ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-10, 01:19 PM
LLP1022 LLP1022 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LLP1022 is on a distinguished road
what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

I take concerta early every morning and by 4 or 5pm I start getting the intense headaches and extreme irritability. I make sure I eat on a proper schedule but it does not completely help my side effects. I hate feeling irritable and the headaches are horrible. It is effecting my relationships with my family and boyfriend...please let me know if anyone has any special remedies to relieve these symptoms.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-10, 01:27 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 13,168
Thanks: 9,368
Thanked 16,023 Times in 7,557 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

It would help to know how long you've been taking the Concerta. Sometimes side effects diminish over time.

You should talk to your doctor about this. S/he may want to switch you to a different dose, a different med, or add another medication to help lessen the side effects of the Concerta.
__________________
As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-10, 07:57 PM
smartestblonde smartestblonde is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 64
Thanks: 5
Thanked 35 Times in 22 Posts
smartestblonde is on a distinguished road
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

Irritability is my main issue, but I have since been dx with a mild mood disorder in addition to ADHD....I could not take Concerta at first, but once my shrink added 5 mg of Abilify to my 10 mg of Lexapro, I am now on 54 mg of Concerta and am actually upping my dose to 72 mg starting tomorrow.

If the Concerta is making you more irritable, it *could* be a sign that there's something else going on.....for those that have any elements of bipolar, it can make you more manic, but only a professional will be able to manage this for you.

Good luck....the irritability is the most damaging on relationships IMO! I know feel great and my mood is wonderful :-)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 07-08-10, 12:27 AM
Hearty Soul's Avatar
Hearty Soul Hearty Soul is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: somewhere
Posts: 385
Thanks: 432
Thanked 292 Times in 177 Posts
Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestblonde View Post
Irritability is my main issue, but I have since been dx with a mild mood disorder in addition to ADHD....I could not take Concerta at first, but once my shrink added 5 mg of Abilify to my 10 mg of Lexapro, I am now on 54 mg of Concerta and am actually upping my dose to 72 mg starting tomorrow.

If the Concerta is making you more irritable, it *could* be a sign that there's something else going on.....for those that have any elements of bipolar, it can make you more manic, but only a professional will be able to manage this for you.

Good luck....the irritability is the most damaging on relationships IMO! I know feel great and my mood is wonderful :-)

The higher the dose is, the less tolerant I become to any frustration. It is awful

My psychiatrist asked me to learn to handle it!!

I discussed this with my PCP and he recommended I take 10 mg Prozac, which alleviates irritation in women who cannot go on hormone replacement.

Before I saw my PCP, I used to take .025mg of xanax when I wanted to be in control of my nerves.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-10, 11:01 AM
String's Avatar
String String is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: U.S.
Posts: 745
Thanks: 560
Thanked 846 Times in 410 Posts
String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

I felt the same when I started Concerta. I would get irritable and extremely tired in the early evening or late afternoon, right around 5 or 6 pm.

I asked my doctor about adding some IR formula before the Concerta wore off. It's helped me tremendously. I don't think I could have stuck with Concerta without it. I now take 10mg IR around 5 pm. I still get irritable and tired sometimes, but it's usually not until 9 or 10 pm, and that's a much better time to get tired.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-10, 01:50 PM
dusty1 dusty1 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 97
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 42
Thanked 54 Times in 34 Posts
dusty1 will become famous soon enough
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita View Post
The higher the dose is, the less tolerant I become to any frustration. It is awful

My psychiatrist asked me to learn to handle it!!

I discussed this with my PCP and he recommended I take 10 mg Prozac, which alleviates irritation in women who cannot go on hormone replacement.

Before I saw my PCP, I used to take .025mg of xanax when I wanted to be in control of my nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
I felt the same when I started Concerta. I would get irritable and extremely tired in the early evening or late afternoon, right around 5 or 6 pm.

I asked my doctor about adding some IR formula before the Concerta wore off. It's helped me tremendously. I don't think I could have stuck with Concerta without it. I now take 10mg IR around 5 pm. I still get irritable and tired sometimes, but it's usually not until 9 or 10 pm, and that's a much better time to get tired.
agg..I should have searched first - I am like a freaking ***** on wheels right now - it HAS to be the concerta. Yesterday it was only after it wore off, but today it's been all day. I simply can't go on like this. I feel like I could kill the next person that talks to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concerta and Anxiety emtchick Concerta 5 05-02-11 11:24 PM
Help! Concerta and Panic Attacks Anyone else have this? Kainenable Concerta 11 05-02-11 10:53 PM
First day on concerta 36mg, was on vyvanse blacktiestudios Concerta 3 02-27-09 01:24 PM
72 mg of Concerta for a Child Davesings Concerta 4 11-19-08 05:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums