ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 04-24-10, 02:43 PM

happyhippy1 is on a distinguished road
Strattera & Althethic Training - WARNING & TIPS & Sexual side effect advice

Hi Ive been taking this a fair while now.
Its a pretty good drug, does everything I wanted. Very minimal side effects other than prolonged orgasm (i'm male, so im not complaining!)

If you are interested, I train four times a week Intense power lifting, jogging, cycling and swimming. ALL INTENSE.

Be very careful not to take this UNTIL after training. I have actually passed out swimming, not good!!

TIPS:
  • Take it mid afternoon after a meal - you will get tired in the evening after work.
  • Supplement with ZINC to boost your sex drive : ))
  • WORK out more, excerise not only improves your mental state it makes you stronger, leaner and less prone to the side effects!
  • Avoid alcohol, cannabis etc (pretty obvious, they have nasty side effects with this drug
  • If your having sexual side effects - have sex more! seems to work for me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyhippy1 For This Useful Post:
CK302 (04-29-10), meridian (04-27-10)
Old 04-27-10, 10:37 AM

soda is on a distinguished road
Re: Strattera & Althethic Training - WARNING & TIPS & Sexual side effect advice

Thanks for your post. I have noticed since I started with Strattera about 6 weeks ago that I have a hard time getting in a good workout. I also noticed that after a long run I would have a dull headache all day long. I was taking the med before my workouts, which are in the morning. I will try and take it either after the workout or in the afternoon at the office. I am on 60 mg with a doctor visit tomorrow which I believe will be moving me to 80 mg. How much do you take?
Old 04-27-10, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

I have the found the exact OPPOSITE, I actually find that I get a much BETTER workout, this is especially true for cardio, I've talked to two other people that feel the same way(way longer and more focused).....Now keep in mind I split my dose and take the larger one before bed not anytime close to workout....Also keep in mind that people are just DIFFERENT, that is why there more than a few ADD meds and that is why dosage, therapy and drug cocktails all vary!
The Following User Says Thank You to Garbanzo Dude For This Useful Post:
meridian (04-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-10, 02:54 PM

I spoke with my doc today about the headache and he said that it should go away. He also said that the motivation loss should start to settle out soon. He is keeping me on the 60mg pill instead of the bump up because of the side effects I have been having. The only thing he said about when to take the pill is to try and make it as consistent as possible. I take it now at 6 am. Today I took it at 9am. Tomorrow I will try 12pm and move to later in the day to see how that helps with the morning work. There was not a workout this morning.
Garbanzo I think you are right also about maybe not taking my dosage near my workout time. I will see how this time change does and post later.
I did go out and get a Zinc Supplement yesterday and will also try to see how that helps.
Old 04-28-10, 10:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

Yes you MUST be very consistent with Strattera, for me time I take and if even the type of food effects it. Since it is highly protein bound it helps to take it with protein....Also I recommend that you have at least 1000mg-1500mg of Vit C, it helps with many brain chemical productions and for Zinc ZMA is the best one, most of the others are poorly absorbed, but don't go overboard with Zinc
Old 05-03-10, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
Thanks for your post. I have noticed since I started with Strattera about 6 weeks ago that I have a hard time getting in a good workout. I also noticed that after a long run I would have a dull headache all day long. I was taking the med before my workouts, which are in the morning. I will try and take it either after the workout or in the afternoon at the office. I am on 60 mg with a doctor visit tomorrow which I believe will be moving me to 80 mg. How much do you take?
I am taking 80mg. TBH this drug is a waste of money.
Drugs always seem like the quick fix...

zinc supps do help, as does creatine and whey isolate. In particular I found creatine very beneficial to my ADD. Strange..

Also try not eating for 18hours, and only eating within 6hours. Not only will you control fat absorption it also helped me control my symptoms although obviously now I'm on amoxetine!
Old 05-03-10, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy1 View Post
Its a pretty good drug, does everything I wanted.
Quote:
TBH this drug is a waste of money.
Quote:
This drug is a scam, it was never intended for ADD/ADHD.
I'm confused by your posts.

First it is "a pretty good drug," then "a waste of money," then in another thread it's "a scam."

Perhaps you should try another medication?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 05-05-10, 12:10 PM

So I moved the time I take the medication too Noon and I have had a good week of workouts in. Running does not give me a headache like it use to, I have not been in the pool since I which the timing. I think I will jump in tomorrow morning. I have also moved the Zinc supplement to the Morning.

The question I have is instead of taking these supplements one by one, why not just take a multivitamin and call it good?
Old 05-05-10, 03:40 PM

Yea its fine to take a multi vitamin to get the zinc.
as for the scam comment, its the way this drug is marketed.
Old 05-17-10, 09:37 AM

rsjkpoints is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I am about to start P90X and this will help me out.