insurance.
Old 04-29-10, 11:53 AM
Contributor

Then keep taking Celexa. You've been on it for a short time. Give it a few weeks, and then increase the dose if you need to. They are very similar drugs, so I think you should make sure 100% that this one isn't going to work before paying more for Lexapro.
Old 05-01-10, 01:27 PM

flurry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareacc View Post
Yeah, that's the stuff!

That first week just disappears into a pit of "don't care" :-D

did a good job for me for about 18 months until I was ADD diagnosed. Might go back to it if my Asperger treatments don't help with anxiety.
I have to say that I hated lexapro, was on it for two years. It made me feel 'leashed' and inhibited. Mirtazapine/ Remeron is much different and I liked it as it didn't 'mess with' my serotonin, in the re-uptake way that I now know that I do not like.

Remeron seemed to work much better for me, as it works on dopamine and norepiniphrine... two chemicals which ADHDers could usually use more of. It also works well with stimulants.

I did not experience the weight gain and increased appetite that so many people report - perhaps because of the methylphenidate. But, it also did not knock me on my *** the first week either - I just felt a bit stoned until my body adjusted.
The Following User Says Thank You to flurry For This Useful Post:
jaminja (05-19-10)
Old 05-01-10, 01:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Marla911 has a spectacular aura aboutMarla911 has a spectacular aura about

Team lexapro. If you don't mind sleeping ALLL The time. but then agian if you're highly anxious, sleeping all the time isn't so bad. It's one of the newest SSRI's and developed to have very little side affects - which was certainly my experience and I've been on nearly all the ssri's and am apparently ''hyper-sensitive'' to the side affects. oh yeah it does give you that unable to cum thing tho. that kinda sucked. don't know an ssri that doens't cause that tho.
Old 05-08-10, 02:18 AM
Jr Member

jucafelix is on a distinguished road

I took Paxil for 4 years and I had the worst time of my life When I quit. Also, After a while off it, I noticed I was kind of numb while I was on it. I´m now on Lexapro and just told my doctor about my concerns for it being on the same antidepressant class as Paroxetine. I hope I will get along better with this drug, even though I´ve been feeling really sleepy.