ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-10, 08:33 PM

adhd_life will become famous soon enough
Tests for ADD?

http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm

Do tests like the above and alike really work?
I will answer this:

They work to the extent of the knowledge and experiences of those creating the questions.

Can one really quite simply ask questions about specific topics? Its almost as if there is a one test fits all..Wouldn't that be befitting.

Easily I see this is not the intention of the test, however I question at fact that the results "Yield a general Idea" of "you may or may not" have symptoms or the condition.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-15-10, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tests for ADD?

In most cases, these online ADHD tests are based on the criteria in DSM IV and ICD 10, so there should be a good correlation between your score in a test and the probability of you having ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby-lang For This Useful Post:
adhd_life (05-15-10)
Old 05-15-10, 11:05 PM

adhd_life will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
In most cases, these online ADHD tests are based on the criteria in DSM IV and ICD 10, so there should be a good correlation between your score in a test and the probability of you having ADHD.

I did not know that and it is nice to know.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-10, 01:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

lomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nice

I personally don't like that test - and I don't think I'll pass it.

The Wall Street Journal suggested this screening test in a big article recently on Adult ADHD. I thought it was a mistake.

From my limited research, I could not find academic references of Larry Jasper & Ivan Goldberg (who composed this test). To the best of my knowledge - and I also asked well-informed experts - these guys have no substantial ADHD credentials, if at all.

The test is particularly dangerous because it follows rather the concept of the hyperactive/combine ADHD, stressing the B group in the DSM-IV - the "on the go", "blurs out answers" questions/criteria.
Naturally, the subtype classification is in reality more nuanced, but when most undiagnosed adults are rather Inattentive or Combine, and when the "pure" Inattentive has very little PR, it's counterproductive to adopt a distorted DSM-IV interpretation.

This test - to the best of my knowledge - has no scientific backing whatsoever.

In fact, it is not compatible, to say the least, with what we know (I am referring to Barkley's ADHD in Adult, 2006, as a point of reference. I am a Barkley fan, although I am critical of his EF theory). The B group criteria (on the go) are generally less indicative of ADHD in adults of ALL SUBTYPES. I was amazed to find out that the best diagnostic criteria for ADHD, regardless of subtype, are actually in the A Group/Inattention group.

In particular, the DISTRACTIBILITY criterion (or as Barkley alters it: stimuli and thoughts) is the single most important diagnostic criteria for ADHD, in the sense that it positively classifies more than 90% of the ADHD population, and it (correctly) negatively classifies most of the non-ADHD population (either 'normal' or other clinically referred populations). Barkley states that the diagnostic success of this very simple question is significantly higher than any CPT or any neuropsychological test. Consequently he dismisses them as diagnostic tools.

So, one very simple question about attention can give you a pretty good idea whether you are ADHD or not. If you answer 7-8 other simple questions you know (almost) for sure.

ADHD requires a simple diagnosis. That it is so incredibly easy to know what has messed up our (at least mine) life so cruelly, is so hard to grasp, that we and doctors try to find fancy "objective" tests like CPTs that in reality have little utility.

Oh, but the thread was about a screening test. Sorry for getting distracted. I guess I do have ADHD, even if I don't meet the threshold of that screening test.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lomipo For This Useful Post:
adhd_life (05-16-10), Dizfriz (05-16-10), Imnapl (05-16-10)
Old 05-16-10, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I found these 2 PDF files that some Psychiatrists use to diagnose ADHD:

For kids/teens (SNAP-IV): http://vrosario.bol.ucla.edu/forms/snapIV.pdf

For adults (ASRS): http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/..._checklist.pdf

Parents of ADHD kids/teens could use the SNAP-IV to see if the prescribed medication is working, like a before and after test..it could even be used everyday if you'd like and given to the teacher at school to fill out daily or so.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 01-11-11, 05:27 AM
Contributor

Canuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to allCanuck223 is a name known to all

Our pediatrician used the revised SNAP-IV 26 question quiz to gauge his patients prior to follow up visits.

We're now starting to wonder about our other son. Like so many, including his father, he's been overlooked because he's not hyperactive. However, I asked his teacher to fill out the test, prior to our scheduling a consult with the doctor. In the 9 questions related most to Inattentive, he averaged 2.77.

Ya, I think it's worth the wait to get an appointment.
Old 01-11-11, 08:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

bree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
I found these 2 PDF files that some Psychiatrists use to diagnose ADHD:

For kids/teens (SNAP-IV): http://vrosario.bol.ucla.edu/forms/snapIV.pdf

For adults (ASRS): http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/..._checklist.pdf

Parents of ADHD kids/teens could use the SNAP-IV to see if the prescribed medication is working, like a before and after test..it could even be used everyday if you'd like and given to the teacher at school to fill out daily or so.
Oh yes because teachers have nothing else to do daily weekly maybe.