ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-16-10, 07:09 PM
Jr Member

eddri is on a distinguished road
Adderall and antacids

I understand you cannot mix the 2, but is it ok to take say Nexium or Protonix?? Is it ok, to take Valerian root for the anxiety? I just started taking 5mg Barr. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddri For This Useful Post:
JamalJ (07-12-12)
Old 06-21-10, 02:12 PM

Misfit is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and antacids

I was prescribed Nexium...if did have a pop up on the computer when the doctor was putting in the perscription about a potential conflict between the two...she said just to take at night time and it will be fine.

I would check with someone about Valarian as it does conflict with a lot of medications.
Old 06-22-10, 04:42 PM
Jr Member

pcjabber is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and antacids

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddri View Post
I understand you cannot mix the 2, but is it ok to take say Nexium or Protonix?? Is it ok, to take Valerian root for the anxiety? I just started taking 5mg Barr. Thank you.
I found a couple of reports where people have taken Valerian root while taking Adderall, and no one reported any "major issues."
(Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, and my post should not be interpreted as medical advice. You should consult your doctor or pharmacist about potential interactions. Your mileage may vary from those posted, etc )

Here are some of the relevant quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly67 View Post
I take Valerian for sleep some night's. Calm's me down. I also take my Adderall ( 1/2 my original dose,2.5mg) sometime's as late as 5 or 6:00pm. I can sleep though as it is a low dose. But helps when I am going out and need coverage. I could never do a full dose that late or I would be sorry the next day for lack of sleep!
(from http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=538097)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebelGrrrl View Post
To stop my racing thoughts at night my doc suggested that I try taking Valerian Root. It's herbal so it doesn't have any addictive properties like sleeping pills and it doesn't knock me out or leave me hungover in the morning. It just does what I need it to do - shuts off the racing thoughts! I really didn't think it would work (I'm not a big user of herbal remedies) but it's been a real help. It even helped with my insomnia when I was on Strattera and that was the worst! He also told me it's okay to take it during the day for help with anxiety and/or fidgeting. Might be worth a try. It's only like $4 over the counter at any pharmacy.
(from http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=123055)

There's also another report, but it's from Erowid, and many reports from Erowid are about "recreational" (read: illegal) use. The reporter for this particular case was prescribed Adderall, but also discusses less-than-legal behaviors in the report. One way or another, I'll say this: the 17-year-old male reported that Valerian root didn't cause any "major" side effects.

Last edited by peripatetic; 06-22-10 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links