ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of the ADD Forums?
Its amazing! Where have you been all my life?! 386 72.42%
Its great, but...(please post your wish list below) 147 27.58%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-04, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I also want a glossary for all the short terms like OCD. There are a lot of them and I'm not familiar with them all.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 09-25-04, 03:54 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
How would a debate forum help to support people with AD/HD and co-existing conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
Thanks Kim for the quote tip !!!

I agree with the religion forum, but then people may want a politics forum, so how about a plain "debate" forum? Scary Idea? .......at least all will know why they are attending, and on the internet there is a URL which as yet I don't think I can post [forgotten all the rules ] which gives an excellent outline for debating effectively. It attempts to show people how to debate without the use of personal attacks, ect.

It's called "How to debate effectively and rationally". Find it via google .

But even if feelings are hurt, everyone who enters, does so at their own risk.

Just my further 2cents
~Viktoria
Old 09-25-04, 03:56 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,042 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschaotic
I also want a glossary for all the short terms like OCD. There are a lot of them and I'm not familiar with them all.
ian

That's an EXCELLENT idea! I'll start working on that

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 04:16 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardclam
I've noticed around the forums that a number of people turn to religion as their way of coping with the often serious problems we have to face in life as ADDers and the loved ones of ADDers... their faith is what gives them the strength to cope and the hope to go on. They aren't coming here looking to debate religion, but rather to give and get advice and support from like-minded people...

And when religion is some people's main coping mechanism, and we come here to discuss our coping mechanisms, does it make sense to disallow all mention of it?
There is a spirituality forum under the treatment managmant section. The forum got very little use. Many of those posts there have almost nothing to do with how religion helped people with ADD. A lot of them were just general talk about relgion with no connection to how this help people deal with ADD.

This forum had very little to do with why discussion on relgion is not allowed at ADD Forums. There were several issues that brought this on. Some posts made in the public forums and some were issues that were brought to the attention of the admin privately. We made a descision to protect the ADD Forums community. We are aware that not all people would agree with this descision but we did what we thought was best.

Up until very recently there had been almost no suggestions from members about other ways of dealing with this issue. Nor, were very many people who contaced the admin to discuss this issues. Instead people just complained about it, got angry, gossiped about the issues etc.

I am really happy to see that people are coming forward and making suggestion instead of just telling the admin how wrong we were. I think the members of this forum need to be aware that there are many issues that go on behind the scenes that the admins and other staff have to deal with. There are many things that members are not aware of. We ask that while you may not agree with the choices that we make that you understand we make them to protect the ADD Forums Community.

Also, the admins are open to suggestions and will try to answer questions if you contact us.
Old 09-25-04, 05:00 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
ian

As requested, here is a Acronym Glossary

Old 09-25-04, 05:16 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
<feels like total yuts...I agree 100% with ya, Tara. Suggestions on how to make this work is hell of a lot better than Beotching about it....I glad to see we can try to find ways to help each other meet half way on stuff Hugs

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-25-04, 05:37 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draga
<feels like total yuts...I agree 100% with ya, Tara. Suggestions on how to make this work is hell of a lot better than Beotching about it....I glad to see we can try to find ways to help each other meet half way on stuff Hugs

We're not meeting halfway....we're finding a solution that will work for this community.

Old 09-25-04, 05:46 PM

Well...fiddle de de...that the way I see it...at least lemme have dat fantasy

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-25-04, 05:47 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Thanks Andrew. That guide is huge!! heh
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 09-25-04, 06:02 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Quote:
Thanks Andrew. That guide is huge!! heh
ian

You asked...We delivered

Old 09-25-04, 06:06 PM

Sowwy for confusion, BIG. reading comprehension not all it cracked up to be.

Old 09-26-04, 02:39 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwithadd
How would a debate forum help to support people with AD/HD and co-existing conditions?
It doesn't But people disagree from time to time on any forum. Simply banning the subject imo is not the answer. I saw one massive forum go down due to subjects being disallowed.

Another opened and took it's place. This forum called one section "disagreements", and not debate. It worked, and subsequently became a place that ended up extremely popular. It made 'minds' work. Apologies, but I won't mention the subject matter as I do not think it would help this thread

And reading more now, I can see there is a place for those who wish to discuss religion. Why isn't it being used? <my bad>
~Viktoria
Old 09-26-04, 11:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I'm chiming in on the religion/debate topic. Firstly, I apologize for a few recent uncomfortable posts I made questioning religion & politics. I thought I contained myself pretty well & I don't desire to make a big habit of covering those topics.

As it stands now, I don't think these subjects are banned, it seems people just try to steer away from debating politics & religion & that general mood is picked up by new visitors, & understood by old timers and that suits me well. Debating on the internet can be fun but more often it turns into blood pressure problems & time wasting than productive learning or helpful sharing. In any case I don't think it's necessary in this forum.

I'd prefer no specific bans except on "foul language" and of course prolonged personal attacks. Sometimes there will be personal disagreements but they seem to get handled pretty quickly. The attentiveness of moderators keeps things very manageable. A strict ban on discussing controversial topics would only encourage such behaviour & /or make people feel censored so I'd rather see things continue as is. A special debate room would also encourage irrelevant & potentially messy situations. The basic policy is that this is a family forum suitable for kids to browse & that's fine by me. As it is, disagreements are handled as quickly & smoothly as reasonable & it all works out.

Politics tends to just be a divisive thing. ADHD does not relate to politics & it's more valuable to share personal experiences minus the politics. If I hear people expressing strong political opinions here it pushes my buttons and makes me see our differences, rather than what we can share. Sometimes groups will feel a political viewpoint is pretty commonly accepted and it's OK to speak openly about because noone inside the group disagrees but this is too broad a group to have a particular political slant so when I've seen something like that here, I've commented if I disagree because I don't appreciate that. So basically, yeah, politics should be discouraged, banned actually. If it's politics about ADHD that's fine but war & abortion just simply have nothing to do with ADHD.

As for religion, well that's somewhat similar or it can be. There might be folks discussing new age spirituality & a Christian might see something pagan & get offended or if Christian chat becomes too commonplace an atheist might get annoyed that the forum begins to look like a religious support group. My personal religious convictions lead me to debate against religion and towards personal responsibility. Others might feel inclined to promote their particular beliefs. But really it doesn't matter, as these are more personal approaches to life and most ADHD issues can be discussed without leaning too heavily on them. The key here is restraint I think. An outright ban would be too strict but a general attitude of avoiding too much emphasis on religious specifics is a good idea in my opinion.
Old 09-26-04, 11:44 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Please note the following changes:

1. The Creative Writing and Poetry sections are now exempt from the Religion and Politics ban, but only authors are able to post in there. Only Authors are able to add additional poems and comments to their Poetry threads. Please see the Poetry and Creative Writing sections for additional comments on the new guidelines.

2. The Meditation and Spirituality section of the forums will soon contain a Religion and ADD subsection, which will be exempt from the Religion ban. This section will be watched VERY carefully by the ADD Forums Staff, and the remainder of the ADD Forums Guidelines will be STRICTLY enforced.

3. Please note, that while the ADD Forums welcomes contructive criticism from all members, all decisions by the ADD Forums Administration are made for the benefit of ALL of our International membership. We will never discriminate based on sex, creed, religion, disability, country or political affiliation.

Old 09-26-04, 02:00 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Thank you. I apologize for being difficult.

I still disagree with you over a whole buncha stuff, but I don't want it to get in the way, so I'll shut up now.