ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat > ADD Tech Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Tech Corner Discuss issues with software, hardware, viruses, security and other technology issues here.

Old 05-26-10, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold
Intel vs. AMD

I started this because I can see a heated debate just waiting to happen.

I am talking about the processors only.

I think that AMD tops Intel by a kilometer. AMD's 12 core tops Intel's 8 core processor. AMD also is much more more energy efficent.

If I wasn't stuck to mac, I'd be using AMD all the way.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Werl For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (05-26-10), ZiggyFry (09-06-10)
Old 05-26-10, 12:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,616 Times in 2,157 Posts
Addr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud of
Re: Intel vs. AMD

Nice!
Werl I have a mid grade gammer
That uses AMD Athlon ii x2 250 processor w3.00 ghz..back by a 700 PSU, it's not the 'best of the AMD's' but I think its beats intel parallel version
My 2 cents
"We all have such a Ring: it forms the foundations of our Dark Tower, namely the Ego, the false self. Our Quest, like Frodo's and Sam's, is to renounce the Ring and be rid of the hold it has over us...."
Tolkien
Old 06-11-10, 10:49 PM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2507
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-10, 12:20 AM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a bleeding edge guy always getting the latest thing, but these days I find that I get by just fine with my 5+ year old laptop and nearly 7 year old desktop.

In fact I resurrected my PowerMac G4 tower as a print server just the other day -- works great.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 06-12-10, 12:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Wow.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 06-12-10, 11:34 AM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

What strikes me, is that AMD is only really better regarding latency....BUT from my experience w/using Cricket 3G, wireless broadband....Which has over 100ms of latency...but the top speed of the total bandwith is a few hundred KBps more/Cricket 3G..

However 1MBps cable broadband is half the cost of that, and has around 4X's less latency.. Which is what makes it so much more responsive, dependable, etc..

Seems to be the case????

There must be a formula for clocking actual times, w/ factors in the latency, which greatly effects using the thing in real life scenarios..
Old 06-12-10, 12:57 PM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Whatever happened to Motorola?

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 06-20-10, 12:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

It wasn't keeping up with intel or AMD

Old 06-20-10, 01:04 AM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I think they should settle it by making their computers play chess. AMD on one side and Intel on the other. Speed it up to as fast as they can operate. Then we'll see. Oh yes then we will see.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 07-05-10, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Intel will make decisions faster but, AMD will be able to calculate every possible move of Intel faster, so it would be a toss up, who would be better at chess.

Old 09-06-10, 10:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about

I just recently built a computer for gaming and rendering images/animations.

My processor is an AMD Athlon II x4 620.

To be honest, the biggest factor was the price. This cpu was $100. Intel's equivalent was double that.

I've got her overclocked to 3 ghz. When you hit "render" (preferably with system monitor open to see all four cores shoot up to 100%), you'd better hold on to your seat!

Sorry intel, but AMD has stolen my heart.

Sin.Ziggy.
Old 09-06-10, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Another thing AMD has over intel is that AMD runs cooler (and use less energy).

Old 09-07-10, 10:19 AM

Good to know y'all.

Now, is overclocking a setting which tends to damage stuff, if left on? You just do that to test the limits?

AMD Athlon II x4 620

I just checked mine,
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz..

I set the HD Acoustics thing in the BIOS to "Performance".. Would that overclock the CPU? Applications tend to quicken their paces, w/this settting, I like it. T'is noticeably louder, on my PC, but I've noticed this setting doesn't effect my mother's PC's noise near as much.

(?)
Old 09-07-10, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinkin View Post
Good to know y'all.

Now, is overclocking a setting which tends to damage stuff, if left on? You just do that to test the limits?
As long as you can keep cool enough and you don't set the voltage too high, your hardware should last long enough to become completely outdated.

I'm not sure what you're doing with yours, but it sounds like it might be a overclocking preset. My motherboard supports a "turbo button" so I could overclock my cpu by pressing a certain button.

To know if you are actually overclocking your cpu, you'll want to check the "clock speed" before and after selecting "performance".

Sin.Ziggy.
Old 01-02-11, 02:49 PM

Thanked 1,475 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

I don't throw my loyalty to either company, whoever has a better product out at the time gets my money. I do tend to cheer for AMD though, its tough to be so competitive when your competitor is literally over 10x your size. But while its true that AMD's 12 core is at a lower price than some of Intel's quad cores, Intel's Instructions Per Clock are currently much higher, as in on a per-core basis Intel's current processors are faster. AMD sells you more cores for your money to overcome this, but most programs right now can't take full advantage of 4 cores, let alone 12. Only high end rendering/scientific/editing programs can do that right now.

And your wrong in saying that AMD has lower power consumption, the TDP (max) power draw is higher, but idle is lower and thats what matters more most of the time. Thats why i3/i5 laptops usually have better battery life than AMD's right now.

All that said, AMD's upcoming Fusion processors are almost certain to shake things up in a major way. Unlike the core i series which just puts a cheap integrated graphics chip on the same die as the processor, AMD's Fusion actually integrates the two chips into one, allowing them to use each others caches and execution units making both much much faster, much more power efficient, and with OpenCL can allow a programmer to take advantage of the graphics part for extremely high performance parallel computing, all on a single low power chip. They are dumping both CPU and GPU as names and calling it an APU, or accelerated processing unit, and should have them out sometime this year both on the high end and low end (atom competitor).

Yeah, so I totally just came out as a geek on this forum