ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-23-10, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Giving up the Vyvnase.

Much to my dismay I've finally realized I have to give up the Vyvanse. I just can not take the head itching another day. Even with the prescription antihistamine Vistaril/Atarax it still itches and the antihistamine sedates me too much. (I also had some little rashes - like a heat rash - behind my ears, around my nose/above the lip, between my breast and on my back, too.) I'd hoped the itching was from the hair product I'd used around the time I started the Vyvanse, but it's been too long to chalk it up to that.

I've also had hair loss, but am not sure if it's due to the Vyvanse or just the Vyvanse at least. Two nights ago I ran my fingers through my hair repeatedly and counted what came out. There were at least 40 hairs. I know a person loses around 100 a day, but 40 at one sitting seems excessive. Plus, I can tell in the front middle it's thinned. It's just a little thinner there already, but I brush it to one side or the other so it's not noticeable; really if it's not parted just right there you can't tell. It's not a big deal. But now I notice it more. It might be due to stopping birth control right before I started the Vyvanse, too. Maybe one or both. Two weeks after I started the Vyvanse was my hair appt, and she commented on my hair falling out (more than normal) as she brushed it at first. I just chalked it up to having just washed it before I went in, but it doesn't happen that much. I'm really not happy about the hair loss, I have to say.

So, I have a call in to my OB/GYN and appts with both my pdoc and endocrinologist next week. Good times, huh?
aarondev (03-30-11)
Old 04-23-10, 03:52 PM

Pyrrho has a spectacular aura aboutPyrrho has a spectacular aura about
Re: Giving up the Vyvnase.

Can't stress cause hair loss, or am I just remembering things

I started Vyvanse a couple months ago -- recently with Strattera added -- and the whole process of attempting to treat ADHD has only added to the anxiety / distractions so far. So many factors to monitor with the medication... dosage, timing, what you eat with it, exercise before / after, vitamins & other supplements, worrying about side-effects, etc. It just seems like it could be a never-ending process unless you get lucky and your doc picks the right med first try.

Maybe I just think about things too much, but I figured that was common with ADHD
aarondev (03-30-11)
Old 04-23-10, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Yes, stress can. In my case this has been less stress than some other events so I'm pretty sure it's not the stress.
Old 04-23-10, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

...as a 50 year old man diagnosed several months ago and on 70mg Vyvanse for 5 months, I finally gave it up. I worried about my blood pressure, my teeth, my emotional state and my personality.....the hair? "Heavy sigh"....well, that was something I gave up worrying about several years ago

I came to the realization that by 50 years old I had adapted, learned and overcome more of the so called "problems" associated with my ADHD than it was worth in trade off for medical/mental/emotional problems I had never had before, in addition to....yeah, I was more productive and organized and timely on medication....but it wasn't natural, wasn't me and wasn't comfortable....more robotic and far to "detatched" feeling. As some great philosopher said "to thine own self be true..." Meaning you should not try to change the basic nature of your being or natural state of any living thing for that matter. This is what I had achieved with my medication.

I discovered I had lost my spontaneous "kiddderness," I didn't seem to see the humor or irony in most things in my life as my first, natural reaction as I had before Vyvanse. I had become artificailly "grown-up." After a month or so on Methylphenidate (Ritilin) that did little to 5 or so months building up dosage on Vyvanse, I didn't like my attitude, the way I took comments, the way I perceived things around me, etc.....it was not me.

I have been off the Vyvanse a couple months now (why I haven't been online, that and school is kicking my azz) and I feel like my old self again....quick to laugh, hard to bait, easy to talk to and best yet I am even more accepting of myself, my quirks, short comings and faults.....they are part of me and who I am and none of them have ever intentionally hurt anyone, including me......and so what if I have to go back to calling people "hey you" because I still can't remember their name after working with them 2 months....they'll get over it, I already have

My final epiphony was that I had become more focussed and obsessed with what I and others "thought" about ADHD, dogmata, as oppossed to what it really was in my life, pragmata.....here was the source of my largest problems related to ADHD.....what I thought about it rather than what it actually was in my life.

I would certainly support anyone letting go of ADHD meds if they realized the trade off for symptom relief was a higher price paid in any part of their lives physically or psychologically.....for you Sit-n-Spin, maybe another med or, like me, a new perspective could provide an answer....hope you find it and wish you well...

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiddder For This Useful Post:
aarondev (03-30-11)
Old 04-23-10, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-n-Spin View Post
Yes, stress can. In my case this has been less stress than some other events so I'm pretty sure it's not the stress.
Have you already been through most of the other common ADHD meds?
Old 04-23-10, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrho View Post
Have you already been through most of the other common ADHD meds?
This was the first one, unless there are some anti-depressants that count in that category. Still, I didn't take them for ADD. I certainly do not think a change in perspective will help me. I've tried that for far too long. I do need some medication. I just want one that has little or no side effects, or at the very least ones I can deal with in some way.
Old 04-23-10, 06:25 PM

Quote:
This was the first one, unless there are some anti-depressants that count in that category. Still, I didn't take them for ADD. I certainly do not think a change in perspective will help me. I've tried that for far too long. I do need some medication. I just want one that has little or no side effects, or at the very least ones I can deal with in some way.
A bunch of anti-depressants are used for ADHD. Wellbutrin is the one I've heard of most, but Zoloft and Paxil (which function similarly to each other) also seem pretty common.
Old 04-24-10, 12:35 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I'm already taking Wellbutrin for the restless legs. (Taking the name brand, too.) I've taken both Zoloft and Paxil before. Nothing like that has really worked.

Just have to vent again about my hair. I am really upset about how much I've lost in the front. Not in my imagination at all. I can really tell it's thinned right in front.
aarondev (03-30-11)
Old 04-29-10, 09:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

myvinyl333 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Giving up the Vyvnase.

Quote:
I'm already taking Wellbutrin for the restless legs. (Taking the name brand, too.) I've taken both Zoloft and Paxil before. Nothing like that has really worked.

Just have to vent again about my hair. I am really upset about how much I've lost in the front. Not in my imagination at all. I can really tell it's thinned right in front.
Sorry to hear your issues with Vyvanse. especially the hair. I have not lost any hair yet, if I do, KISS IT goodbye. My V of choice is Vanity. For Real!

Besides, today is not a good day to ask me about medications.

jorge
Old 04-29-10, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

birdchica is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddder View Post
...as a 50 year old man diagnosed several months ago and on 70mg Vyvanse for 5 months, I finally gave it up. I worried about my blood pressure, my teeth, my emotional state and my personality.....the hair? "Heavy sigh"....well, that was something I gave up worrying about several years ago

I came to the realization that by 50 years old I had adapted, learned and overcome more of the so called "problems" associated with my ADHD than it was worth in trade off for medical/mental/emotional problems I had never had before, in addition to....yeah, I was more productive and organized and timely on medication....but it wasn't natural, wasn't me and wasn't comfortable....more robotic and far to "detatched" feeling. As some great philosopher said "to thine own self be true..." Meaning you should not try to change the basic nature of your being or natural state of any living thing for that matter. This is what I had achieved with my medication.

I discovered I had lost my spontaneous "kiddderness," I didn't seem to see the humor or irony in most things in my life as my first, natural reaction as I had before Vyvanse. I had become artificailly "grown-up." After a month or so on Methylphenidate (Ritilin) that did little to 5 or so months building up dosage on Vyvanse, I didn't like my attitude, the way I took comments, the way I perceived things around me, etc.....it was not me.

I have been off the Vyvanse a couple months now (why I haven't been online, that and school is kicking my azz) and I feel like my old self again....quick to laugh, hard to bait, easy to talk to and best yet I am even more accepting of myself, my quirks, short comings and faults.....they are part of me and who I am and none of them have ever intentionally hurt anyone, including me......and so what if I have to go back to calling people "hey you" because I still can't remember their name after working with them 2 months....they'll get over it, I already have

My final epiphony was that I had become more focussed and obsessed with what I and others "thought" about ADHD, dogmata, as oppossed to what it really was in my life, pragmata.....here was the source of my largest problems related to ADHD.....what I thought about it rather than what it actually was in my life.

I would certainly support anyone letting go of ADHD meds if they realized the trade off for symptom relief was a higher price paid in any part of their lives physically or psychologically.....for you Sit-n-Spin, maybe another med or, like me, a new perspective could provide an answer....hope you find it and wish you well...
I've wanted to post something alot like this but I didn't know if I should be more patient, give the meds I'm taking more time etc. I just started taking generic Ritalin IR and notice alot of the same things except that there are no more pro's!! I haven't completely written off meds, very grateful to have a dr's appointment coming up next week. Not sure if she'll write me a script for something different or if I should even ask. I'm almost to the point where I'd rather just deal with my quirky, restless, scattered self than sacrifice that passionate enthusium that I love about me. Sorry for hijacking this thread BTW

Sometimes I'm a leaf, being carried by my whims and random thoughts
Old 04-30-10, 10:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvinyl333 View Post
Sorry to hear your issues with Vyvanse. especially the hair. I have not lost any hair yet, if I do, KISS IT goodbye. My V of choice is Vanity. For Real!

Besides, today is not a good day to ask me about medications.

jorge
Well, it turns out there are many types of hair loss, and this is the disruption of the resting stage of hairs, so I'm losing the ones I'm supposed to lose and the ones that are supposed to be in the resting stage. We're pretty sure now it's the change in hormones since going off them a few months ago, which fits the time period for this type of loss. The dermatologist and endocrinologist said it should turn around in about six months. I never lost any after my pregnancy like many women do, so I guess my time has come.

So, you'll update us another day on your medication experience then?
Old 04-30-10, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

myvinyl333 will become famous soon enough

I will update in another post. Currently I wish I 'd never tried a new medication, the current stage is a place I hoped I would never have to visit again...but here I am.
jorge
Old 04-30-10, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sorry it isn't working out. It seems many people here have to try several before finding one that fits. I can empathize, though. I told my doctors (saw three this week) that for everything I did in the last few months to make my life better I ended up with all the same problems I had before and added hair loss and a rash! Great.
aarondev (03-30-11)
Old 04-30-10, 04:31 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

Maybe some of the head scratching is due to increased tics also like grinding teeth or playing with hair or even pulling them. It may also increased OCD. I am talking in general. obsess about a problem. Sometimes making a big deal of out and noticing the smallest details. Excessive cleaning and grooming. all these are associated with stimulant use. Another thing you have to increase your daily water intake so you dont get dryness and dry scalp might be the reason with scratching. that's what I hate about extended release, they just keep working even if you dont feel them. In my opinion, I dont think that vyvanse causes hair loss. it might be that you are starting to notice things in more detail now and assume that you losing hair because your just noticed it. Amphetamines increase prolactin which increase production of oil (acne) and oily hair scalp.
Old 05-01-10, 02:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_kelly View Post
Maybe some of the head scratching is due to increased tics also like grinding teeth or playing with hair or even pulling them. It may also increased OCD. I am talking in general. obsess about a problem. Sometimes making a big deal of out and noticing the smallest details. Excessive cleaning and grooming. all these are associated with stimulant use. Another thing you have to increase your daily water intake so you dont get dryness and dry scalp might be the reason with scratching. that's what I hate about extended release, they just keep working even if you dont feel them. In my opinion, I dont think that vyvanse causes hair loss. it might be that you are starting to notice things in more detail now and assume that you losing hair because your just noticed it. Amphetamines increase prolactin which increase production of oil (acne) and oily hair scalp.
I understand what you're saying, but that's not the case here. I have very noticeable hair loss, which friends, family and even my hairdresser have noticed. It's most likely due to my change in hormones about four months ago; that fits with the time line of this type of hair loss. The endocrinologist and dermatologist both think so, too. I was actually in denial about it after the hairdresser mentioned it, but can finally really see it, esp. in the front. It's pretty shocking that it could happen so quickly, although that also fits with the type (telogen effluvium) of hair loss, which means it will probably turn around in about six months. Some relief there, but it's still upsetting. I've heard so many women upset about this type of thing after childbirth.

And the scalp problem involves sores that popped up, like a rash, which I also have behind my ears and other places. There is someone here I posted back and forth with whose daughter has the same rash on another similar medication. I just wanted to clarify the situation for anyone in the future who might do a search and read this thread.

My hair and skin have been oilier, which it usually is just fine. I'll read about prolactin. Interestingly, one of the drugs given to women to help with lacatation is Reglan, which affects dopamine. It happened to give me Parkinson's-like symptoms (e.g. facial rigidity) within 48 hours. You'd think after all these years and so many specialists I'd have a better understanding of all of this.