ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-27-10, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of
Checkin out old report cards....

I move around so frequently that I'm getting really tired of trying sell my case to new GPs, that I'm considering going the formal route with a psych analysis. So I can just say: Look at this! Refill my prescription and like it, chump!

Has anyone gone the more thorough route of diagnosis where they actually went back and looked at your school records and transcripts? I've heard that the more thorough ones like to check your history to see if there's any evidence during childhood via report cards and interviewing someone who has known you for a long time.

I'm sure the evidence is there. I'm very confident in it, in fact, but I was just wondering, do these places get a hold of these schools to get this evidence? Do they just rely on you to scrounge together one or two of your old report cards that illustrate adhd like behaviours?

I just am wondering if I'm going to have to go through the PITA that's involved with getting some of the 15 schools I've been in (around the country I might add) to cough up some evidence. Should I even bother...it all just seems like such a drag...haha
Old 06-27-10, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Checkin out old report cards....

Depends, Ron.

If I recall, you are over 30. Your present life will have greater significance (or SHOULD) in making an accurate diagnosis. Examples of how ADHD affects you in your work environment would be as good or better than old school reports.

If you have been prescribed by a physician, I would start by saying "I have ADHD" and see where it goes.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ronball (06-27-10)
Old 06-28-10, 03:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

goughy has disabled reputation

I got some old report cards from my parents and uni results where available. My parents had altercations with my grade 5 teacher. He'd made the comment on my report that if I don't start concentrating I'll get no where in life!

Pity he was right
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-10, 12:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

arrested_truth has a spectacular aura aboutarrested_truth has a spectacular aura about

I usually had great grades for homework, and general cooperation; never was sent to the principals office.
But for some reason almost every year I would get a "S-" which is like a score 1 out of 3 for 'self control'
Old 01-16-13, 02:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronball View Post
I move around so frequently that I'm getting really tired of trying sell my case to new GPs, that I'm considering going the formal route with a psych analysis. So I can just say: Look at this! Refill my prescription and like it, chump!

Has anyone gone the more thorough route of diagnosis where they actually went back and looked at your school records and transcripts? I've heard that the more thorough ones like to check your history to see if there's any evidence during childhood via report cards and interviewing someone who has known you for a long time.

I'm sure the evidence is there. I'm very confident in it, in fact, but I was just wondering, do these places get a hold of these schools to get this evidence? Do they just rely on you to scrounge together one or two of your old report cards that illustrate adhd like behaviours?

I just am wondering if I'm going to have to go through the PITA that's involved with getting some of the 15 schools I've been in (around the country I might add) to cough up some evidence. Should I even bother...it all just seems like such a drag...haha
I know this is a super old thread but I thought it was relevant to my recent diagnostic process and though other newbs could appreciate the content.

I was lucky that my mom held onto my report cards from high school and college. In HS, I had B-Ds and then when I realized I had to up my GPA to get into my university, the next 1.5 years were all As and Bs. This was really helpful to show the analyst that I CAN do work when I am focused on it but that if it doesn't benefit me, I will goof off or skip class entirely. Then in college you see a ton of withdraw and incompletes, with grades all over the board - it took me 8 years to graduate with a 2.5 (just barely got my degree). I also included one of my term papers so he could see my A-product work which still ended up being a C in the class because I simply woudln't show up or do the homework which is typical ADD behavior.

So if you have this info, I would totally bring it. I also wrote a very long and detailed history and symptom summary for him (which was basically just a repeat of everything asked during the interview), but it also proves hyperfocus. I think this really helps my case...
Old 01-16-13, 03:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

GeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a nightmare.

Lucikly the NHS in the UK has a massive national system which saves all your records. So no matter where you love to or which GP you go and see all your details and medical history is on that system.
Old 01-16-13, 03:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Well Iīm not sure that they want physical evidence. I donīt have any school reports but do remember the comments that teachersīmade about me and my too fast brain and lack of study and concentration skills.
Old 01-16-13, 03:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
Well Iīm not sure that they want physical evidence. I donīt have any school reports but do remember the comments that teachersīmade about me and my too fast brain and lack of study and concentration skills.
That might be enough, or they might send you home with a survey for your parents to fill as additional feedback of your younger struggles. The process appears to be different according to each analyst.
Old 01-17-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyFishButt View Post
That might be enough, or they might send you home with a survey for your parents to fill as additional feedback of your younger struggles. The process appears to be different according to each analyst.

LOL. My parents were in denial. They only saved the report cards without comments save one or two. When filling out survey they didn't want to really do it. Then after I had been diagnosed a while they came to accept it. But sometimes parents have blinders on when it comes to their children.
Old 01-17-13, 03:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver358 View Post
LOL. My parents were in denial. They only saved the report cards without comments save one or two. When filling out survey they didn't want to really do it. Then after I had been diagnosed a while they came to accept it. But sometimes parents have blinders on when it comes to their children.
Dude! I was on the phone with my mom asking for her answers on the survey and my husband was straight up LAUGHING in the background. Loudly. Not only is he in denial about my condition........he is also pretty damn ADD himself and refuses to admit that he was Dxd and Rxd as a kid even though his mother has told me every last detail. People are really weird.

I'll tell you something interesting that my pdoc said today. That the objective computer tests help only to diagnose WHICH TYPE of adhd you are but that a reasonal psych should be able to diagnose you within a 20 minute conversation. Also, my symptoms change day to day. Like, today I am not all that impulsive because I am muy tired but my inattentive is totally making up for the impulsive activity. Splitting up the diagnostic appts is a good idea.