ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Tourettes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-04, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Question Touretttes and Music

I was wondering if anyone else may have this problem or may have noticed it with their tics.

Do your tics have a tendency to get worse depending on the type of music you are listening to?

If I am listening to something more energetic, mine increase.
Old 06-23-04, 08:45 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
I don't tic any more or less to different types of music, but I have different tics.

Death Metal - Shoulder jerking, making fists (I sqeeze until it feels okay and then let go), and roll my eyes...

Enya / Andrea Bucceli (sp?) - abrupt sounds, like barks and gasps, and my head keeps jerking upward

Just a few examples. bleah.

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
Old 06-28-04, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Piupau is on a distinguished road
Cool! I thought I was alone!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 08:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Glad to know that I am not alone on this one either.
Old 07-13-04, 03:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

No wonder ppl say I dance so good on disco. I CAN'T DANCE!!!! I tic on the dancefloor *Rofl* And it's even worse with alcohol because then I don't care about my tics and go "dancing"... I told my friend about exactly this "music vs tic" thing in may or june... He'd never heared about it, he's got a child with ts.
Old 07-16-04, 12:37 AM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
lol at least your tics look like dancing! I was listening to music with my room mate and a friend, they though I was having a seizure. Oye!

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
Old 07-16-04, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Depends on what music you're listening to
Old 07-27-04, 10:34 PM

zakool21 is on a distinguished road
I have a bit of a hard time sitting still while listening to music, but nothing in particular. Kind of just moving with the beat, but more than your average person.
Old 08-10-04, 04:12 AM

Trebor is on a distinguished road
You might find this interesting. I happen to be a jazz musician of all things (A trumpeter) and while I perform for everyone, I'm tic'n off at the same time. I am a Jazz Improv soloist and to say the least, Tourette's has actually helped my jazz. A factoid you all might not be aware of is that people with Tourette's tend to be more musically adept than the rest of the world. This is partialy because of the fact that TS is an Autism Off-Shoot.

We just interpret music in a much different way than the rest of the world I like to think of my tic's as me always dancing in some way to the music in my mind. And let me tell you, thats a lot of music.

Let me also add that, people love a Jazz Artist that looks alive I've become famous in my community for my trademark pocket watch, my funky dancing while playing (the tic's, and sometimes my tics hit me while i'm playing, thus, they become a part of the music I perform), and a great sounding horn

-Trebor

Last edited by Trebor; 08-10-04 at 04:36 AM..
Old 08-10-04, 08:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Oh my gosh, this is so amazing...........

I played clarinet in high school. But I hated marching season, I was always clumsey and could not play and march at the same time, then I had the worse time memorizing music, so I joined the flag corp. Well, I was still clumsy. I love to dance, but it is hard for me when it is more structured and not as free.
Old 08-11-04, 02:14 AM

I'm given freedom when I perform on the marching field. I have enough control of my tourettes to not make it ovbious to judges and I am given artistic freedom when I play solo's on the field
Old 08-11-04, 02:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Aw wow Trebor,that is fantastic that they allow you to do that. We had an excellent Band leader and even won awards, but the freedom that you speak of was not allowed.
Old 08-12-04, 05:49 PM

elainewillerton is on a distinguished road
My son plays trumpet at school.I really luv concerts.The drums are woderful!I luv to tap my hands on my thighs to the beat.,my feet go as well!I can't dance though,I get all out of sync.Wen I was younger I wood get reeeely drunk,then I just didn't care!I don't get drunk now though.If I go to pub now I usually get all ticky so I don't enjoy it much anymore.Really heavy "music" doesn't agree with me either.Wen I'm on my own at home I like it to be quiet.
Old 08-12-04, 08:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Welcome here Elaine! I can't dance either. Even less when I'm drunk, I tic more when I'm drunk When I go out I hate the discos but like the pubs. In a pub you can be your self and TALK instead of shout to your friends. But there is a good thing about disco too, when the strobes come... let it all loose. Everyone just think you're doing a cool dance act *g* When I was 18 and quit school I was on the dancefloor, pretty drunk. My classmates were so happy to see me on the dancefloor and said later "We didn't know you could dance." Yeah right! *rofl* If they only knew what I was ACTUALLY doing there. But now I'm relaxed and I don't care if I tic.
Old 08-14-04, 02:22 AM

I was lucky to even get that freedom lol. We won state championships for the 2003 season of my senior year in Virginia in a USSBA competiton. My school is Westfield H.S. (Since then I have graduated. They keep calling me back in for gigs however lol).