ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-10, 08:16 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,881 Times in 9,240 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Not diagnosed, but I have very strong suspicions

This past couple of weeks, some bloggers I read posted about ADD (although I don't read any of them because of ADD stuff) and said some things that were rather painfully familiar.

At first, I was pretty skeptical, because I didn't really know what ADD was, and didn't really think that this could apply to me. But, it kept tugging at my brain and I finally started doing more research and taking the ADHD quiz at Psych Central and scored pretty high. I took it just now and scored 76. I do realize it's not a diagnosis, but it's one of a mountain of things that this point.

I also picked a friend's brain (who does have an ADD diagnosis) and she said that I could be describing her life.

... okay, so five minutes later! Back to this post.

Stuff that really stands out for me right now is that I am unable to keep my space tidy. When I try to clean up, I almost always end up finding something fascinating and reading the book or watching the movie or going back to check my e-mail, or just about anything other than staying focused on the chore. The only time I can really mobilize myself to get everything done is when I have a time limit.

Or something like - my satellite TV box died about a month ago (maybe longer, I don't know, I hadn't watched much TV for a month or two before that) and I had to get it replaced. That part was easy, as someone else made that call. Once the new box arrived, I had to call to reactivate it. I'm sure I'll get that box reactivated in time for the next episode of True Blood. maybe. That's what I said last week and two weeks ago, too, and by then I'd already had it for two week. I do this kind of thing all too frequently.

I've had trouble staying in school when going to college, I was completely unable to excel academically in high school, but scored in the top 1% when I got my GED. I could sustain good grades for one semester, and then I just couldn't maintain interest. Like one semester of classes was brilliant and new, but the second semester would always hit me with more of the same, or change my routine in unpleasant (to me) ways and I'd end up not making it to class.

When I was most active and making the most money (as a writer) I was taking ephedra. I originally started taking it for weight loss, but I found that I could focus on one thing at a time and finish anything I started. It was amazing. Except over time the side effects drove me out of my mind and I stopped taking it. And also, my anxiety disorder (diagnosed a few years earlier, but I didn't keep up treatment) came to a full-blown head due to other reasons.

My main concern is finding someone who can give me a diagnosis (whether it's ADD or not) and treatment. Right now I am not insured, and the clinic I have access to doesn't seem particularly interested or educated on the topic.

I've been reading posts here, and the sense of familiarity from so many other people's stories is incredible. I'm glad I found this forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
ccrose (02-10-11), meridian (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 09:54 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not diagnosed, but I have very strong suspicions

Hi and welcome to the forums,

I scored a 73 on that test you mentioned.

The US is really a bad place to be unemployed, isn't it?

I live in a 3rd world country, and at the clinics even though the doctors are idiots, at least they give you good medication.

And in any case, the private doctors are idiots too, they just make more money, and give you the same medications.

Back to your original question - I cant really help - Im new to this too. You'll just have to wait till someone in the know comes along and helps.

There's a lot of such people here

All the best.

Last edited by Abi; 07-02-10 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 09:56 AM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the US is bad to be unemployed in right now. It was hard enough for me to get and hold a job before the economy started tanking. The lack of access to reasonable health insurance. Or in my case, any health insurance - the last time I checked the state plan had a huge waiting list, and applying requires steps I seem to consistently fail at taking. Really, it's the horrible health care.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-10, 10:03 AM
I eat shades of red.

I don't mean to compare conditions in the US to other countries - I really don't know and can't say about those. Just comparing the gap between employment and unemployment in the US.

The clinic I can go to is mostly charity funded, so they're kind of beholden to their benefactors' agenda, whatever that is. I know I was dropped from their charity plan before as soon as I got diagnosed with a relatively mild health condition a couple of years ago.
Old 07-02-10, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Fortune, welcome to the Forums. Hope you find useful and helpful information here.

MODERATOR NOTE

Just a reminder to please keep on topic and not stray into a political discussion, which is not allowed under the Forum Guidelines.

BANNED TOPICS includes
• Politics

The Forum Guidelines are here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842

Thanks.

Fortune, your experience sounds a lot like my own, cable boxes and all!

The history of inconsistent performance was/is very wearing on me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 11:03 AM
I eat shades of red.

Sorry, I didn't realize that would be political.

Thanks for the welcome.

Also: I should get my box hooked up right now, but I can already tell you it won't happen. Maybe Monday. True Blood's skipping a week anyway.

Another really frustrating thing is that I have a really hard time keeping up with friends. I just sort of slip out of contact when I don't see them regularly. I know people in their 50s, 60s, who still talk to people they knew in high school and I barely talk to anyone I've known for longer than three years at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Bezuidenthustra (02-02-11), meridian (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 11:11 AM

meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize that would be political.

Thanks for the welcome.
No worries, just wanted to prevent things from going astray!

Yeah keeping up with friends has always been difficult. Facebook makes it a bit easier.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Old 07-02-10, 11:14 AM
I eat shades of red.

Ooh, Facebook. My sister wants me to play Farmville or Frontierville and I just know that'll be a trap for me. If I get sucked in I don't know when I'll get out.
Old 07-02-10, 11:21 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,719 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Meridian: Apologies for Politics

Fortune: The warning wasnt so much for you as it was for me.

Meridian: Why not have a politics sub-forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
meridian (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi2010 View Post
Meridian: Apologies for Politics

Fortune: The warning wasnt so much for you as it was for me.

Meridian: Why not have a politics sub-forum?
There is a Debates forum where folks are encouraged to talk about whatever!

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=277

PM meadd823 for the password

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Abi (07-02-10), peripatetic (07-02-10)
Old 07-02-10, 04:40 PM

doozerpindan is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum! I took the test and scored 92, hehe! XD
Old 07-02-10, 07:27 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanks!

I was just reminded of something else I meant to post:

Instructions can shut me down. I'll read a list of steps and my brain just stops processing them like it's white noise. I can sometimes go back and take them in smaller chunks and be fine, but not always.

Also: If someone starts asking me to do a list of things all at once I usually end up not remembering any of it, and I find the listing itself pretty stressful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
meridian (07-03-10)
Old 07-05-10, 10:57 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Instructions are seriously difficult, mostly because people don'tknow how to write/give them. I have always thought I should get hired to write instructions because they are always written so badly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-06-10), meridian (07-06-10)
Old 07-06-10, 12:47 AM
I eat shades of red.

Oh, I agree with that. Most instructions are terrible, and it seems like each step often assumes a series of intermediary steps that I'm expected to intuitively know.
Old 07-06-10, 10:41 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to behold

I would take the test, but I already know where I stand in a DSM-IV-TR diagnosis.

Welcome.

Even as a psych student, I would feel comfortable dx'ing you as ADHD (primarily inattentive) from the short history you provided. However, I have no degree or licence so I can't actually diagnose you, in addition to never meeting you in person and having a formal assessment.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

The Following User Says Thank You to PickMeUpRoadie For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-07-10)