ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-10, 05:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

agirlandherdogs will become famous soon enough
Unhappy ADHD-what is it like?

well, I know what it is like, all too well, I was diagnosed in 1983! I am searching for something to share with my family so they can understand what it is iike for me. There have been so many situations lately both within my control and outside of my control that have piled up and left me overwhelmed and at my wits end. I am not looking for the humorous stuff, I am looking for something serious that will make them understand what it is like for "us"
I went from being so motivated and having hyperfocus to not being able to even think about what needs to be done. In order for one thing to be done so many other things need to be first --
my depression has deepened / worsened but the medicine I'm on can't be raised (heart issues) I'm on Adderall and Celexa - it's a day by day feeling if the meds work / don't work.
I've had a string of bad luck lately
right now I've given up, yes, I've thought about giving up all together but I'm afraid I'd fail at that too and have to face all of the issues that I'm running from anyway. I say that in jest, knowing that what I really want is help to get things back on track, which selfishly means having my family lift some of these responsibilities off of me for a bit, help me get my house organized again, help me follow up on the things I need to do.

Anyone have any leads for something useful I can give to my family to understand. This family is my parents, I live alone which is part of the problem, I can hide from the real issues of my life, when I go outside it's all hidden what I'm truly fighting.

thank you!
Amy
Old 07-13-10, 05:22 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,206 Times in 9,399 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD-what is it like?

I found this helpful. The same author wrote this on tumblr if your family won't react well to a feminist blog.

The Feministe site is itself fairly political, but that post is written by an ADHDer describing the what it's like for her to live with ADHD, and I don't think it's so much political as, well, what it is.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-13-10), agirlandherdogs (07-13-10), Amtram (07-13-10), angora (07-13-10), CircularingCats (07-14-10), dinger70 (07-13-10), ginniebean (07-15-10), Juice (07-14-10), SB_UK (07-14-10)
Old 07-13-10, 07:19 AM

Birdcrazy is on a distinguished road

I should show that to my aunt even though I'm not as severe as the person that wrote that, I've developed lots of coping mechanisms, though I was more like that as a kid.

Official DX: Schizoaffective
Kid DX: ADHD, Severely Emotionally Impaired
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birdcrazy For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-13-10), ginniebean (07-15-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-10, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,350 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

ok, I wannna know how that girl got into my head !????

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-13-10), ginniebean (07-15-10), SB_UK (07-14-10)
Old 07-13-10, 08:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

dinger70 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
I found this helpful. The same author wrote this on tumblr if your family won't react well to a feminist blog.

The Feministe site is itself fairly political, but that post is written by an ADHDer describing the what it's like for her to live with ADHD, and I don't think it's so much political as, well, what it is.

I like the author of the first blog already and I've only read the first couple of paragraphs. Maybe we should send the link to Peter Gray's article?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dinger70 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-13-10), Amtram (07-13-10), angora (07-13-10), ginniebean (07-15-10), SB_UK (07-14-10)
Old 07-13-10, 07:09 PM

Thanked 13,648 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Dinger, Dinger, Dinger...

tsk, tsk.

We try to discourage cross forum stuff.

(((hugs))) because I understand exactly where that came from.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (07-15-10)
Old 07-13-10, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

My bad! Don't hit me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinger70 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-13-10), ginniebean (07-15-10)
Old 07-13-10, 08:46 PM

Thanked 17,522 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, if you just happen to post the link because you're commenting on her blog post, it doesn't really count, does it? Just in case, use a different handle and don't mention ADDF.
Old 07-13-10, 09:02 PM

Thanked 13,648 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger70 View Post
My bad! Don't hit me!
I never hit, Ding. I bounce.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
dinger70 (07-14-10)
Old 07-13-10, 09:26 PM

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

hi agirl!

I think PBS Misunderstood Minds is a great place for people to experience what it's like to be ADHD.

Click on the link I gave you, then do the activities in "Experience Firsthand" (visual, auditory and attention). People will experience something similar to what it's like in our heads, it's pretty neat.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
dinger70 (07-14-10), ginniebean (07-15-10), Lv2sleep (07-13-10), meridian (07-15-10)
Old 07-13-10, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

I was just thinking about this the other night, I think it's a bit like never getting more than half the sleep you need. So tired your just spinning in circles trying to get things done but going in too many directions at once.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:
CircularingCats (07-14-10), ginniebean (07-15-10)
Old 07-13-10, 09:48 PM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

For me it is like drowning in a sea of information and you don't know how to swim. Medication is the life preserver.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
dinger70 (07-14-10), Lv2sleep (07-13-10)
Old 07-14-10, 09:02 AM
Contributor

Krys. is a jewel in the roughKrys. is a jewel in the roughKrys. is a jewel in the rough

I suggest checking this out: http://addmoms.com/2010/07/06/understanding-adhd/ I don't know if it will help but she does make some good points...
Krys.

"Circumstances do not make a man, they reveal him"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krys. For This Useful Post:
dinger70 (07-14-10), Fortune (07-14-10)
Old 07-14-10, 09:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
I never hit, Ding. I bounce.
Me too, all the time!

I won't put my own comments on the topic, though, because I think everyone else has covered it pretty well. It's different for each person, of course, but I think they covered the overall feeling very well. Also, the links that were posted give a lot of good insight as well, in my opinion.
Old 07-14-10, 04:46 PM

Thanked 6,509 Times in 4,753 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post

Great post.

That's what it's like.

Would maybe add something about no ability to remember when in the past things happened - perhaps more generally a weak memory of past events which might be because I wasn't really 'there' at the time
-- zoning out is preferable to being 'there' -
I wonder whether our tendency to daydream wipes out our memory of events because there's nothing firmly there, to recollect.

Greater problems learning information which we're not interested in - or maybe just learning information.
-- relative to NonADD

More attracted to working things out, intuitive methods - learning by doing, doing for ourselves.
--ADD advantages.

From previously - we take longer to learn better.
(as long as we're interested in the subject matter)