ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-01-10, 09:52 PM

freizeit is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Feel spacey and blank after a week of Adderall XR. Anyone else?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was recently diagnosed with ADD and over the last few months have been prescribed a range of medications to help with attention and focus (Concerta 18mg, Adderall XR 10mg, and Vyvanse 20mg, in that order). Concerta didn't seem to help at all and only made me feel slightly spacey and out of it. Adderall and Vyvanse affect me in pretty much the same way. For the first week or so, they're great. The effect is subtle (probably due to the low dosage) but incredibly helpful. But then, after taking the medication for five or six days, the effect will suddenly change. One day the medication will make me feel sharp and focused, then the next it will make me feel spacey and blank. If I then continue to take it, the spacey/blank feeling will increase little by little each day until I can't tolerate it anymore. Taking a break for a few days doesn't help. I'll be just a foggy when I start up again. But if I take a break for a week or two, I get another week or so of effectiveness before the spaciness returns.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with stimulants?

I've considered a range of factors that might contribute to the bad reaction (e.g., hydration, sleep, food, vitamins, magnesium) and, as far as I can tell, none of them make a difference. But there could be things I haven't tried yet.

One possibility is that I just don't metabolize stimulants properly and overtime a metabolite builds up in my system and causes the brain fog. I discovered that drugs like Adderall and Vyvanse are metabolized by an enzyme, CYP2D6, that exhibits a lot of variability from person to person. Some people are 'extensive metabolizers' whereas others are 'poor metabolizers'. So it's possible that I'm just a poor metabolizer.

I've discussed all of this with my doctor, but she doesn't have any answers for me. From her perspective I just don't tolerate stimulants well. But for me, the short periods of time that the drugs do work are so helpful that I don't want to give up on them yet.

I'm hoping that someone here has had a similar experience and might have some advice for me. Even if there's no solution, it would be nice to know that I'm not the only one who has this kind of reaction.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Old 05-01-10, 10:04 PM

kokiriforest is on a distinguished road
Re: Feel spacey and blank after a week of Adderall XR. Anyone else?

Wow. I actually JUST posted my first thread because I am having the same reaction. For months, my medication worked wonderfuly. Then, out of no where, I had a terrible reaction to it--wooziness, "out of it", spacey, a little nauseous.

I have no idea what is causing it. I'm sorry I can't be of any help! But at least you're not alone.
Old 05-05-10, 12:39 AM

sauer_kraut is on a distinguished road

I have had this too and it usually is a few things. I can sometimes burn myself out mentally which makes the brain fog happen. Over the winter this was a huge issue. All I did all day was sit and work on the computer at this thing and that thing and then I would just kinda get to a point of not being able to do much of anything. I noticed that breaks are helpful, and I do take a few days off each month. However, I find that if you break up the routine or so, and do something else...usually something active if you have been inactive. Like if I go out and see a friend I can come home feeling great and not blah because I got away from my usual surroundings.

I have found that this is even better in the warmer months because there IS more opportunity to get out and about. Even just doing chores around the house can make me feel focused and good.

Food and sleep is probably the most important. If you eat a few times a day even if you do not want it and make sure to hydrate you will notice you feel better. When I was busy this week, I underate and my sleep was poor..I noticed having that blah feeling and when I got some food in me, I noticed a huge change.

The metabolising thing is something I have thought about as well. I do believe I have a bit of a slower metabolism due to some other meds I am on and maybe that is why when I am active, the medicine seems to do its job properly and not just fogging me out and overwhelmed at my task at hand..

btw.. nice nick, freizeit
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-10, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

are you using xr or ir ... usually get this more with xr meds, stress and feelings of discontent will create this feeling to become more pronounced. If you are sitting still at a computer for prolonged periods without breaks, if you go long periods without snacks, exercise or break in general routine, if you are disinterested generally on a day to day basis on your tasks in front of you, if you feel trapped or feel remorse towards those around you in a work setting this can add to the effect.. Do get the general trend of what I'm laying down. If you are in one of these situations you must break your routine whatever it is or may be. Then when you are set back from this you can or should be able to view things in clarity and understand more of what is causing or promoting this... Generally speaking it can me the release of the meds compounded by day to day negative self talk, monotony and boredom which will soon lead to malaise..... The exact symptom you describe is end result of one or the other usually speaking. Predicate a plan, execute the plan and remove yourself from the environment that is excacerbating it... Trust me long term it's not worth it. Sitting in front of a pc all day long will surely lead the adhd individual down this path.
Old 05-05-10, 03:22 PM
Contributor

really has a spectacular aura aboutreally has a spectacular aura about

Can be anything, but I suspect a good long drug vacation can help. What you might want to do is talk to your doctor about flipping to a methylphenidate med (perhaps dextromethylphenidate?) for a month and then flipping back to whatever you choose?

You can establish a regimen of this over several times a year.
Old 12-21-10, 02:08 AM

ADDcurious is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just started Adderall XR a couple weeks ago and had the same reaction you describe - some days a mild effect, other days fogginess. It seems when I eat with it, it doesn't work... and, when I did raise the dose to 10mg/2xday, I felt negative effects of fogginess and irritability even into the next day! My pdoc said I may be a "slow metabolizer" - which led me to this page. We're now talking about starting me on Strattera, but I was wondering where you landed with this. Thanks for any help!
Old 12-30-10, 07:19 PM

lgarmon11 is on a distinguished road

me too! this is the end of my first week on adderall ir 20mg/day. when it kicks in i feel much worse! for anyone thats experienced this: what med have you found works best??
Old 12-30-10, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

It might be that the dose is too high.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
nomannomad (01-04-11)
Old 12-31-10, 06:09 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

^ I suspect that too.

Maybe you depleted your dopamine as well, take some L-tryosine, or eat more protein+trytamine rich foods.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
lgarmon11 (12-31-10), nomannomad (01-04-11), timaier (02-03-11)
Old 12-31-10, 12:45 PM

lgarmon11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll try to find some tyrosine today.

I've done some research, and I think I'm onto something. I seem to respond better to meds that increase my nor epinephrine, not dopamine. I had somewhat good results with wellbutrin. I was motivated, just not happy.

i need to find out what add meds might also work primarily (or even only) on nor epinephrine.