ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-22-10, 11:38 PM

brintiff will become famous soon enough
How long did adderall take to work for you?

I don't mean the energy you get after taking it, I'm wanting to know how long you took it until you noticed an improvement in your ADHD. I guess I'm just paranoid it's not going to work. I get the energy boost and a feeling of well being but it hasn't seemed to help my concentration yet. I've been taking it about a week, was prescribed 20mg a day and have tried 30mg, 40mg and 60mg once.

Before it's mentioned, I know I shouldn't be adjusting the dosages on my own , I have kept a log which my psychiatrist will see at my next appointment which is 5/28.

Does using large amounts of caffeine lower adderalls effectiveness?
Old 05-23-10, 02:00 AM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road
Re: How long did adderall take to work for you?

For me, the improvement with my IR 10mg took effect between 30 minutes to an hour. And wow, you're brave to go up so high. But I guess if you arn't feeling it then it doesn't seem scary. But for me, I actually had to experiment down because mine was waaaaaay to strong.

My doc gave me 20mg pills in the beginning and wanted me to try 10 mg, then 20, but I went straight for the 20 because I had tried concerta the year before at 18mg and it didnt do a thing, so I was was bold.

Knowing now that Im sensitive to adderall and that 10mg does me just fine and perfect, as you can imagine the 20mg, especially for taking it for the first time was verrrrrrrry strong. Very odd feeling. I was like on shut-down. For while I felt like I HAD to feel it strong for it to be working so I stuck to 20 for a bit but have since moved down to 10 which is lot more subtle and works just a well. But anyway, tangents.

If you're getting the energy and the well-being then its odd to hear that its not helping with concentration, because if you're getting those two things its usually your fit. I don't think Iv heard of anyone having those 2 but not the concentration. But I could be wrong. Im not gonna try to act like a know-it-all, so many others on here are much more wiser than I. Im still a newbie to meds but I like to share and try to help when I can if no one more experienced has answered.

But do keep this in mind: I had a similar problem as you in the beginning. It probably is helping wit your concentration, but you have to learn to direct it. There was an older post where someone had trouble getting focused on what they needed to get done, but instead they were focusing on other things. The meds can't change your will. You have to help it along and get yourself started on what you need to do, and then the meds will help you STAY where you need to be. Sometimes for me the hardest part is getting started so I can latch onto what Im doing and not get distracted. After I started, usually its smooth sailing and defiantly an improvement from before.

You should read this thread, I think what we talked about here is exactly what you're experiencing: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81295

But in the other thread I mention, the person was having trouble directing her focus. it was there but she kept latching onto the wrong things. She let herself get wrapped up in TV and she ended up hyper focusing on it. Same thing happened to me a few days after reading her post. I got hooked on this website and stayed here all night. But I know its working because when I didnt let myself get on the computer before I did what I needed to do, I got stuff done. Meds arnt a fix-all. They're a wonderful helper but its team effort.

But with that said if you truly feel its not working after you consider and apply what I said, then simply experiment around with other meds with your doc. Hope I helped even though I talked your ear off!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishstix For This Useful Post:
MRS_Update (06-02-10)
Old 05-23-10, 09:55 AM

brintiff will become famous soon enough

You are probably right on, my doc didn't give me too much information so I wasn't sure if the meds built up, the improvements with concentration and other symptoms gradually improved or improved as soon as the adderall was taken in the right dosage.

I haven't been sitting around waiting for the meds to work, I've been doing things that require concentration and comprehension. I'm also doing what you did, I've been on here probably 30 hours in the last few days reading everything I can about adderall .

When I listed the dosages I have tried that was the daily dose not at once

Thank you very much for your reply and the link
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-10, 01:17 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, have been wondering how long it took for adderall to start working for you guys. I have been experimenting with dosages on my own because I cannot get in to see anybody, ask questions for another six weeks.

The first few times I took adderall, I got a real buzz and seemed to have many positive benefits. Then the buzz stopped which I know is normal, but the positive benefits seemed to stop also.

I am now taking a 60 mg dose divided between two doses of 30 mg each in the morning and another around 2:00 in the afternoon. This is probably too much and tomorrow I am going to try 40mg, two doses each of 20mg.

But even though I am taking too much, shouldn't the positive benefit still be there? Right now all I do is mess around on my computer, especially this site, for hours. I am getting nothing else done.

Years ago when my doc put me on pemoline (since withdrawn from the market), I got a positive benefit right away. I took pemoline for several years and it worked for me the entire time.

Am I expecting too much to want adderall to work the same way?
Old 05-31-10, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

No. It works instantly.
Look up what breaks down efficiency, could be another drug you're taking, acidic foods, or maybe (very rarely) it doesn't work for you. Caffeine doesn't do anything to it, it just keeps me awake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
Possum (05-31-10)
Old 06-02-10, 06:36 PM
Jr Member

MRS_Update is on a distinguished road

I am glad to read this! The first 3 days I took the 10 mg IR, it was like a serenity and focus almost from another world, and I was able to control what I focused on and organize my thoughts almost effortlessly. Now I know that was the "euphoria" effect that many feel when beginning this particular medication. After reading this post things make sense: I still have the same focus and organization, it just needs to be called upon and prodded in the most productive direction, otherwise I hyperfocus on whatever entertainment/distraction is in front of me and think that "it's not working". Genius! Thanks guys for the insightful info!

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught" ~Winston Churchill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRS_Update For This Useful Post:
Fishstix (06-03-10), jmcrookski (06-02-10)
Old 06-03-10, 12:04 AM
Jr Member

jmcrookski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS_Update View Post
I am glad to read this! The first 3 days I took the 10 mg IR, it was like a serenity and focus almost from another world, and I was able to control what I focused on and organize my thoughts almost effortlessly. Now I know that was the "euphoria" effect that many feel when beginning this particular medication. After reading this post things make sense: I still have the same focus and organization, it just needs to be called upon and prodded in the most productive direction, otherwise I hyperfocus on whatever entertainment/distraction is in front of me and think that "it's not working". Genius! Thanks guys for the insightful info!

My first 3 days on generic IR were exactly the same. I was sure that it was because I still had some lingering Strattera in my system when I started Adderall and attributed the awesome focus/organization to Strattera and the energy to Adderall.

For the first 3 days I was like a whirlwind in getting things done. I really did get a ton accomplished. Unfortunately now I'm back to the old me, spending way to much time distracted on the net and my thoughts are always in lala land and on top of that I always have some stupid radio song stuck in my head - non stop. Adderall has given me energy, but I'm really having a hard time focusing that energy toward what I know I should do and what would be productive rather than getting distracted with every little thing.
Old 06-03-10, 02:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

johnnyx will become famous soon enough

I take about 80 mg a day 40 in morning and 40 in afternoon a little more than usual since I am a big guy (310 lbs) so it takes more to get a good effect and I am in grad school so studying in 3-5 hour stretches.

This was a great thread because highlights what many people go through when first taking any ADHD medication. I thought it would give me instant focus (tunnel vision) to focus on whatever task I had. It did like people said for 3 days. But after a while it just seemed to give me a bunch of energy that I could choose to focus in either a productive manner or unproductive manner. I guess I am trully ADD since I chose to focus in an unproductive manner, unlike people who abuse ADHD medication and study all night with it.

It is difficult to find that right feeling since everyone is different my doctor like many was not helpful he just dispenses the medication and tells me to test it out to find a level I like. For someone who hasn't taken the medication before it is a tough to know what "focus" feels like.

The feeling of euphoria, I will describe more as confidence, when I take the medication I feel I can do anything while when I'm not on it I am just lounging around the house not doing much but playing videogames and watching movies. While on it I might clean my room.

I think the key is to look for behavioral changes also to supplement the medication like tips on organization (calenders, daily planners)

The medication is the fuel but you still need something to be able to focus that energy and focus. I should take my own advice, but usually I start reading a self-help book or organization book and stop after the first chapter when I switch to doing something else
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnnyx For This Useful Post:
Fishstix (06-03-10), jmcrookski (06-03-10), nickel76 (06-03-10)
Old 06-03-10, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Derven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the rough

For me the changes were subtle. At first you might see this huge leap in function and focus, but when that initial wave washes away, I do not think that the medication no longer helps, but rather I think it is just a matter of adjusting to the new medication and finding a stable level.

I guess what I mean is, I think its like being in the dark and turning on the light. At first, its really bright and you can't really see because your eyes have yet to adjust. I think you just get used to that initial intensity of Adderall and then you can function with it working in the background.

~Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Derven For This Useful Post:
nickel76 (06-03-10)