ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-04-04, 02:34 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice
SAM-E and Adderall together?

Can you take SAM-E and Adderal together?

I take SAM-E and I have always feared taking Adderal with it. What's the deal?
Old 07-04-04, 05:59 AM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road
Hi, its probably fine, Sam E shouldn't react negatively with it. But you can go to healthnotes.com and go to "safety checker" to find out. You can also look under Sam E and see if there are any drug interactions with it.
Old 07-04-04, 12:51 PM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice
Yeah, I've looked and found nothing. There is nothing negative on SAM-E on which is good and bad. I need to find out though because I am on it right now and I need to know if I need to get off it before going on Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-04, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
This is something that you should definetley talk to a medical professional about. Many over the counter herbs and supplements do interfer with prescription medication. They have just recently found out that something as simple as too much calcium can interfer with prescription medications.

This not to something to just ask people about online this is a serious matter which should be addressed with a medical professional.
Old 07-04-04, 01:53 PM
Contributor

If your answer is "go to a medical professional" for everything, then don't reply please. That really doesn't help me.
Old 07-04-04, 06:01 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,866 Times in 553 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
So DON'T see a doctor. See a pharmacist instead. At least talk to someone who actually has a medical degree and training to understand how and why certain ingredients will or will not interfere/interact with your meds.

By the way, Nick...check your attitude at the door. It's not appreciated here, and will not be tolerated. You've been warned.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
Sickle (07-24-08)
Old 07-24-08, 06:58 AM

balan is on a distinguished road
Re: SAM-E and Adderall together?

Quote:
Yeah, I've looked and found nothing. There is nothing negative on SAM-E on which is good and bad. I need to find out though because I am on it right now and I need to know if I need to get off it before going on Adderall

I seem to have had the same issue, I have all the symptoms for Type 2-Inattentive and Type 5-Limbic ADD. The addition of SAM-e to the rest of the meds has been like magic!! There seemed to be a high heart rate early on but seemed to die down later. Focus is better, ability to transition back and forth in crowded rooms and I'm also able to be social. There is no mental block when writing and no lack of confidence or second guessing. All in all, the depression is lifted but the focus has improved.

I checked my Blood pressure and pulse at the doctors today and also asked for advice on interactions of SAM-e and L-Tyrosine with Adderall and Wellbutrin. The doc has advised me to continue....
I'm taking Wellbutrin SR - 300mg at PM
Adderall XR - 30mg at AM
Tyrosine - 1500mg -- 500mgX2 in the afternoon (3pm) 500mg at PM bedtime
SAM-e -- 400mg at AM with Adderall -
Also DHA 2 caps and EPA 4 caps in the AM
1 Multivitamin - AM
Diet- High Protein Low Carb - No exercise yet
46g of Soy Protein Isolate 2 servings of 23g each - 1 at breakfast and 1 at lunch

Thought I would share my experience, hope it helps you.
Old 07-24-08, 08:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,345 Times in 606 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Nick,

The "go talk to a doctor" advice is great advice usually. It means the person is saying don't rely on us for this, because it's too technical and too important.

And by the way, no need to hide any of these "supplements" from your main doctors. And I'm guessing that you are NOT telling your doctor about them, because otherwise, he'd give you the thumbs up or thumbs down.

There is nothing wrong with telling a doctor I am trying a supplement. Present the dose and the frequency. The doctor is a paid employee of yours! ... If he acts like a jerk, fire him and move on ... You are hiring him. Do not let him intimidate you into not getting good info from him.

USE HIM! (figuratively and literally).
Old 07-24-08, 11:52 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

I hafta reiterate the "check with your doc" because it's important that they know everything you're taking.

That being said...

I took Sam-E for quite a while and never had any negative side effects or drug interactions. I never took it with Adderall (was on Lamictal by then so off the Sam-E) but I've taken it with a lot of other stuff (psych meds and otherwise) and never had a problem.

Sam-E has a very low incidence of interaction with other medications and side effects, generally. Much lower that most other supplements.

How much Sam-E do you take daily?