ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-26-10, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute
ADD + Comorbid: Supported Employment?

Anyone in the US have experience with supported employment or your state Dept. of Rehabilitation/Vocational Rehab?

I'm trying to get services now to give me the safety net I feel I'd need for job stability.

They probably haven't called me back because I don't sound like I need help. Supported employment is usually only for people with severe developmental disabilities. I don't understand why.

I was reading gov't statistics that say 90% of people with severe mental illness are unemployed. I think that people with moderate mental illness, especially non-NTs, are probably not only similarly unemployed but can slip into severe mental illness as a result of a low quality of life. Medications are not the answer. I think that supported employment is very good answer.

From a US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration web page:

"The Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) system often fails people with a mental illness. They are one of the largest disability groups referred to VR, but they achieve the worst employment outcomes relative to other disability groups. Medicaid is the largest public payer for mental health care, but it does not reimburse for vocational training and support for individuals with a mental illness, although many individuals with developmental disabilities receive such services under Home and Community Based Services programs."

Sucks, huh?

By the way, in the past few years that so many people have lost jobs, it seems more to me from numbers and maps that the jobs didn't disappear, but instead shifted geographically (within the US) and by sector. That there were/are no jobs just didn't seem to be the case. But then again, I am able/willing to relocate if I find good employment. Many people are not able to.

Anyway the Dept. of Rehabilitation hasn't called me back and maybe it's because I'm not developmentally disabled (enough?) and I don't seem ill, and there's no money to provide supported employment for people like me.
Old 11-16-10, 08:06 PM
Contributor

FroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to all
Re: ADD + Comorbid: Supported Employment?

Wow, I'm really surprised nobody ever responded to this.

I have a counselor thru my state's vocational rehab office and I've had him ever since my diagnosis was ptsd. I haven't even told him yet that I am now being treated for adhd.

He's been AWESOME in trying to get me retrained and back to work. And despite everything he's done for the last 3 or 4 yrs and all the encouragement, NOW I realize why I still wasn't following thru on his excellent advice.

He also told me that a large percentage of their clients are there because of mental illness and for ADDers... bring em on
Old 11-16-10, 11:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

Medication is the answer for most people with ADHD. I know I would be fighting for my job right now if I didn't have my medication. ADHD is one of the most treatable mental illnesses out there....on paper.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-10, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronball View Post
Medication is the answer for most people with ADHD. I know I would be fighting for my job right now if I didn't have my medication. ADHD is one of the most treatable mental illnesses out there....on paper.
The problems may start, though, when you cannot find or keep employment that will enable you to afford the healthcare and medication to treat the ADHD. . .which, in turn, would allow you to do the work without (or with very minimal) accommodations from the employer.

I've been trying to get information from my own local job-training program for people with mental illness and they don't seem interested in helping people who don't have a significant, "obvious" disability.

::sigh::

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 11-19-10, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

Hum, different countries I guess.

Here I don't worry about doctor bills, but pay 100 dollars a month for the medications (which is coverable by work insurance)...but ADHD isn't actually recognized as a disability here, and work doesn't have to provide additional accommodations.

You can always try the cheaper alternative (to doctors bills I guess) for treatment, that I find helps during medication downtimes:

-L-tyrosine supplements
-O Mega 3 supplements
-Exercise
-Low carb, High protein diet
-No caffiene

Doing those things help dramatically reduce my symptoms when not medicated...It's better then nothing :S