ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-10, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future
Examples of procrastination

This is really embarrassing but here is one of my latest examples.

Our fridge quit working in January. We had a tiny bar fridge that my husband put on the kitchen counter for us to use in the meantime. I drink skim milk and everyone else drinks 2% and it would only hold one container of milk - so for the last six months I have not had my favorite beverage available and no room for more than the bare minimum of basic groceries or leftovers!

My mother said buy a new fridge, my friends said buy a new fridge, I said no it's built-in and I want to see if we can repair it.

Everyone said: call the repairman. Um yes, great idea but the house is too messy. Husband says he'll look at it - he did fix it the last time.

So anyway, 6 months later the teeny, tiny bar fridge which takes up half my counter space decides to quit working.

For three days we have been using a cooler for the milk and a few other things. I kept putting the milk into the freezer to get it partially frozen and then putting it back into the cooler to keep the few other things cold.

Yesterday, my husband called me to say he was going to buy a new fridge. I said no, you need measurements and stuff. He said fine, he would buy an extra fridge for the mudroom and we could use it during fruit season.

Of course he came home without having purchased anything but had the number for a repairman. He called and left a message.

This morning he gave me the number as he left the house. I called and left a second message - I know the repairman.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you view it, the guys showed up to fix the fridge about an hour later without calling! I am of course totally humiliated because the house looks like a tornado hit it. Thank God it's fruit fly season because that at least motivated someone to throw the garbage out last night.

Good news was they fixed it for $100.

So after six months fridge is finally working, house is still messy and little bar fridge can go to the dump.

What are some of the things you procrastinate about?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), Fortune (07-09-10), meridian (07-09-10)
Old 07-09-10, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura aboutCrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura about
Re: Examples of procrastination

Laundry. I've neglected to wash darks for six months or so. This morning, I got off on my husbands side of the bed and "skied down it". I'm sure my brain damage didn't do anything to improve the situation.
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-09-10), meridian (07-09-10)
Old 07-09-10, 06:35 PM
Contributor

Tabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to all

unless there is some sort of major, immediate gratification, I procrastinate on everything.

Example - I've been upstairs for about 3 hours now, wanted to get a drink, but putting off going downstairs.

Dx at 38: ADD w/depression, anxiety & severe sense of humor
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tabbycat For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-09-10), meridian (07-09-10), ronball (07-09-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 08:12 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Angora, that's a great story!

Oh I procrastinate about many many many things. I just hope they don 't have teeth when they come back to bite me!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-09-10), Fortune (07-09-10), ronball (07-09-10)
Old 07-09-10, 08:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Angora, that's a great story!

Oh I procrastinate about many many many things. I just hope they don 't have teeth when they come back to bite me!
Thanks. It a good thing my husband was involved though. My suggested solution to the problem was to move to our trailer at the lake - it's hot out, the trailer is clean and tidy (cause we have not been there for awhile) and it has a large fridge that works!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), meridian (07-09-10), OnlyMe (07-12-10), ronball (07-09-10)
Old 07-09-10, 09:45 PM

ramennoodles is on a distinguished road

I procrastinate a lot before the diagnosis, and I think my problem has improved quite a bit now, but still I procrastinate on a number of things, especially doing laundry. I just can't get myself motivated to get a bag of dirty clothes tossing it into a washing machine across the hallway in the apartment complex. Perhaps I will do it tomorrow
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-12-10)
Old 07-09-10, 10:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

yea, i wont even move into a building anymore if it doesnt have laundry facilities in my apartment. Ive gone almost 3 months before without doing laundry. Kinda gross.

lol....

but yea, like what has been already said: I'll procrastinate on anything if there's no immediate return, and by that i mean reward. What's the point of emptying the dishwasher if it's just going to fill up again? why take out the garbage now, when if I REALLY stuff more stuff in there, i'm saving myself 1 garbage bag down the line. etc etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronball For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-10, 10:40 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

I do laundry on a daily basis almost. Once a day to wash the clothes from the day before. That way I'm almost always caught up, minus the clothes me and boys are wearing. That being said, washing clothes daily is a far cry from folding clothes daily. Got about a weeks worth of laundry needing folding as we speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DADHD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-10, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Fridge stories ? we're telling fridge stories ?.....long ago and far away, I lived in a small cottage, built by midgets with a sense of humour and they did'nt use any levels t-squares, rulers, plumbobs .....nuffin .....If you started at one end of the house, by the time you were at the other, you were running, as it slanted downward noticebly....

.....Now, the kitchen had a slanted ceiling, and what with the cupboards built in on one side, the sink and more cupboards on another, and big windows that met in the corner on the outside corner of the room, with the stove taking up the 4th wall, there was no room for a fridge, so ....it went in the second bedroom which I had turned into my darkroom ......

....the fridge sat just inside the doorway ( no actual door there) and I could lean in from the kitched, open the door and just throw things in the fridge, so I did .......

.....Now at what was to be the start of a horrendous period of my life, I found out I was pregnant, 6 months pregnant...( how's that for being in touch with your body !?) .....anyway, long about this time, I had stopped cleaning the fridge, and was keeping stuff in a cooler in the kitchen .......( back while I was still using the fridge, I kept a baseball bat beside it, to protect myself ! lord knows what sort of scientific experiment was becoming viable and mean )

......and it was my friend Jo who cleaned it out for me in the 2 weeks I was on the couch after a C'section......bless her lil heart !.....

....that was the worst I ever let it get. I really hate doing floors and cleaning the fridge......laundry I do by hand as I won't use a public laundrymat....eeeewwww....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-12-10), meridian (07-09-10)
Old 07-09-10, 11:03 PM

Thanked 3,258 Times in 1,845 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Should i sleep on the couch or sneak into the bed.........
Old 07-10-10, 12:20 AM

aarong811 is on a distinguished road

I applied to grad school for a masters in education in February. Didn't get my letters of reference in until late April. Just never got around to asking for them, ended up being late for the summer deadline session which sucked. I wanted to start as soon as possible but not starting until August due to the procrastination. At least I finally got around to getting everything in. Feels good but just frustrated that I push things off with the "I'll do it another day" excuse.
Old 07-10-10, 04:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

tomlinson has a spectacular aura abouttomlinson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
unless there is some sort of major, immediate gratification, I procrastinate on everything.
Same here - unless there is something I that really feel is an absolute necessity, or something that carries with it the promise of
immediate gratification, I just don't do many things that most people do as a matter of course.

However, I don't necessarily consider this behavior to be procrastination.
It's something different - I'm not sure what I'd call it.

Because it's due to a clinical, neurochemical condition.

Also, I devote a great deal of time and energy every day working to manage and overcome this condition.
As I guess many of us do.

And, partially because dealing with it takes so much energy and time, I simply have less energy and time to do other things that are not as important to me.

It's a matter of prioritization in many ways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomlinson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-10, 04:39 AM

Thanked 7,531 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

oooo here's another good one, I got home to California in ....April, and my car is still in storage !.....I am getting it out Tues though ....I hope ....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
angora (07-12-10)
Old 07-10-10, 04:45 AM
Jr Member

Peter Pan will become famous soon enough

I procrastinate about two things that I find so boring. 1. Going to the toilet. 2. Putting petrol in the car.
I end up having to do both when there is no other options left. I also procrastinate about eating, and in the end skip a lot of meals. Oh, and going to bed. so don't sleep much either.
Old 07-10-10, 07:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

I've got a great list of things I procrastinate about.

I'll post it later.
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), angora (07-12-10), novagal (07-10-10), Pamplemousse (07-11-10), salleh (07-10-10)