ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-10, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

marie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud of
The ALL of Me

A year ago (almost to the day), I was at a park with my daughter when I suddenly became quite ill. I felt inebriated despite the loads of water we both drank throughout the afternoon. I managed to drive us both home where I dropped my purse and headed straight to bed. The moment my head hit the pillow, I experienced a serious case of rotational vertigo.

This wasn't a new thing as I'd been having my go-'round with vertigo off and on for more than 20 years. The difference was - where I used to readily compensate within a matter of 24-48 hours, I was not compensation. One GP, ENT, Audiologist, cardiologist, an MRI(white matter lesions), and Neuro later, I was diagnosed with a migraine disorder that hardly ever manifests as head pain...but as vertigo/dizziness. The dizziness became chronic as did the resulting exhaustion.

Vestibular Rehab Therapy promised great results - but would also trigger more dizziness, which can be expected. But my experiences were severe enough that I was unable to lift my head from my pillow for 2-3 days. Not tired...but a true feeling of weight in my head. VRT was discontinued, and I was prescribed Ritalin to address my two, main complaints.

For a year, I've lived with a new 'normal', which includes some level of dizziness. What the Ritalin has allowed me to do is to focus on the sensory information that makes sense. The hope is that compensation will naturally occur while I continue pushing through with the help of my medication.

In the first 3 weeks, I was on cloud nine. Not a sensation of being 'high' - and certainly not numb. I was, after 5 months of being next to unable to function, able to get up, make breakfast, coffee, read a freaking newspaper without feeling like I had to hurl. I was alive. I didn't feel the need for a nap after going to the bathroom. I didn't feel like I'd faint after seperating clothes. I could complete sentences, and not wonder, while driving on a daily route, where the hell I was. It was a godsend.

As time goes on, the dose has been adjusted. I take anywhere from 20-30 mg per day. I had another crash on June 3rd, but am back to my regular, daily dizziness baseline. This is a good thing.

Two weeks ago, I was dx'd with ADD by the psychologist who is treating my son for the same. This wasn't news to me as I'd long suspected it. It's nice to put a name to it.

I've always been creative and have had a gift of thinking outside of the box - and great difficulty with staying inside the box. I've been fortunate enough to have made the best use of this in my adult life, but the nuns HATED it. Since the nuns were the experts, my gifts went largely unappreciated by those who mattered most - my family. I was, simply, lazy, and every other name many ADHDers grow up with. The fact that I graduated HS is a total mystery to me. Except for English, typing, and 'the arts', I sucked.

Poor self-esteem further limited personal growth and I grew up imprisoned by the labels I learned to believe. I credit an unrecognized strength..another gift provided by the Divine...for my survival.

My next step is to see a neuro-psychologist to determine whether or not my life-long difficult with concentration may be playing a part the difficulty with vestibular compensation.

Meanwhile - the meds continue to help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie-johanne For This Useful Post:
Amtram (06-06-10), Marspider (06-06-10), meridian (06-06-10)
Old 06-06-10, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ALL of Me

Interesting. I'm glad that you are seeing an improvement. Vertigo attacks are horrible.
I get vertigo attacks sometimes though not as bad as you. When I get them, I get terrible headaches as well and I can't lie down as it makes the headache worse, and if I stand up, it makes the vertigo worse so I have to be in a halfway sitting position in tears. And after an attack, I get really tired.
Do you find you can get really irritable in the beginning of an attack? I get sore patches on my head as well.

I haven't had any full blown attacks for ages.
My doctor said they happened whenever I got asthma attacks and got fluid in my ears which put them out of imbalance. I know if I get an asthma attack and start wheezing and I've been stressed AND it's close to my period, they probably happen so I watch my asthma quite well. The asthma is the main factor though. Fish oil seems to help. Ginger helps with my nausea.

I've also found that moving from Madrid to the UK has helped. I think it might be the weather. Madrid is at a higher altitude and Spain in general is drier than the UK. And pollution clouds often gather above Madrid, because it's in a sort of bowl and since it doesn't rain that often with wind to wash it away, the pollution often lingers. I live about 20 minutes outside Madrid, and I often see a brown haze over the city.
I wonder about the altitude as well.

I know I also panic whenever I get too much information frontally through my eyes. I hate to meet a whole load of people when they disgorge from the metro/ subway and I see a mass of people coming towards me. If I look at them with my peripheral vision, I don't panic.
I read somewhere ages ago that some people get panic attacks if they get overstimulated.

It's interesting how all these conditions interlap with each other. I'm glad you are getting relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-johanne View Post
A year ago (almost to the day), I was at a park with my daughter when I suddenly became quite ill. I felt inebriated despite the loads of water we both drank throughout the afternoon. I managed to drive us both home where I dropped my purse and headed straight to bed. The moment my head hit the pillow, I experienced a serious case of rotational vertigo.

This wasn't a new thing as I'd been having my go-'round with vertigo off and on for more than 20 years. The difference was - where I used to readily compensate within a matter of 24-48 hours, I was not compensation. One GP, ENT, Audiologist, cardiologist, an MRI(white matter lesions), and Neuro later, I was diagnosed with a migraine disorder that hardly ever manifests as head pain...but as vertigo/dizziness. The dizziness became chronic as did the resulting exhaustion.

Vestibular Rehab Therapy promised great results - but would also trigger more dizziness, which can be expected. But my experiences were severe enough that I was unable to lift my head from my pillow for 2-3 days. Not tired...but a true feeling of weight in my head. VRT was discontinued, and I was prescribed Ritalin to address my two, main complaints.

For a year, I've lived with a new 'normal', which includes some level of dizziness. What the Ritalin has allowed me to do is to focus on the sensory information that makes sense. The hope is that compensation will naturally occur while I continue pushing through with the help of my medication.

In the first 3 weeks, I was on cloud nine. Not a sensation of being 'high' - and certainly not numb. I was, after 5 months of being next to unable to function, able to get up, make breakfast, coffee, read a freaking newspaper without feeling like I had to hurl. I was alive. I didn't feel the need for a nap after going to the bathroom. I didn't feel like I'd faint after seperating clothes. I could complete sentences, and not wonder, while driving on a daily route, where the hell I was. It was a godsend.

As time goes on, the dose has been adjusted. I take anywhere from 20-30 mg per day. I had another crash on June 3rd, but am back to my regular, daily dizziness baseline. This is a good thing.

Two weeks ago, I was dx'd with ADD by the psychologist who is treating my son for the same. This wasn't news to me as I'd long suspected it. It's nice to put a name to it.

I've always been creative and have had a gift of thinking outside of the box - and great difficulty with staying inside the box. I've been fortunate enough to have made the best use of this in my adult life, but the nuns HATED it. Since the nuns were the experts, my gifts went largely unappreciated by those who mattered most - my family. I was, simply, lazy, and every other name many ADHDers grow up with. The fact that I graduated HS is a total mystery to me. Except for English, typing, and 'the arts', I sucked.

Poor self-esteem further limited personal growth and I grew up imprisoned by the labels I learned to believe. I credit an unrecognized strength..another gift provided by the Divine...for my survival.

My next step is to see a neuro-psychologist to determine whether or not my life-long difficult with concentration may be playing a part the difficulty with vestibular compensation.

Meanwhile - the meds continue to help.