ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-04, 03:05 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
(New?) Reputation User CP switch

I was scanning through the "new look" forum site (great improvement!) and noticed something I hadn't noticed before -- a User CP option "Show Reputation" and a count of "reputation points". Was this present before and I missed it (possible but unlikely)?

I have searched the FAQs and this particular forum for "reputation" and found nothing (so I did RT*M....).

I would guess "reputation" refers to the title under a members handle ("ADDvanced Member", etc.). I also notice that my title changes from time to time, so I'm curious what goes into "reputation points" beside the amount of time I spend posting (for example).

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 06-21-04, 04:03 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,056 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Reputation has nothing to do with your title.

Your title changes from time to time, as you reach certain milestones in post count.

Reputation, on the other hand, is a reflection on how others can show their appreciation and approval (or disapproval) for posts and contributions you make at the forums.

If you wish, you may opt out of this feature by turning it off in the User CP.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 06-21-04, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I don't think I would want to look lol. Kinda like high school who's popular and who's not. Man, now I have to go thru and make everyone feel good about themselves it's a compulsion of mine.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-04, 08:04 PM
Contributor

Ok, the "title" bit is post-frequency related, I guessed as much. And I guess I have an answer to how the reputation point count is derived; but what I don't know is if the "points" are positive or negative, or what the value (say 20) "means".

BTW -- I'm not too concerned about my personal "reputation", not in an AD/HD forum. Aren't most of us "oversensitive", "impulsive", and "victims" of social ostracism (to some degree)? No one should be surprised.... If you can't stand the heat.....

On the other hand, I will respect the AD/HD life history of others in this forum by NEVER using the "thumbs up" / "thumbs down" lists in this forum. Of all forums, this is the one place I would hope to find absolute tolerance for our "gift", however painful the other "gifted" find it.....

Ken

Old 06-21-04, 08:10 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine you came in here for the first time, and found that when you posed a question, 2 people responded with answers...but, without knowing them before, how do you know they are giving you good advice? Perhaps there would be some way of checking to see what other people have thought of the advice they have given.

Just remember, that no one but YOU can see the comments that people add, when adding (or subtracting) from your reputation...

There really is no value in the reputation scale...Its just a fun thing. If people get upset over it, I'll just probably remove it completely.

Old 06-21-04, 10:31 PM
Contributor

Don't remove it on my account -- like I said, I'm more curious than concerned.

Ken

Old 06-22-04, 02:22 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Like I said I'm no longer that concerned with what people think of me; but, it is a nice way to let someone know they were right on the ball and I can definatly see Vince's concern with over sensitivity. I think perhaps it would be a good idea to let everyone know it's there, how to use it and why it's there. Unless of course in my abscence there was a post about this very issue. We have a LOT of poster's who deserve recognition for taking time everyday out of their life to not only give advice but to pick someone's spirits up and that shouldn't be overlooked least of all by US.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 06-22-04, 05:59 PM
Ghost in the Machine

I agree. In a perfect world we would have all this stuff already written about before we launched the new version of the forums.

However, this thread should suffice nicely If y'all have questions...ask

Old 06-23-04, 11:15 AM
Contributor

I guess I'm still not clear on what a score of 20 means -- 20 apples? 20 oranges? 20 quatloos? 20 bucks? 20 hits of a vote button by one person?

Ken

Old 06-23-04, 11:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
It means you got one positive vote worth 20 points. I got one vote and 20 points also.
Old 06-23-04, 01:19 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
a score of 20 means = nadado or something along those lines.

I've asked that my post counts and reputation be removed but I can't get clean of the business due to lack of options in the software if I remember correctly.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 06-25-04, 11:20 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
Hmm, so then my 12 points would mean ... :dizzy:
Old 06-25-04, 11:34 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Well, I just gave you another vote. The only option it had was approve or disapprove. It appears that one can only view one's own reputation anyways. I searched the vBulletin manual and it didn't explain very well.
Old 06-25-04, 11:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
Woo-hoo! 13 points now! So it appears that an "approve" rating is worth one point.
Old 06-25-04, 12:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Apparently there is "rep. points" and "rep. power" so that probably means a powerful user gave you one 10 point vote and normal users gave you three votes and a very powerful user gave me & vinceptor one 20 point vote (or something like that). However the only vote I know I got was from a relatively new member.

Hmm, I see now that the reputation can be viewed by holding your mouse over the green square in the upper-right of each post next to the number of posts. Everyone in this thread is "on a distinguished road" except vinceptor who is "off the scale" Hmmm. I just went to my User CP to turn off my reputation and that turns the green box black, making the hover text say that I've disabled my reputation. It sounds like Ian would prefer this although then it looks suspicious like what am I hiding. Anyways I don't really care, just got side-tracked exploring the question because it bugs me if I don't understand things.

Search the vBulliten forums with the term "reputation"
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/search.php

Here is a plug-in that will disable negative reputations:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62015
though I doubt that will be a problem.