ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-10-10, 11:17 PM

JAC1968 will become famous soon enough
Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices?

Anyone familiar with this assessment?

Curious what the difference in outcome might be all things considered equal except ADHD?

ADHD worse off... how much etc?
Old 05-11-10, 01:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

lomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nice
Re: Raven's Advanced Progressive Matrices?

I'm not familiar with this one in particular, but from a basic google search, I suspect that you wouldn't find significant differences between ADHD and normal/general populations. Probably the ADHD average will be somewhat lower (this is pretty much the case in most IQ and other indexes), but nothing significant - my speculation - and nothing that one should read too much into (for several methodological difficulties that I won't get into).

Usually in research that looks into ADHD/non-ADHD comparisons using similar indexes/tests, one of the IQ indexes is selected that has relatively weak correlation to working memory/ processing speed and all those indexes that are significantly worse in the ADHD population (ON AVERAGE). It seems to me that Raven's is likely to be like these - weak correlation to WMI.

That said, it is always worth repeating: results among ADHD people vary significantly. Even in tests/indexes that we perform on average significantly worse than the non-ADHD population.

This is why all these tests have little to zero utility in differentiating between +ADHD and -ADHD.
Old 07-16-12, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Raven's Progressive Matrices seems to be the gold standard in IQ tests and I often see it mentioned in the scientific studies of ADHD. I used the online version at iqtest.dk.

I got my DD to try the test to see if there will be any improvements after a couple of months of brain training. I left the room after I got her started, and while I couldn't even finish the 39 questions within the 40 minute limit, she said she was all done when I came back after only five minutes!

It seems she guessed as fast as she could with the questions. I had her review all her answers for the remaining 35 minutes. She ended up with a below average score of 93, but I may have inadvertenly helped her change a couple of answers during her review.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 10:56 PM

Thanked 8,748 Times in 2,713 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The gold standard IQ test(s) are the Wechsler Intelligence Scales.

They are THE most widely used IQ test(s); the world over.

As someone who's professionally given several thousand IQ tests since beginning

my internship in 1975, I can honestly say that I haven't given the Raven 's since

graduate school (I finished in 1977).

While it's an old and respected test, it's strictly Non - Verbal .

The most important thing for you to know, however, is that there are NO TESTS of ANY

kind, deemed appropriate or accepted for, the sole purpose of diagnosing ADHD.

There is NOTHING on an IQ or computerized (Continuous Preformance Test: CPT) test

that is remotely diagnostic in nature.

IQ tests ARE definately a part of a (non-diagnostic) Psychological Evaluation, but are not

intended to diagnose anything.

Hope that helps some.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-17-12), Drewbacca (07-17-12), LynneC (07-19-12), namazu (07-25-12), sarahsweets (07-17-12), TygerSan (07-17-12)
Old 07-17-12, 07:06 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,022 Times in 3,766 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

The Raven's big thing is that it is supposed to be a culture-blind estimate of general intelligence as it's non-verbal.

I *hate* it. Best I've scored on it was a 61. I am so much better at verbal reasoning than non-verbal reasoning, and so much slower processing the non-verbal information. That means that if you give me this test, it will show that I am not very bright, whereas the Wechsler does a much better job of highlighting my strengths as well as my weaknesses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-19-12), mctavish23 (07-17-12), namazu (07-25-12)
Old 07-22-12, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Does anybody know of any free online tests based on the Wechsler Intelligence Scales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
The gold standard IQ test(s) are the Wechsler Intelligence Scales.
Old 07-25-12, 10:06 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,022 Times in 3,766 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anybody know of any free online tests based on the Wechsler Intelligence Scales?
I don't know of any good ones, but most of the ones that split verbal/performance are probably based on the Wechsler.

The problem is that you kill the validity of the test if you take it more than once a year or so, as there are practice effects from becoming familiar with the testing material and format.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (07-26-12)
Old 07-26-12, 08:02 AM

Thanked 8,748 Times in 2,713 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I don't believe there are any, due to copyright restrictions by the Psychological

Corporation.

If there are some, I'm simply not aware of them.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 07-26-12, 08:54 AM

Thanked 4,199 Times in 1,970 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertaParent View Post
Raven's Progressive Matrices seems to be the gold standard in IQ tests and I often see it mentioned in the scientific studies of ADHD. I used the online version at iqtest.dk.

I got my DD to try the test to see if there will be any improvements after a couple of months of brain training. I left the room after I got her started, and while I couldn't even finish the 39 questions within the 40 minute limit, she said she was all done when I came back after only five minutes!

It seems she guessed as fast as she could with the questions. I had her review all her answers for the remaining 35 minutes. She ended up with a below average score of 93, but I may have inadvertenly helped her change a couple of answers during her review.
If she scored a 93 after 5 minutes with that test, she's either really bright or an amazingly good guesser. Those patterns are not intuitive (at least, not for me) and I found the test to be quite frustrating. If you reviewed the test and she changed some answers that would invalidate the test...
Old 06-03-14, 10:33 AM

Naharlipp is on a distinguished road

In my ADD diagnosis. I took this test. When I got the result, it was said that I was in the superior range even though my IQ is only average.

I thought of it as a lucky guess but looking back in my life, I tend to do good improvisations in times of challenge.
Old 06-05-14, 09:21 PM

Jenn1202 is on a distinguished road

I did better on this on this test than I did on most of the other tests, because it was the only test that wasn't timed so my excessive daydreaming/processing speed issues didn't lower my score.