ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ADD Forums?
Its amazing! Where have you been all my life?! 386 72.42%
Its great, but...(please post your wish list below) 147 27.58%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-04, 11:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
I have a suggestion for forums and I don't want to upset or make anyone mad at me. I have held my tongue even though it's against all I believe in. So....here goes.

What about a private section for those wanting to discuss religeon? Similar to the other private forums. That way, it would let those of us wishing to discuss it have a place to feel safe enough to do so. But also, keep those who want nothing to do with it away from any discussion that they don't want to see.

That is my suggestion...whether you choose to implement it or not..is up to the powers that be.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 09-24-04, 11:27 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
I second Mary's request.

There's something about individuality and all of us being able to 'accept' our differences that I'm clinging to.

Just in my/our world in general we all seem to be struggling to be so 'nice' and 'politically correct' to each other that I'm afraid somewhere we'll lose our uniqueness.

I'm just saying...it's just my opinion as someone trying to learn as much as I can right now about mental healthiness I'm not threatened by anyone's personal beliefs if they are polite and have an experience that can help me I'm listening.

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 09-24-04, 11:43 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I have a suggestion. How about you answer people's comments instead of just deleting them?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 12:34 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
I really like that idea Mary..Yer awesome...

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-25-04, 02:20 AM
Banned

I would like to comment on Mary's request because I have seen something similar actually tried and can report on the results.

I am also a member of a technical forum (www.windrivers.com) where they have instituted a separate "Politicos" forum for those who want to talk politics, because it was annoying the people who just wanted computer help. This has been in place for about a month now and is going along mostly nicely; the debate in it is CONSTANT, and sometimes gets hostile, but so far nobody has been seriously offended... they all seem to accept that if they go into the Politicos forum it is a given they will have to cope with people of contrasting viewpoints. The ones who aren't interested in political argument simply don't go into that forum... so far it is working.

Granted politics are not the same as religion, but I notice you banned them too.
Old 09-25-04, 02:42 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Smile Brilliant!

I belong to several forums not related to health, but this is the best layout I have seen.

Many are a maze to get around, and I think a forum should be easy to navigate.

On Mary's post, she said .....<quote>I have a suggestion for forums and I don't want to upset or make anyone mad at me. I have held my tongue even though it's against all I believe in. So....here goes.

What about a private section for those wanting to discuss religeon? Similar to the other private forums. That way, it would let those of us wishing to discuss it have a place to feel safe enough to do so. But also, keep those who want nothing to do with it away from any discussion that they don't want to see.

That is my suggestion...whether you choose to implement it or not..is up to the powers that be.</quote>

I tend to agree with this. I have seen it implemented on forums and it comes witha warning attached to not go and complain to admin or moderators if feelings are hurt. In other words, enter at your own risk.

I think a debate forum is a useful addition on any forum.

I know I'm new, so my opinion may not count for a lot, but I'm not new to forums, and some people love to debate.

Other than that, as a new user to this forum; congratulations!

~Viktoria
Old 09-25-04, 02:46 AM

Apologies, I got the quote feature all wrong......
Old 09-25-04, 02:57 AM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Viktoria, Took me some practice, too, with the quote feature. The button in the lower right corner works like magic!

I, too, think this sounds like a great idea. An "enter at your own risk" section, which means uncensored, to me. It would be different than the Private Addult section because in that section there is still someone supervising which provides more security for us "nervous nellies".

I am also relatively new and have been really impressed with the quality, volume, and variety provided here. It's an enormous compliation of life experiences and perspectives that makes this forum, in my opinion, so incredibly valuable.

Kim
Old 09-25-04, 03:16 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
The Bond we have between each other as a whole is special and I know ADD minds can always put heads together and come up with great solutions to the biggest of issues...that what so cool about this place.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-25-04, 04:41 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Yes I would really like a private religion forum. There are tons of religious forums on the internet I assume, but I want to talk to other ADDers about their spirtuality. I think it is a major issue for me and the people around me. I need some open debate about this problem in my life.
Old 09-25-04, 06:39 AM

Garry has disabled reputation
Ive stayed quiet on this one but I also agree, as I can claim that faith is a definate part of the healing process that I am currently experencining.

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 09-25-04, 08:47 AM

Smile

Thanks Kim for the quote tip !!!

I agree with the religion forum, but then people may want a politics forum, so how about a plain "debate" forum? Scary Idea? .......at least all will know why they are attending, and on the internet there is a URL which as yet I don't think I can post [forgotten all the rules ] which gives an excellent outline for debating effectively. It attempts to show people how to debate without the use of personal attacks, ect.

It's called "How to debate effectively and rationally". Find it via google .

But even if feelings are hurt, everyone who enters, does so at their own risk.

Just my further 2cents
~Viktoria
Old 09-25-04, 09:04 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,042 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
I appreciate all the valuable feedback from our members. The senior staff of the Forums have been in discussions on how to accomodate these types of topics at the ADD Forums, and when we have reached a consensus, we will certainly share our decision with you.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! Please keep them coming

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 09-25-04, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
...so how about a plain "debate" forum?...
This is a logical question but I don't think it would match what those in favour of religious discussion are hoping for.

I've noticed around the forums that a number of people turn to religion as their way of coping with the often serious problems we have to face in life as ADDers and the loved ones of ADDers... their faith is what gives them the strength to cope and the hope to go on. They aren't coming here looking to debate religion, but rather to give and get advice and support from like-minded people...

And when religion is some people's main coping mechanism, and we come here to discuss our coping mechanisms, does it make sense to disallow all mention of it?

Politics are a separate issue... and I personally can see less justification for needing to talk about them here, except as they directly impact on the lives of those affected by ADD. For example, if one politician contended that ADD didn't exist and schools shouldn't recognize or accommodate for it, is that not something we would have a serious need to discuss here?

One other note:

There are many people who have compared the removing of religion from the forums here to the removing of prayers from public school. I don't think the analogy applies. There are no organized public prayers here, and nobody has ever been forced to listen to or participate in religious rituals they don't want to, and even if someone TRIED to force someone else, the forum's nature more or less makes it impossible for them to succeed...

This is more like debating whether or not there should be Bibles in hotel rooms. The Bible was put there by well-meaning people and is simply available for people if they want it... while some people are still offended by these Bibles, my personal opinion to them would be that they need to get a life, and if its that important to them, why don't they make an effort to get inspirational material more to their liking available as well in hotels everywhere for people to choose from? From a purely mathematical standpoint, those Bibles do a (pardon the term) hell of a lot more good for people than they offend.
Old 09-25-04, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardclam
This is a logical question but I don't think it would match what those in favour of religious discussion are hoping for.

I've noticed around the forums that a number of people turn to religion as their way of coping with the often serious problems we have to face in life as ADDers and the loved ones of ADDers... their faith is what gives them the strength to cope and the hope to go on. They aren't coming here looking to debate religion, but rather to give and get advice and support from like-minded people...

And when religion is some people's main coping mechanism, and we come here to discuss our coping mechanisms, does it make sense to disallow all mention of it?

Politics are a separate issue... and I personally can see less justification for needing to talk about them here, except as they directly impact on the lives of those affected by ADD. For example, if one politician contended that ADD didn't exist and schools shouldn't recognize or accommodate for it, is that not something we would have a serious need to discuss here?

One other note:

There are many people who have compared the removing of religion from the forums here to the removing of prayers from public school. I don't think the analogy applies. There are no organized public prayers here, and nobody has ever been forced to listen to or participate in religious rituals they don't want to, and even if someone TRIED to force someone else, the forum's nature more or less makes it impossible for them to succeed...

This is more like debating whether or not there should be Bibles in hotel rooms. The Bible was put there by well-meaning people and is simply available for people if they want it... while some people are still offended by these Bibles, my personal opinion to them would be that they need to get a life, and if its that important to them, why don't they make an effort to get inspirational material more to their liking available as well in hotels everywhere for people to choose from? From a purely mathematical standpoint, those Bibles do a (pardon the term) hell of a lot more good for people than they offend.
You have made some very valid points, and ones I did not think of. I still think a debate forum would be a good idea; but not necessarily for religion or politics.

You have made me really think here , and I tend to be with you on much of what you have said. How about a "spiritual" forum where "NO" debating is allowed?

As for politics, it's not something I would debate, but I was attempting to be fair in my suggestions. I see where you are coming from, but as the wife of an ADHD'er who LOVES debate [clean debate only] I can see why some people would actually enjoy the challenge of debate. Debating is an art form in, and of itself.

I make no suggestions as to what the debate subjects should be, they can be about anything; what I suggest is let those who dare, enter; enter at their own risk. If two or more wish to gather and debate religion in the 'debate' forum, who has made the choice to go there? They have! BUT, I think a seperate forum is required for religion, with no debating allowed.
A debate forum which is private, so that those wishing to enter have to make a request to admin is more where I would think of being beneficial to all.

However, I like your thinking. Good points on the religious aspect. Spiritual forum? . Perhaps your ideas have sparked a further need to think this through.
~Viktoria