ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-10, 10:47 AM

dseaburg is on a distinguished road
Prozac, Adderall, Trazodone

In September 09 I was switched from Effexor to a combination of Prozac 20 mg. and Adderall 20 mg. I also take Trazodone 75 mg. and Armour Thyroid 120.

Almost immedately I developed a hand tremor and started losing weight.

Currently I am down to 117 lbs. and still losing weight. I have decided to wean myself off the Prozac and then off the Adderall to see if I can gain weight and lose the hand tremor.

Is my thinking correct? All of my doctors say that the hand tremor is not related to the meds, however, it started when I was put on those meds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-10, 08:58 PM
Jr Member

embrodak is on a distinguished road
Re: Prozac, Adderall, Trazodone

Whoa. For one thing, the Adderall by itself has a small probability to cause tremors, and your doctor should know that. I just did a quick drug interaction search and tremors were a serious side effect between any two of those drugs. You should get a second opinion or at the very least talk to the pharmacist where you pick up your drugs. I wouldn't trust the internet more than a couple of doctors, but I would trust it more than just one (trust me, I teach pre-meds).

Drug interaction website: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
Old 08-21-10, 09:33 PM

JKFBZ is on a distinguished road

I had to quit taking Prozac w/ Adderall because it gave me tics. I'm not surprised about your hand tremor. I would talk to your doctor about trailing off one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-10, 02:26 PM
Jr Member

Naya is on a distinguished road

Prozac had terrible side effects for me. Definitely talk to your doctor.
Old 08-28-10, 11:54 PM

flying mind will become famous soon enough

^^

I had an awful time mixing Prozac with Dexedrine.

Prozac and amphetamine based medications simply do not mix, well at least for me and a bunch of other folks.

Dr. Parker puts it quite beautifully...

Quote:
"The amphetamines all come up through this one pipe, the 2D6 pipe
[the CYP450 2D6 pipe]. Prozac and Paxil significantly block that specific pipe [and others]."

"Most characteristic is the feeling of great overfocus
for short periods, getting almost too much done, and then it’s as if the lights go out."

"Can’t think, can’t complete sentences. Cognitive abilities are worse! Let’s see, what should we do? Use more amphetamines? No, just change the antidepressant." -

"If you take either of these two antidepressants together with an amphetamine, just watch out. You can significantly become overdosed on the amphetamine. Often the interaction can unpredictably occur several months later. The patient becomes toxic to the amphetamine, angry, irrational, can’t sleep, can’t eat, and can become dangerously destructive. The Adderall often gets blamed. The Prozac and Paxil are the problem."

- Dr. Charles Parker
I can relate to everything Mr. Parker says here. Indeed there were manic like moments when I actually felt the Dexedrine, these instances were usually short lasting and extremely counterproductive due to the intensity of feeling "too speedy".

Moreover, since off the Prozac I can actually notice the Dexedrine helping me. Before I could take as much as 20mg ER of Dexedrine and feel nothing, nada (not even peripheral stimulation!). Like a damn sugar pill! Then out of nowhere, as described above, there were times when a regular dose hit me like a hurricane.

I'm not alone. Just a few mins of searching provided me with several people complaining of similar instances whereas the Prozac prevents any benefit from Amphetamine medication:

I highlighted the notable portions...

[quote]
Quote:

Gigi
Ann74
05-16-06, 09:35 PM
Galaxy Girl, You are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped taking prozac, and my adderall is working again. It took a few days though. I'm going to see if my doctor will let me try wellbutrin. I was taking 15 mgs of IR a day, and when I started the prozac I could take up to 40 mgs of adderall and still feel nothing. Life is back to normal now. However, I am dealing with the withdraw effects of the prozac.

-------

Hi everyone. Im 22 and i suffer from depression, generalized anxiety disorder,and social phobia. I currently take 1 xanax(.25mg), 40mg of generic prozac, 1 wellbutrin(300mg) and as of yesterday 1 adderall(20mg) has been added to the mix. In all im taking 5 pills every morning along with 2 xanaxs at night. I would like to know if any of these other meds will damper the effects of the adderall? I have absolute zero motivation and i feel lethargic. Im sure the anti depressants arent working but im kinda intimidated by my doctor. Will the adderall help me become more focused and get more pep in my step or will it just give me a jolt? He said to take one pill but if needed i can take 1 plus a half of one. Exam week is coming up in 2 weeks will adderall give me the focus factor?
I really want to get away from all of the meds and just stick to one or 2 but i dont really know how to tell my doc. He knows whats best i suppose.

------

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:39 AM
I've been lurking for a few days and looked for a thread containing this info but I haven't found one.

I take generic adderall 10mg a.m. and occasionally in the afternoon for AD/HD inattentive type.
I recently added fluoxetine 10mg (still playing with time of day) then upped it to 20mg.

My question is this...has anyone else noticed the fluoxetine decreasing the effect of the Adderall?
I noticed it immediately.

I have a dr's appt in about 45 minutes & I'm not sure what to ask for? An increase in my Adderall?

I'm a mess without it's effects

I appreciate greatly any responses (in advance because I'll forget later)

-----

Jeff May 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM This is a real eye opener. I have been suspicious of my prozac/adderall combo almost from the start. You mentioned celexa and lexapro as alternatives, if i remember correctly. Would you think favorably of using cymbalta with adderall? This is a med my doctor likes for me. Does zoloft play well with adderall? Mainly, though, im interested in cymbalta.
Do anti histaminic meds such as low dose seroquel (25mg) or desipramine interfere with adderall? I only take the sero for sleep, but instinct tells me it may interact. The desipramine was mentioned by pdoc for depression; but i’m aware it hits histamine receptors rather weakly. My pdoc believes it a potent antidepressant.
Thank you very much.
Jeff
As you can see Prozac greatly if not totally prevents Dexedrine/Adderall (or what have you) from even working.

Even if it does somehow work it maybe potentially very dangerous combination as Dr. Parker explained above.

However, it should be noted that Concerta, Ritalin, Focalin and any other non-amphetamine medication is probably completely safe and effective with Prozac or Paxil.

So in conclusion, at least for me, Prozac (and probably Paxil) are the absolute worst antidepressant SSRIs to augment amphetamine-based ADHD medication.