ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-10, 06:15 PM

brintiff will become famous soon enough
Is there an anti anxiety med that doesn't make you tired

Doc prescribed me Clonazepam for use as needed when I get extreme anxiety, I hate it. It made me feel like crap and all I wanted to do was sleep and it was not a restful sleep. Is there an anxiety drug that mellows you out but that doesn't make you feel comatose? I have never taken any other anti anxiety meds besides Temazepam for sleep. I take Aderall for ADHD. I realize people act differently to meds, just trying to get some ideas. I can't see my doc until three weeks so I have time to do some research. He knows I research my meds online and I also have somewhat of a medical background so I think he'll be cool if I ask to try a certain med. What does xanex "feel" like?

I'd love to feel like when I was first prescribed opiates for my back issues but I realize that's not going to happen, well at least not legally and I won't do anything illegal or go to a "pill mill".

If only they allowed opiates to be prescribed for depression and anxiety
Relax, I'm joking, well at least partially, the whole tolerance thing would quickly negate there advantage.
Old 05-17-10, 06:36 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is there an anti anxiety med that doesn't make you tired

I don't get that effect from clonazepam, and have been taking it for a long time, but know someone else who does, and also found it impaired his memory. He switched to diazepam (valium) and found it didn't have these side effects.

There are also a number of antidepressants that help with anxiety. I take mirtazapine for depression and anxiety, and it does help with both, but if you're looking for quick acting medications, I'm not familiar with any other than the benzodiazapenes that are prescribed these days.
Old 05-17-10, 11:07 PM

brintiff will become famous soon enough

APSJ, thank you for the reply.

A friend of mine who has the same meds and condition (ADHD) who's been on the meds for a few months may have solved my problem. He told me to combine the adderall and clonazepam so I tried it. I thought that one would cancel out the other, sounds logical but I guess when it comes to the brains chemical reactions nothing is logical. I took 10mg adderall and 1mg of clonazepam and I feel outstanding. Not high but just in a good mood, with energy and no anxiety. I'm only posting this in case someone else has the same issue as I did. OBVIOUSLY we are all different and I would not recommend doing anything without your doctors advice. My doc is a real cool guy and gives me some leeway with mt meds within reason of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to brintiff For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-18-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 11:54 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I take a 0.25mg clonazepam orally disintegrating tablet if I am stressed. Happens really rarely since being on Strattera.

It never made me sleepy.

I take 0.5mg at bedtime which helps me sleep.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 05-19-10, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

The other antianxiety agents that I know of that you could look up are:
Xanax
Xanax XR
Ativan
and Valium

Good Luck.
Andy...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 05-21-10, 11:22 PM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice

I think klonopin is awesome. This is my experience with it:

It lasts forever. I can get away with taking it once a day. There are even times I haven't taken it for a few days. When I do want to take it, there isn't usually a pressing need to take it. Meaning, I don't feel the best, but if i did not take it, it would be ok. I just know that it works, and it would be good for me.

It's very subtle. I get no "high" feeling or sedation from it. I have experimented with the doses. The most I took in a night was 2mg, and noticed no difference from when I took a low dose.

My memory and everything else is pretty much normal while on it. Basically, when taking klonopin, I am me, just without the anxiety.

It has a real slow and subtle effect. I don't even feel it working, but it is working.

For instance, I took klonopin one time recently before a very stressful and confrontational meeting, and I was so calm, cool, and collected that I was indestructible under the pressure. I was so good, the other person was getting messed up because I wasn't responding to their rapid energy. When you're the calm one, you're in control. In situations like these, you realize how well klonopin works. If I wasn't in a stressful situation like that, I wouldn't even notice it working, but if you somehow find yourself in a stressful situation, it steps up for you.

I find that low doses work quite well. I usually take a .5mg, and that dose the trick. Sometimes I take .25, more as a maintenance dose. I sometimes take 1mg, but I think this is only good for when you need some really solid coverage. Generally, for most of the time, I think .5mg is the perfect dose. At doses more than 1mg, I have not noticed any difference.

I have had a beer or two on klonopin, and I found that the effects of alcohol are greatly increased. Before one beer would not even give me a buzz, but with klonopin, I got a heavy buzz. Not drunk or anything, but there was a strong effect. One time, I drank like 4-5 beers quickly, and had a low dose of klonopin in my system, and I ended up feeling pretty spaced out, and got a pretty bad headache, and I did not feel so great. I wouldn't recommend drinking on klonopin, beyond one or two drinks.

I also find it does nothing for me as a sleep aid. I have taken it before bed, and it does nothing. A lot of people take it for sleep, but it doesn't work that way for me.

The key to this medication, is that you don't feel it working, but it works. It's subtle, yet very powerful.

People make the mistake with this medication thinking they're supposed to feel something, like an instant relief or a buzz, and some people feel that. When they don't get that, or that feeling goes away, they assume it is not working anymore, then either raise the dose, or claim the medication sucks, and switch to something else.

I think this is actually a very potent medication, and that it is best taken in small doses. The reason why I say that is because it is so subtle, you don't even realize it is working, and people can casually take more without realizing how effective the small dose actually is for them.

To the original poster, it was probably making you tired if you were taking 1mg at a time. It all really depends on your schedule and the dose. This thing has a long half life, and builds up in your system to high doses, even if you take a small dose every day. So if you are taking 1mg pills every day or even a few times a week, it might build up to a heavy level, which kind of sinks you down.

I would try a low dose, but consistently every day, and then you'll have your anxiety coverage without getting side effects.

Now there's also a lot of stuff on the internet about klonopin being hard to get off, and it having a terrible withdrawal etc. I've done a lot of research and I don't really know what to think.

I have read a lot of people say it was a nightmare and their life is destroyed etc, and then I read a lot of people have no withdrawal at all, or they come off it pretty easily. I think there are a lot of hypochondriacs on the internet, but I do believe that people can have problems from coming off klonopin. However, I think it's best not to read about other people's stories because it usually poisons your mind. Ignorance can be bliss in these sorts of situations.

I think the people who abuse klonopin, or take it in really large doses are the ones who have problems coming off. But I think people who take lower, steady doses off it, who taper off it when they come off, are probably fine.

I have not suffered any withdrawal symptoms, except for one time, and I am not even sure it was the klonopin that was responsible. I felt completely like out of my head, like my brain was empty, all day. And I went into a store, and they had big bright lights in the ceiling, and I looked up, and the bright light was so powerful, that it totally messed up my vision, and when I looked away, I could still see the light in my vision. And then I walked up to the register and was paying, and the vision in my left eye was blurry, and it was like I had no peripheral vision on that side, and I started to have anxiety over it, and I thought something bad was happening. Like I might have a seizure or pass out or something. It was really weird.

I think this happened after I didn't take klonopin for a few days, but I was also adjusting my Lexapro dosage, and it could have also been aggravated by my naturally high anxiety state. But, that's one weird story, but luckily it's all I have.

Generally, I think klonopin is a fantastic medication. I have only been taking it for a few months, but I love it, and I wish I had this medication many years ago. It would have done me a lot of good. I have no issues with tolerance either. But I think it's very good to mess around with the doses if possible. Try to raise it and then lower it for a few days or a week.

I have tried Ativan: horrible for me. Doesn't work with my chemistry at all. Made me have weird visual hallucination type things the very first time I took it. Then when I took it a few years later, it made me feel like crap, and I couldn't think on it. And I got all sorts of weird withdrawal symptoms, even after taking a random dose of it. It was as if it was really suppressing something inside my brain so well, that when it wore off, my brain went into crazy mode. So, I hate Ativan, and won't ever take it again.

I have tried Xanax: Xanax is great. The first time I took it, it worked quickly and packed a punch, and I felt good taking it. However, it appeared like tolerance rose rapidly. The second time I got a prescription for it, I got Mylan generic, and I never even noticed it working. Took .5, then 1mg, then 2mg, and got pretty much nothing off of it.

But generally, the first time I took Xanax, although it was a brief time (120, .25mg pills over the course of probably 2 months), it worked fantastically.

However, looking back on it, I don't think that is the best medication for anxiety. Why? Because you get a great feeling off it, and you want to take more and more of it. And it is too strong. You feel like you're on a drug, and that's not what you want to be on if you have anxiety and need a medication that helps make you function.

So I love klonopin, and in my experience, it's the best benzo around. I love it and would recommend it to anyone with a true anxiety issue. Hopefully it continues to work the same way in the future, and I will still be happy with it.

Remember, small doses are still effective, even if you don't "feel" them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:
Naussicaa (05-26-10), nevermessymind (02-15-12)
Old 05-21-10, 11:36 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on Klonopin (generic clonazepam) for 2 years now. 0.5 mg an hour before bed. No adverse effects that I am aware of.

Has it aggravated the memory issues I was already having from AD/HD or simply pushing 60? I can't know that.

I was also prescribed 0.25 mg as needed but I've taken maybe one every other month on unusual days. And it helps.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 05-22-10, 08:52 AM

Thanked 17,444 Times in 7,286 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

It's different for everyone. I take xanax specifically for sleep issues. Once my ADD medications wear off, my brain is too busy to fall asleep. I have a big problem if I wake up too late to take another one but too early to have gotten a good night's sleep, because it does make me pretty darn drowsy, even .25mg.

I tried withdrawing from it slowly, .25mg at a time for a week, and by the time I hit .25mg/day, I was miserable. Why? Not because the medication is awful, but because the anxiety it was treating was still there. Now that I've been on Aplenzin and Focalin for a couple of months, I'm generally taking .5mg before bed, and occasionally .25mg if I wake up before 4AM.

However. . .yeah, it makes me drowsy. I know some people who take it, both regularly and occasionally, and it doesn't do that to them. So, as always, YMMV. Just because an antianxiety med makes some people drowsy doesn't mean it'll make everyone drowsy. That's why it's good that there are different ones to choose from, right?
Old 05-24-10, 07:21 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

seroquel is a great medication for anxiety, and depression, and insomnia
i took klonopin. withdrawal and social anxiety was terrible (0.5 mg for one month)
seroquel does exactly the opposite to stimulants. shuts down dopamine, histamine, and NE
i only take it 2 hours before bed (its very sedating)
its not antidepressant so no need to titrated
and my doc told me that its not habit forming. when i dont take it takes me 3-4 hours more hours to sleep
its not in the xanax/klonopin category
but its great for me. mellows me down. sleep good.
and because of restful sleep, i dont need to increase my stim dose. when i sleep less i am more tired (obviously) and need more of the stim to control my adhd.
helps with appetite too. negates the appetite suppression of stims during the day.
klonopin has an advantage that you can take it in the day with stims. its causes little tiredness but its tolerable
seroquel is sedating. tranquilizer potency. i take 25 mg tab
people with bipolar take it at 200mg+
when i combined stims with klonopin. it was like a dream.
two weeks later nummm dull, and lazy with bad coordination
stopped it was hell. anxiety tripled, social anxiety when i had no social anxiety before
but after a week. i felt alive again.
individual results may vary see your doc for details
Old 05-24-10, 08:46 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I have social anxiety with ADHD and I am so sick of it. It's debilitating. Ssri s make it worse. I have no idea how to eliminate this. I am at my wits end with this. Wellbutrin helps my mixed depression alot, and stims help, but this is just part of the solution
Old 05-24-10, 09:34 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Effexor XR did not make me tired at all.
75 mg is an anti anxiety dosage, 150 mg and on also works as an anti depressant.
Old 05-24-10, 10:17 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I think effexor or pristiq may be the answer , isn't cymbalta equally as stimulating? I get startup
anxiety, duh because I get so worried. Going to fix that
Old 05-24-10, 10:32 PM

InfantryWifWhit will become famous soon enough

Wellbutrin! Be prepared it compliments adderall well so it may makes your adderall a tad stronger.

if you have these side effects under your current medication, I wouldn't not recommend trying anything like alaprozam (xanax) bc this med tends to have drowsiness as one of the main side effects

hope this helped )
I'm a very sarcastic, non thinking before speaking, calling out people's daily acts of stupidity,hard to make me actually "like" you, kinda girl ;p I hate hipocrites and will be the first to call one out!Proud wife to a Ssg and I"m proud to be a Soldier! My world is Adiana Mae & Daelyn Skyy! They are 11 months apart in age so they are considered "irish twins"
Old 05-29-10, 09:50 PM

I take wellbutrin in combo with my stims its very helpful. I have tried adding cymbalta for worry and some physical anxiety and feelings of doubt it makes me feel like trash. I know only one week but I feel very demotivated. Not sure what to do.
Old 05-31-10, 02:51 AM

tom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nicetom2228 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
I have social anxiety with ADHD and I am so sick of it. It's debilitating. Ssri s make it worse. I have no idea how to eliminate this. I am at my wits end with this. Wellbutrin helps my mixed depression alot, and stims help, but this is just part of the solution
You could try Buspar