ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 07-07-10, 01:19 PM

LLP1022 is on a distinguished road
what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

I take concerta early every morning and by 4 or 5pm I start getting the intense headaches and extreme irritability. I make sure I eat on a proper schedule but it does not completely help my side effects. I hate feeling irritable and the headaches are horrible. It is effecting my relationships with my family and boyfriend...please let me know if anyone has any special remedies to relieve these symptoms.
Old 07-07-10, 01:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,023 Times in 7,557 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what can help my irritability on concerta 36mg?

It would help to know how long you've been taking the Concerta. Sometimes side effects diminish over time.

You should talk to your doctor about this. S/he may want to switch you to a different dose, a different med, or add another medication to help lessen the side effects of the Concerta.
Old 07-07-10, 07:57 PM

smartestblonde is on a distinguished road

Irritability is my main issue, but I have since been dx with a mild mood disorder in addition to ADHD....I could not take Concerta at first, but once my shrink added 5 mg of Abilify to my 10 mg of Lexapro, I am now on 54 mg of Concerta and am actually upping my dose to 72 mg starting tomorrow.

If the Concerta is making you more irritable, it *could* be a sign that there's something else going on.....for those that have any elements of bipolar, it can make you more manic, but only a professional will be able to manage this for you.

Good luck....the irritability is the most damaging on relationships IMO! I know feel great and my mood is wonderful :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 12:27 AM
Contributor

Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestblonde View Post
Irritability is my main issue, but I have since been dx with a mild mood disorder in addition to ADHD....I could not take Concerta at first, but once my shrink added 5 mg of Abilify to my 10 mg of Lexapro, I am now on 54 mg of Concerta and am actually upping my dose to 72 mg starting tomorrow.

If the Concerta is making you more irritable, it *could* be a sign that there's something else going on.....for those that have any elements of bipolar, it can make you more manic, but only a professional will be able to manage this for you.

Good luck....the irritability is the most damaging on relationships IMO! I know feel great and my mood is wonderful :-)

The higher the dose is, the less tolerant I become to any frustration. It is awful

My psychiatrist asked me to learn to handle it!!

I discussed this with my PCP and he recommended I take 10 mg Prozac, which alleviates irritation in women who cannot go on hormone replacement.

Before I saw my PCP, I used to take .025mg of xanax when I wanted to be in control of my nerves.
Old 07-08-10, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

I felt the same when I started Concerta. I would get irritable and extremely tired in the early evening or late afternoon, right around 5 or 6 pm.

I asked my doctor about adding some IR formula before the Concerta wore off. It's helped me tremendously. I don't think I could have stuck with Concerta without it. I now take 10mg IR around 5 pm. I still get irritable and tired sometimes, but it's usually not until 9 or 10 pm, and that's a much better time to get tired.
Old 09-11-10, 01:50 PM

dusty1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita View Post
The higher the dose is, the less tolerant I become to any frustration. It is awful

My psychiatrist asked me to learn to handle it!!

I discussed this with my PCP and he recommended I take 10 mg Prozac, which alleviates irritation in women who cannot go on hormone replacement.

Before I saw my PCP, I used to take .025mg of xanax when I wanted to be in control of my nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
I felt the same when I started Concerta. I would get irritable and extremely tired in the early evening or late afternoon, right around 5 or 6 pm.

I asked my doctor about adding some IR formula before the Concerta wore off. It's helped me tremendously. I don't think I could have stuck with Concerta without it. I now take 10mg IR around 5 pm. I still get irritable and tired sometimes, but it's usually not until 9 or 10 pm, and that's a much better time to get tired.
agg..I should have searched first - I am like a freaking ***** on wheels right now - it HAS to be the concerta. Yesterday it was only after it wore off, but today it's been all day. I simply can't go on like this. I feel like I could kill the next person that talks to me.