ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-24-10, 06:07 AM

Obfuscated is on a distinguished road
Question My Experience with Adderall, Do I need to increase dosage?

Long time reader of the forums, first time poster. I feel I have to ask a question before I go into my doctor and ask to have my dosage increased.

If you do not wanna read a long post and just want to get to my question. Please scroll down to the bottom where I say: "Anyway so heres my Question. "

I typed to much here. I am sorry If you want to read the background then go ahead.

Please bear with me, a little background.
I was prescribed Adderall IR 10mg a few months ago, its funny because I think it was 4 or 5 months ago but I forget exactly when...

When I first started to take this drug, I looked up everything I could about it. I have been to these forums many times browsing information about it and all. They have been really helpful finding out things about it.

I understand that once you start taking this drug, there is a short honeymoon of euphoria. I could careless about the euphoria because I only experienced it for maybe 30 minutes after taking it. What I felt though after taking my dose for the first month was relaxed. There was a feeling of relaxation in my mind, calmness. I actually started to notice how bad my ADHD was and how it effected my daily routine, I had no idea.

I was diagnosed years ago but refused to take any kind of medication. I had been against being dependent on any kind of drug. I knew there was something wrong, I just refused to admit it. I knew that hiding from my problems could never work. I was doing damage to myself, I could never be happy.

After a month of adderall, my life changed. Adderall literally changed my life, and how I looked at it. How I interacted with people, everything. Its as if all this time I was carrying around 100 pounds on my back and now I've finally free from it. I was tired all the time, or in other words... My body was tired but my mind wasn't... The hardest thing to explain to people is my state of mind. Some people can not understand what its like to have a problem unless they live it. Its hard to explain to someone else what I am going through, when they haven't experienced it.

The best way I can describe my disease is like; Being out in the sun on a very bright day without sunglasses. It being so hot outside and you are wearing heavy winter clothes. Your mind is focused on everything being so washed out in the light that its hard to see, and your mind is focused on the fact that you are so hot and uncomfortable. I can't focus, I feel so tired because I can't focus. I am wore out at the end of the day but then I can't really sleep because my mind is still wide awake. My mind is always doing something and my body would want nothing more than it to shut up. When I talk, my mouth attempts to formulate the words to translate what my mind wants but because my mind is working at 500 miles per hour and my mouth can only go 50 miles per hour, it can't keep up.

Its funny because as I describe my problem, I wonder if I really have ADHD. I mean it sounds like I do, but thats the disease for me. Always thinking, its so annoying. Its like a cut that never heals, you can always feel the twinge of pain, it never ends... Until I take Adderall.

I have to say again that its strange that I don't feel stimulated while on adderall, I don't feel sped up. The effects were simply being able to think clearly, focus. Ironically, the symptoms of not being on the medication was is the effects of being overly stimulated. As if drank to much caffeine.

I know that my medication is wearing off when I start speaking fast, being anxious, and not being able to talk clearly because my mouth can't match my mind. The medication slows my mind down... Again strange for a stimulant.

So...

I am on month 5 now I think or is it month 4? I am noticing that its simply not working as much as it was before. I would get the feeling of relaxation, presence of mind, and being able to focus but it will only last maybe an hour or 2. As I am typing this, my medication has worn off(and by the length of this post, some may have noticed that).

I am worried because my medication is not performing like it was before, that to keep my mind from going into overdrive like it does off adderall, that I need to pop another pill. That scares me because this is an addictive substance and I don't want to have to pop a pill just to feel normal. That sounds strange typing that because thats what this was prescribed for... ugh.

I am prescribe 2 a day, 10mg adderall IR. Where as originally 1 10mg adderall IR lasted about 4 to 5 hours. Now it stops working after 2 to 3 hours and not only that, but its not as effective as the first 60 to 90 days while on it.

I used a journal a few days ago to record the effects of adderall throughout the day. This is after approximately 4 months on it.

...8:00am Wake up, take adderall tab.
...8:45am Adderall starts to kick in
...9:00am At work
...10:45-11:15 In this 30 minute window adderall starts to wear off.
... 11:30am, adderall is completely gone and my mind has returned to its overstimulated self.
... 11:30am I will take an adderall tab.
... 12:30pm kicks in(the second time I take it, it doesn't work as fast as the morning time for some reason, it takes an hour longer or more to start to clear my mind)
.. 2:45pm wears off slowly.
.. 3:30pm gone completely. Am a bit tired because of it wearing off. After second dose of the day, I start to get tired.
.. 4:00pm for some reason I can't focus at all, like my mind has come back with a vengeance and my ADHD is a bit worse than usual. This tends to happen after a second dose wears off for the day. Now I am both tired and my mind won't shut up.

... 5pm off work and thats it, tired and go to bed few hours after.

I feel stupid for typing all this stuff. I should just go back and delete it all and write a simple question. Ugh.

Anyway so heres my Question.
Is a good idea to ask for a increase in dosage. I am on 10mg Adderall IR. It no longer provides the same benefit of relaxing my mind, ability to focus... To function problem... Like it did within the first 60 to 90 days of taking it.

Or is it better to try tricks like taking drug holidays or taking supplements(I read magnesium helps).

The problem with me is that this drug helps me function normally, which is detailed above. I can't take a drug holiday without being seriously messed up and being unable to function(I've typed function a lot). There is a clear difference between me on adderall and me not on adderall. Its hard for me to work on anything and I get so worn out. Taking a drug holiday would be very hard.

I actually take magnesium supplements already so I am already doing that.

The only thing I can think is to have my dosage increased but I am deathly afraid that I am showing signs of addiction and increasing my dosage is like increasing the ability for an addict to get high. What if the newer dosage stops working like this dosage did? What if this dosage grows to only work for 1 hour and then 30 minutes and then not at all. Am I going to continuously have to get increases to my dosage each time it stops working? Or do I simply need to find a proper dosage and I will be fine... I would hate to have to continuously increase my dosage every few months... It could get really out of hand.

I don't wanna get high, I just wanna feel normal. But then again, thats what addicts say don't they. Now that I have seen what its like to be able to concentrate and not feel so worn out from over stimulation, its hard to let that go.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it. Sorry for making you read all that.
By the way this post took me forever to write because Firefox thinks that Adderall is spelled incorrectly and I can't stop thinking that its spelled wrong every time I see it underlined red, really breaks my concentration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Obfuscated For This Useful Post:
Nyarlathotep (05-25-10)
Old 05-24-10, 07:39 AM

Re: My Experience with Adderall, Do I need to increase dosage?

Just for clarification purposes: My medication shows

Mfg: SANDO

After reading through some more threads I see people complaining about the brand. I am not sure what Sando means, good or bad. If anyone could let me know if I need to switch because Sando is bad.... please let me know. I have no idea. It seems to be working but Sando is the only brand I have been taking since the start so I wouldn't know if there is a difference.

I know MFG is manufacturer and thats the "brand". But I don't know if Sando manufacturer's crap like apparently shire does from reading people's posts.

Also. I just noticed that a lot of people seem to face the same problem I am asking about. So I apologize if I am filling up the board with another repost of something may have asked already.

Old 05-24-10, 03:25 PM

JonADD is on a distinguished road

"Its funny because as I describe my problem, I wonder if I really have ADHD. I mean it sounds like I do, but thats the disease for me. Always thinking, its so annoying. Its like a cut that never heals, you can always feel the twinge of pain, it never ends... Until I take Adderall."

I can relate to that, and much more. I sometimes wonder if I really have ADHD also despite the fact that I made the discovery on my own and sought help for it of my own accord. It's quite plain when I actually read up on ADD, it's symptoms, how it affects people's lives and how it perfectly describes many of my impairments over the years. I've now even been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist with extensive experience with adult ADHD. I guess it's natural to be skeptical sometimes even when there is little or no reason to be. I'm still new to my med trial (adderall IR) and trying to find the right dosage. You're probably right, you should ask for an increase in your dosage. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonADD For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 04:49 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,143 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

1. No one would consider increasing your dosage from 10 mg. to be a symptom of addiction -- least of all your doctor. You may want to look at the sustained release version -- 'XR' -- while your at it.
  2. 'SANDO' = Sandoz, a major European drug manufacturer.
  3. When you see the red line under 'Adderall' right click then click 'Add to dictionary'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obfuscated View Post
Long time reader of the forums, first time poster. I feel I have to ask a question before I go into my doctor and ask to have my dosage increased.
If you do not wanna read a long post and just want to get to my question. Please scroll down to the bottom where I say: "Anyway so heres my Question. "

I typed to much here. I am sorry If you want to read the background then go ahead.

Please bear with me, a little background.
I was prescribed Adderall IR 10mg a few months ago, its funny because I think it was 4 or 5 months ago but I forget exactly when...

When I first started to take this drug, I looked up everything I could about it. I have been to these forums many times browsing information about it and all. They have been really helpful finding out things about it.

I understand that once you start taking this drug, there is a short honeymoon of euphoria. I could careless about the euphoria because I only experienced it for maybe 30 minutes after taking it. What I felt though after taking my dose for the first month was relaxed. There was a feeling of relaxation in my mind, calmness. I actually started to notice how bad my ADHD was and how it effected my daily routine, I had no idea.

I was diagnosed years ago but refused to take any kind of medication. I had been against being dependent on any kind of drug. I knew there was something wrong, I just refused to admit it. I knew that hiding from my problems could never work. I was doing damage to myself, I could never be happy.

After a month of adderall, my life changed. Adderall literally changed my life, and how I looked at it. How I interacted with people, everything. Its as if all this time I was carrying around 100 pounds on my back and now I've finally free from it. I was tired all the time, or in other words... My body was tired but my mind wasn't... The hardest thing to explain to people is my state of mind. Some people can not understand what its like to have a problem unless they live it. Its hard to explain to someone else what I am going through, when they haven't experienced it.

The best way I can describe my disease is like; Being out in the sun on a very bright day without sunglasses. It being so hot outside and you are wearing heavy winter clothes. Your mind is focused on everything being so washed out in the light that its hard to see, and your mind is focused on the fact that you are so hot and uncomfortable. I can't focus, I feel so tired because I can't focus. I am wore out at the end of the day but then I can't really sleep because my mind is still wide awake. My mind is always doing something and my body would want nothing more than it to shut up. When I talk, my mouth attempts to formulate the words to translate what my mind wants but because my mind is working at 500 miles per hour and my mouth can only go 50 miles per hour, it can't keep up.

Its funny because as I describe my problem, I wonder if I really have ADHD. I mean it sounds like I do, but thats the disease for me. Always thinking, its so annoying. Its like a cut that never heals, you can always feel the twinge of pain, it never ends... Until I take Adderall.

I have to say again that its strange that I don't feel stimulated while on adderall, I don't feel sped up. The effects were simply being able to think clearly, focus. Ironically, the symptoms of not being on the medication was is the effects of being overly stimulated. As if drank to much caffeine.

I know that my medication is wearing off when I start speaking fast, being anxious, and not being able to talk clearly because my mouth can't match my mind. The medication slows my mind down... Again strange for a stimulant.

So...

I am on month 5 now I think or is it month 4? I am noticing that its simply not working as much as it was before. I would get the feeling of relaxation, presence of mind, and being able to focus but it will only last maybe an hour or 2. As I am typing this, my medication has worn off(and by the length of this post, some may have noticed that).

I am worried because my medication is not performing like it was before, that to keep my mind from going into overdrive like it does off adderall, that I need to pop another pill. That scares me because this is an addictive substance and I don't want to have to pop a pill just to feel normal. That sounds strange typing that because thats what this was prescribed for... ugh.

I am prescribe 2 a day, 10mg adderall IR. Where as originally 1 10mg adderall IR lasted about 4 to 5 hours. Now it stops working after 2 to 3 hours and not only that, but its not as effective as the first 60 to 90 days while on it.

I used a journal a few days ago to record the effects of adderall throughout the day. This is after approximately 4 months on it.

...8:00am Wake up, take adderall tab.
...8:45am Adderall starts to kick in
...9:00am At work
...10:45-11:15 In this 30 minute window adderall starts to wear off.
... 11:30am, adderall is completely gone and my mind has returned to its overstimulated self.
... 11:30am I will take an adderall tab.
... 12:30pm kicks in(the second time I take it, it doesn't work as fast as the morning time for some reason, it takes an hour longer or more to start to clear my mind)
.. 2:45pm wears off slowly.
.. 3:30pm gone completely. Am a bit tired because of it wearing off. After second dose of the day, I start to get tired.
.. 4:00pm for some reason I can't focus at all, like my mind has come back with a vengeance and my ADHD is a bit worse than usual. This tends to happen after a second dose wears off for the day. Now I am both tired and my mind won't shut up.

... 5pm off work and thats it, tired and go to bed few hours after.

I feel stupid for typing all this stuff. I should just go back and delete it all and write a simple question. Ugh.

Anyway so heres my Question.
Is a good idea to ask for a increase in dosage. I am on 10mg Adderall IR. It no longer provides the same benefit of relaxing my mind, ability to focus... To function problem... Like it did within the first 60 to 90 days of taking it.

Or is it better to try tricks like taking drug holidays or taking supplements(I read magnesium helps).

The problem with me is that this drug helps me function normally, which is detailed above. I can't take a drug holiday without being seriously messed up and being unable to function(I've typed function a lot). There is a clear difference between me on adderall and me not on adderall. Its hard for me to work on anything and I get so worn out. Taking a drug holiday would be very hard.

I actually take magnesium supplements already so I am already doing that.

The only thing I can think is to have my dosage increased but I am deathly afraid that I am showing signs of addiction and increasing my dosage is like increasing the ability for an addict to get high. What if the newer dosage stops working like this dosage did? What if this dosage grows to only work for 1 hour and then 30 minutes and then not at all. Am I going to continuously have to get increases to my dosage each time it stops working? Or do I simply need to find a proper dosage and I will be fine... I would hate to have to continuously increase my dosage every few months... It could get really out of hand.

I don't wanna get high, I just wanna feel normal. But then again, thats what addicts say don't they. Now that I have seen what its like to be able to concentrate and not feel so worn out from over stimulation, its hard to let that go.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it. Sorry for making you read all that.
By the way this post took me forever to write because Firefox thinks that Adderall is spelled incorrectly and I can't stop thinking that its spelled wrong every time I see it underlined red, really breaks my concentration.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Old 05-24-10, 07:42 PM

Calm & focused has a spectacular aura aboutCalm & focused has a spectacular aura about

10mg is a very tiny dose of adderall. I'm actually surprised it was effective for more than a few weeks. You're lucky! Bumping your dose is probably exactly what your doctor is expecting. Only when you start getting north of 40 to 60mg/day or so will most doctors really see red flags.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calm & focused For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Old 05-24-10, 09:34 PM

liz1 will become famous soon enough

I can relate to you in many ways here. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD & the first medication my psychiatrist tried was Ritalin IR 20 mg 3 x a day. That seemed to make a huge difference for about 4 months. Then I realized that it only lasted between 3-5 hours depending on the time of the day. I know that sounds odd, but really now that I think back thats how it was.

So my insurance changed & I found a new dr. He wanted to try Ritalin LA (long acting) Well that turned into a big mess. In April the dr switched me to Ritalin LA 20 mg 2 x a day. I did not feel much from it. I felt very tired, distant,depressed & spaced out. So he increased the Ritalin LA to 30 mg 2 x a day. In the meantime while I was waiting for the Ritalin LA 30 mg to be authorized through my insurance company he wanted me to take 30 mg of Ritalin IR 2 x a day, in combination with the Ritalin LA 20 mg. To make a long story short it did not work. I tried the increased dose, a lower dose. I even stopped taking the Ritalin LA and just took the Ritalin IR. I just did not feel the Ritalin was working for me anymore.

So I also felt that I needed to see a dr that specialized in Adult ADHD & thats what I did. I found a a psychiatrist that would only treat me if I would take part in therapy with him as well. I had been in therapy for years anyways so that was fine. It was actually what I wanted.

So my new dr now has prescribed me Adderall IR 5 mg 2 x a day. I have been on it for a week now. I quickly realized that I needed 10 mg 2 x a day & I actually just took 10 mg on my own. I had been dealing with feeling so awful on the Ritalin for a while that I was not going to deal with that again. The 10 mg worked wonders! I was absolutely shocked to see such a decrease in my anxiety after starting the Adderal. I am so pleased and I feel like I can function & socialize.

Adderall seems to last 4-6 hours most days. But sometimes I also wonder if the 10 mg dose is not enough for me. I have never tried any of the supplements that I have heard about on here. I would have to clear that with my doctors first. I do take vitamin B12 everyday and a Multivitamin. I see my dr again this coming Friday & I am feel that it is important to be honest & up front with how my medication is working or not working. So I will tell him that I increased my dose.

I am taking the Adderall Generic Barr. They are blue football shaped (5mg) they have a sweet candy taste to them. When I called my mail order pharmacy they told me that the Brand name is also Barr?? I do not really understand all of that, but for me Generics are $30 Brand name $50 for a 90 day supply, if the prior-authorization is granted.

I think you should be talk to your doctor. If your medication is no longer working the way it used to, I would address that soon. Thats just my opinion :-) Well good luck to you and I hope you get it all worked out. Sounds like we have a lot in common for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to liz1 For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Old 05-25-10, 03:04 AM

Thanks so much for everyone who posted their experiences.

I will bring it up when I go to my routine visit and see what he says.

The only thing that I regret is feeling like I have develop a dependency on a drug just to live, just to feel normal.. I know I don't need the drug to survive, but I need to drug to function. I never had to do this before. Its just a odd experience to come to realize that what makes you feel normal, like everyone else, is a pill. And without that pill, you aren't normal.

I start to get anxious around people who know I take adderall and I wonder if they think badly about me because I take this drug. That "oh he must be thinking XX or YY because hes simply on adderall, thats not what he thinks".

But I guess its normal to feel that way.

By the way, thanks for the tip on adding the word the the dictionary. I did, and it helps lol
Old 05-25-10, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

10mg worked for you, so I'm surprised that you consider it a problem. Other legal OTC stimulants such as Ephedrine, Caffeine, and some nasal decongestants may also help with ADD symptoms, so don't worry about dependency. They are not as good for ADD obviously, but you can function using them instead if you have to.

I'm on a low dosage as well, I will have to up it since Zoloft screws it up and its a small amount anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Old 05-25-10, 05:35 PM

Calm & focused has a spectacular aura aboutCalm & focused has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obfuscated View Post
Thanks so much for everyone who posted their experiences.

I will bring it up when I go to my routine visit and see what he says.

The only thing that I regret is feeling like I have develop a dependency on a drug just to live, just to feel normal.. I know I don't need the drug to survive, but I need to drug to function. I never had to do this before. Its just a odd experience to come to realize that what makes you feel normal, like everyone else, is a pill. And without that pill, you aren't normal.

I start to get anxious around people who know I take adderall and I wonder if they think badly about me because I take this drug. That "oh he must be thinking XX or YY because hes simply on adderall, thats not what he thinks".

But I guess its normal to feel that way.

By the way, thanks for the tip on adding the word the the dictionary. I did, and it helps lol
Hey bud, don't think about it as "normal" vs "flawed" people. Everyone has such a huge array of personality/cognitive traits that it's not as if there's some assembly line that is cranking out human brains, and it's not as if the realization that adderall improves your life means you're somehow "defective." Everyone has strong points and weak points, mentally, physically, emotionally, etc, and all you can do is take the available info, do a cost-benefit analysis, and choose what is best for you. You're not "dependant" on adderall simply because it makes you better at certain things more than any other person is "dependant" on coffee to wake up in the morning, Advil for joint pain, moisturizer for preventing wrinkles, or prescriptions for everything from lowering cholesterol, to getting erections, to depression, narcolepsy, anxiety, restless leg syndrome...and on and on and on...

Take advantage of the options in front of you and live your life!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calm & focused For This Useful Post:
Law Nerd (05-25-10), liz1 (05-26-10), Obfuscated (05-25-10)
Old 05-30-10, 09:05 AM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

Watch your diet. The only time I experience a decrease in the effective time is if I've eaten/drank something that affects the Adderalls absorption into my system.
Not feeling it work is one thing, Having it only last an hour or two is something completely different.