ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ADD Forums?
Its amazing! Where have you been all my life?! 386 72.42%
Its great, but...(please post your wish list below) 147 27.58%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-04, 11:30 AM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
This may be the only one that limits the time you can edit with regards to AD/HD but more and more forums on the net are moving to time limited editing. The reason for this is simple... When people go back and edit for nefarious reasons, it makes a thread very hard to follow, or it makes another user look like the antagonist in either a debate or "fight".

It is unfortunate that because of these types of incidents everyone else loses out on the ability to go back days later and edit spelling mistakes but I have personally witness quite a few times where one person has started a thread that is offensive to others and then went back later and edited the offensive material out of his post, leaving the respondents looking like they were just giving the initial poster a hard time for no apparent reason.

It's not something that we like to have to put in place but it cuts down on abuse.

Hopefully we will have a spell checker installed in the not too distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardclam
Actually regarding the spellchecking, I'm on several other forums and this one is unique (among those, I mean) in not allowing members to go back and edit and/or delete their older posts. Is this a policy decision from the powers that be, or is this open for discussion?

It just seems to me like not allowing ADHD people to go back and fix mistakes they have made, or modify impulses they might later regret, is a potential recipe for unhappiness...
Old 07-07-04, 12:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Dave, it is possible to have both web & news based forums but pretty difficult (expensive).

One example I know is autodesk:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=130
news://discussion.autodesk.com autodesk.autocad.customization
Old 07-07-04, 12:38 PM
Contributor

NightStar is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dave for explaining the reason on not being able to edit, spell checker would be really nice, cause I am always trying to edit for spelling mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-04, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
NightStar I use an external editor to write with for it's spell checking ability. Then I can do all the editing I want. When I'm ready to post I just cut and paste. I use a simple text editor.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 07-07-04, 03:26 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Dave, it is possible to have both web & news based forums but pretty difficult (expensive).

One example I know is autodesk:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=130
news://discussion.autodesk.com autodesk.autocad.customization
Yes, and it looks like autodesk is missing a great deal of features that we have here. I tried a search, and at least for me, the results were extremely slow.

Anything is possible but getting there would be the hard part. There is a "hack" available for us to interface with the newsgroups but there are pitfalls for that as well.
Old 07-07-04, 03:27 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStar
Thanks Dave for explaining the reason on not being able to edit, spell checker would be really nice, cause I am always trying to edit for spelling mistakes.
I promise that a spell-checker is high up on the priority list for the next additions.
Old 07-07-04, 03:28 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschaotic
NightStar I use an external editor to write with for it's spell checking ability. Then I can do all the editing I want. When I'm ready to post I just cut and paste. I use a simple text editor.
Cheers! Ian.
That is exactly what I do when I am concerned about it. As you all might be able to tell in some of my other posts, I'm not concerned enough! lol
Old 07-07-04, 06:04 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Thanx David for the response! I suspected that might have been the reason. I too have seen flamewars in which the original material was deleted and it simply created a storm of people demanding to know what the fight was about... so I understand...

It's just frustrating because like many ADD people, I tend to blurt first and think later, and not being able to take back my words... I'm sure you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I promise that a spell-checker is high up on the priority list for the next additions.
PLEASE can this be optional and not mandatory????
Old 07-07-04, 07:34 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,041 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
We'll definitely consider that!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 07-08-04, 01:48 AM
Contributor

Brianne will become famous soon enough
Cool spell check was the only thing I could think of. Other than that I have been very impressed with the recent upgrades. I had some minor problems with the old one but haven't had really any here that couldn't be fixed by simply just asking. I mean I know some things are just minor unexpected glitches. Nothing is perfect but for me this site is as close to perfect as possible. Just wish I had come in here a long time ago when it was first mentioned to me. I don't know what I was waiting on! If I had only known then what I was missing out on! I love this place. I can get advise on most anything and I think this is one of the few places non-ADD spouces can go to. Heck I don't know of any others. Wish Ken used it but hey I think its brilliant that its here when or if needed.

One sugestion if you can make a spell check upgrade in the future. That you can add words to its dictionary. I just know that my name when typed always comes out as misspelled because its not in most dictionaries it thinks I mean Brian or Brianna instead. That way we can add peoples user names that obviously won't be in dictionaries.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart!

Forgetfulness is a sign of genius!

-Bri
Old 07-08-04, 05:56 AM

clawless has disabled reputation
well i must say i have found this forum a great help,

lots of info available, love that you can go back and read old posts, lots of help and ideas to be found there.

the spell check would be good for me.

one important thing for me is how easy i have found it to use as i'm still only learning to use the computer and even i can find my way around although help was at hand when i needed it which was great

being from the uk and an outsider so to speak i feel that i have been made very welcome and it is nice to know you are all there to help with questions i may have and are able to give me some of your experiences as its still so new over here the knowledge you have could make all the difference

it would be good if more uk people used the uk part of the forum so we could exchange things that were just relevant to us but i don't really know how many of us are here and use this forum but i'll keep on checking it

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 07-08-04, 02:48 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
spell check &

1) i wonder if having a spell check program on board would obligate posters to use it. right now, no one gives anyone a hard time about spelling and that is a good thing!!! just wondering if that aspect of the board would stay the same.

i'm probably worrying for nothing. that happens sometimes. do you think i should talk to someone about that?

2) is there any way to move the "latest news for ADD forums" banner box to the bottom of the page. maybe as an option? i find the scrolling test distracting and *every* time i go to the front page, i have to hide that banner again. sorry to be petty, but, you asked...

i love the community that you all have worked so hard to bring together. thanks.
Old 07-08-04, 02:50 PM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
lol I think the scrolling banner was originally at the bottom, but that meant that not everyone would see if there was something important posted like live chat or something...I think...
Old 07-08-04, 04:39 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezie
2) is there any way to move the "latest news for ADD forums" banner box to the bottom of the page. maybe as an option? i find the scrolling test distracting and *every* time i go to the front page, i have to hide that banner again. sorry to be petty, but, you asked...
It can't be moved to the bottom but you can basically turn it off, or hide it from view by clicking on the little icon on the top right of that box. That icon looks like two verticle arrows, for lack of a better word. Clicking it will contract the box and clicking it again will re-expand it. What you decide will be saved in your accounts preferences.
Old 08-09-04, 08:22 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
My husband and I after much debate decided to let our pre-teen son join. We've discovered some difficulty in finding the appropriate place for him to post. Right now we are using one thread in the teen section...I believe anything more than that would get too confusing for him. I have been contacted by other members who would like their pre-teens to also join and I just give them the blunt answer I don't know lol we need a little time to work out the bugs.

I would like to see a section for pre-teens to post. I check his email and his posts before they are entered and the replies before he does to make sure everything is on the up and up and that there is no mmmmm abuse's so to speak, it would be really helpful and cut back on time if I could register his notices to go to my email instead of having to check two accounts all the time. I'm not asking for miracles am I?

I know I'm asking a lot but we have noticed that Koda is making more of an effort to get involved in his own therapy which is something we've been trying to do for a long time and he's mentioned to his dad that other members had the same problems he's having with school and they are helping him learn how to fix his stuff...I think what he's trying to say is someone else has been there, done that and survived...so can I.

Right now everytime we log on he must read a new guideline and explain to me what it means. Our next phase will be to learn to use the edit button, smillies and report bad post's or abuse's. The forums are like any other organization he's joined he has rights and so do others and he must understand those rights and be respectful or he can kiss the priveledge good bye.

Thank you
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"