ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-10, 07:12 AM

riloal is on a distinguished road
Ritalin, a silent killer, read info. It,s scaring

I found this information on the net.

Re: Ritalin, a silent killer, read info. It,s scaring

This is a true story. One of our children has been diagnosed with aplastic anemia. Much worse than it sounds, it?s bone marrow failure (damage), effecting all 3 blood cell types, and potentially, chromosomal changes resulting in genetic DNA damage; after nearly 8 years of Ritalin consumption. Initially, a urinalysis identified proteins in the urine (indicative of disease). Blood tests showed ?low blood platelets?, two bone marrow biopsies (BMB) confirmed a diagnosis of aplastic anemia. FYI - A bone marrow biopsy reveals "cellularity", which is "the quality and quantity of the billions of cells our bone marrow creates per day." Our child should be at 60-70% cellularity. The first BMB revealed a cellularity of 15-20% with patches of 1-2%. We suspected the Ritalin then, but our oncologist denied the connection, however, we discontinued it?s use anyway. Two years later, now 2006, our child?s red & white blood cells now followed suit and are now both seriously low too. All tests ruled out pre-existing genetic tendencies for disease, so it?s technically, secondary aplastic anemia (it was acquired). A 1991 RX drug guide lists "low blood platelets, and low red & white blood cells as a severe adverse reaction to Ritalin." Additionally, the PDR (Physician?s Desk Reference) Guide from as early as 1979 also listed ITP, and Leukopenia, as serious adverse reactions. However, this information IS NOT on DRUG LABEL warnings that parents receive TODAY. Why has this information been suppressed? We are horrified, shocked and outraged! The reason I write? An estimated 6 million children on Ritalin. It is not known how long a child must be on these types of meds to begin experiencing a toxicity in their blood cells, but I?m concerned it may not be too long,

Any long term user of ritalin has done bood tests to see if their blood cells are ok? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to riloal For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 08:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I am little confused, is this YOUR child in this "story?" ......if it is not, exactly WHERE did you find this story......?????? and where is the documentation, and/or a link to the "site " you found on the net .......

and of course everything you find on the net is true, right ? sure.....

maybe a site run by the Tom Cruise puppetmasters....( gotta love my brain at 4:52 in the morning, can't think of the name .....sorry, I'll go back to sleep and let the east coast guys get you on this one ......except..... cool, just thought of it............Scientology.....I think they have a publicity staff who has nothing else to do but throw misinformation about ADD and the meds used into the already huge pile o' c*** that people pick up and believe cause it sounds so "scientific"

Interesting that you bring this kind of "out of the clear blue sky" scare tactic piece of writing in your first dozen posts.....where-ever have I noticed that before ????

I will go back to sleep, will be interesting to read what my fellow members have to say about this ......when I wake up

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Possum (07-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-10, 09:55 AM

It,s not my child, this is from a web page

Last edited by peripatetic; 07-02-10 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: removal of link to forum without reciprocal link per guidelines
Old 07-02-10, 10:02 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,068 Times in 7,049 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

salleh,

A little harsh, don't you think?

S/he is just sharing some information s/he found. I'm sure other forum members are more than equipped to debate the issue in a civil manner.

I suppose I will now be chastised for critisising a long-time-poster in my "first dozen posts".
Old 07-02-10, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Childe Roland has a spectacular aura aboutChilde Roland has a spectacular aura about

Correlation ≠ Causation

Example: Bob drank skim milk every day; one day, Bob died. There is no reason to believe the skim milk is to blame. :P
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Childe Roland For This Useful Post:
crazylegs12588 (07-12-10), Dizfriz (07-02-10), Imnapl (07-05-10), JBPDX (07-02-10), Lunacie (07-02-10), meadd823 (07-02-10), patrick176 (08-21-10), Possum (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 10:22 AM

Thanked 16,386 Times in 7,744 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Did a Google for "Ritalin + aplastic anemia" and didn't find any links I'd consider really good showing any connection. It's certainly possible that such a reaction could occur in a very small percentage of Ritalin users, but all medications (including the over-the-counter ones) can be linked to very serious side effects.

I myself took a new med to treat my blood pressure several years ago and had an anaphylactic reaction that could have killed me, but I'm not plastering my story all across the web trying to scare people away from taking that medication. It's been very helpful for thousands of people, possibly millions, and I am one of a very small percentage who had a bad reaction.
Old 07-02-10, 10:31 AM

Thanked 16,386 Times in 7,744 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
salleh,

A little harsh, don't you think?

S/he is just sharing some information s/he found. I'm sure other forum members are more than equipped to debate the issue in a civil manner.

I suppose I will now be chastised for critisising a long-time-poster in my "first dozen posts".
Out of sheer curiousity I looked to see what the OP's other posts have been about - and they are all in the same vein. Negative side effects of meds for ADHD may possibly be a valid concern for the OP - but it does look strange, eh?
Old 07-02-10, 10:33 AM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

From the Novartis fact sheet:
"PRECAUTIONS
Periodic CBC, differential, and platelet counts are advised during prolonged therapy."

From RXlist.com Side Effects of Ritalin LA:
"Although a definite causal relationship has not been established, the following have been reported in patients taking this drug: instances of abnormal liver function, ranging from transaminase elevation to hepatic coma; isolated cases of cerebral arteritis and/or occlusion; leukopenia and/or anemia; transient depressed mood; aggressive behavior; a few instances of scalp hair loss."

This child the OP is referring to is one of the few rare unfortunate individuals to have had this side effect. Note that the literature states that no causal relationship has been established, meaning that it is unknown if the medication itself caused the problem (or it could have pushed an already compromised immune system or the condition may have developed concurrently and unrelated).

These serious side-effects are rare, and keep in mind, aspirin has killed thousands.
Abi (07-02-10), Dizfriz (07-02-10), Imnapl (07-05-10), meadd823 (07-02-10), Possum (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 10:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take scientific studies over anecdotal stories every time. The internet is filled with all sorts of hype and fairy tales and downright lies. Life is too short to pay much attention to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-02-10), Imnapl (07-05-10)
Old 07-02-10, 10:38 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

i have been on ritalin on/off went to adderall then back to ritalin. healthy, energetic, focused, motivated, great career, tested every six months. no worries.

sometimes i feel that ritalin was made for me.

if he/she has health problem while taking ritalin. stop taking it. if the health problems stop then ritalin is the reason. if not, then it is not. but ritalin is not a killer.

many people kill but not all. should we eliminate the entire population to make sure that the killers are gone?

alcohol and cigarettes kill more people than anything else. yet, they are available everywhere and we pay tax on them. i dont think many people have alcohol or nicotine "defficiency" to go see Dr. Jack Daniels

plus alcohol or cigs have no significant benefit. people can live without it with no problems.

but stims can benefit many people, I am included. abusers or addicts will not be stopped by banning this stuff. they will get high on the smell of their socks if they have to to chase that high. by banning ritalin or stims, you care about the health and well being of junkies first where they dont give a ...about themselves and ignoring the addhers who want to improve their lives not destroy it like the junkies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
Possum (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 10:47 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,068 Times in 7,049 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the strong feelings here. As a long-time GAD sufferer I get very mad at all the negative opinions out there wrt benzo's, they are addictive & blah blah.. frankly I don't care that they are, I'd rather be addicted to a milligram of clonazepam a day (or even more if I develop a tolerance) than suffer the debilitating anxiety and depression I go through without it.

On the other hand, let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume s/he is just trying to figure things out, is concerned about his/her prescription, whatever. There's no evidence* to suggest that s/he is a troll or someone with some sort of nefarious agenda, despite the numerous similar posts. Maybe just aa bit anxious?
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Possum (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 12:37 PM

Thanked 10,370 Times in 3,276 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
On the other hand, let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume s/he is just trying to figure things out, is concerned about his/her prescription, whatever. There's no evidence* to suggest that s/he is a troll or someone with some sort of nefarious agenda, despite the numerous similar posts. Maybe just aa bit anxious?
Looking on the everydayhealth.com site, this is my reaction.

After seeing hundreds of this kind of screed claiming that the stimulants, especially Ritalin, are the epitome of all pharmaceutical things evil, one grows jaded and quite suspicious of the writer's intent and honesty.

The letter itself is primarily composed of argument by bold type, underlining and capslock. All that is missing are multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!

Also, the letter appears to be from http://www.net4truthusa.com/ritalindanger.htm
which is a Scientology site starring the always creditable Peter R. Breggin MD.

Not that any Scientologist would make this kind of thing up mind you, but forgive me if I have to go with a long history of deceit and deception and allow myself cynicism.

For those not familiar with these types of sites link to this one. It is fairly typical of this kind of bilge. Look and make your own judgment.

We get the Scientology types here from time to time and usually just listing a site and not discussing. Drive by posters if you would. I am not going to speculate on the OP, but I would be nice to get some insight into the motivation for the post.

If the OP wants to discuss, please be welcome to the forum. If not, I will let others comment.

I hope the OP is serious about wanting to learn and discuss, we shall see.

Dizfriz
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-02-10), Imnapl (07-05-10), Josh_kelly (07-02-10), Lunacie (07-02-10), Marspider (07-19-10)
Old 07-02-10, 01:08 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

i knew it. i knew that this was some sort of organization that is trying to spread a message but i gave her the benefit of the doubt.

scientology is a religion made up by a Hollywood producer or director specialized in science "fiction".

fiction. my question what kinda of drug are these people on to believe in someone who his only job is writing fiction. or tom cruise is really that good looking? the better the actor the better you believe him when its just a movies. and everything else is just a show.

i see tom cruise on shows saying its all in your head and drugs are fake useless and companies trying to make money.
where he him self gets paid act and to lie. to make you believe in something that is not there. movies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-05-10)
Old 07-02-10, 02:03 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 22,862 Times in 10,273 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note:

this thread has been edited to comply with guidelines. it remains closed given that the original poster's question has been fully explored.

nevertheless, please feel free to familiarize yourselves with our guidelines, particularly those on forum etiquette:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/anno....php?f=75&a=90

Last edited by peripatetic; 07-02-10 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: updated note after thread review
Closed Thread