ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-25-10, 12:26 AM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough
How soon to refill?

Does anyone happen to know how soon you can refill a prescription (with insurance coverage)? I'm sure this varies by insurance, but...

My first prescription of Adderall, 10mg IR 3x/day was not effective enough for me, so with the doc's permission I experimented a bit with the dose until our next appointment, which was 2-3 weeks from the previous one.

He wrote me a new prescription for 20mg IR 2x/day, explaining that the 20mg should last longer than 4 hours and so I could space out the dosages more. However, this hasn't been the case...I feel that the 20mg is the right dosage, but feel that I need it 3x/day. Or, if he feels that that is too much, I'm willing to settle for 15mg, but it needs to be for 3x/day. The thing is, if he decides that I can switch to 3x/day, I will be out of pills earlier than expected.

The last time, my insurance covered the prescription because it was at a different dosage, but I'm worried that the pharmacy will give me trouble if I get a new one filled (it hasn't been a month yet, but I believe that some insurances will cover you if 75% of the medication has been used up...meaning, I should be able to get it a week before the month is over)?

And then, are you allowed to get the following re-fill a month from the most recent re-fill date, or do they go by a different schedule?
Old 07-25-10, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How soon to refill?

My insurance was always a stickler about it. It had to be one month exactly or it wouldn't be filled.
Old 07-25-10, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

humandefault is a jewel in the roughhumandefault is a jewel in the roughhumandefault is a jewel in the rough

Same here. I had the same issue, working on the right dosage, but because the prescription was written for a month's worth I had to wait a month to get more. Good luck with getting your medicine though! Hopefully your insurance company isn't as worried about that stuff.

-Mahatma Ghandi-
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-10, 01:26 AM
Modulated

Thanked 6,892 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever reason my previous insurance would dole out 34 capsules of Strattera every 25 days. I still can't figure that one out. Do wanted me to take 60mg 2x a day and insurance basically said sure we'll give you 34 capsules (17 days worth) every 25 days. WTF?

I love hoe they know better than the doctor!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 07-25-10, 04:36 AM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

During my first month on adderall I had a new script every week for 4 weeks in a row.

Always for a different dose mind you.

Never had a problem
Old 07-25-10, 04:39 AM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
For whatever reason my previous insurance would dole out 34 capsules of Strattera every 25 days. I still can't figure that one out. Do wanted me to take 60mg 2x a day and insurance basically said sure we'll give you 34 capsules (17 days worth) every 25 days. WTF?

I love hoe they know better than the doctor!
And seriously! I get my 30 pill scripts for 30 days. Problem occurs with those 7 months that have 31 days...

Oh yea, and because I can't get the new script til a month has fully passed (not the day before...) I typically go to work the day I can fill it completely unmedicated...(no time to fill before work)
Old 07-25-10, 11:40 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

most cases it has to be 30 days if its the same med. some insurance wont even cover a med for the same indication (ritalin and adderall).

they usually give 2-3 days grace period.

best ways to call them.

everybody is going to give you a diff answer here cause pharmacies vary and insurance vary.

if you call and explain before you go to the pharmacy

they might help you and override auto rejection if its less than 30 days. or they would tell you to go the pharmacy and let the pharmacist call them to approve. they might give you a case number to give to the pharmacist and just and verify that its already approved.
Old 07-26-10, 12:52 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about

I can refill 7 days early.
Old 07-26-10, 03:20 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

Most insurances won't refill until exactly 30 days have elapsed. With drugs like Adderall and Ritalin they are usually even more strict because it's Schedule II, at least according to my pharmacist. Even if the insurance says it's okay, sometimes you have to explain why to the pharmacy you're refilling early because of the controlled substances laws -- though certain states may be more strict than others.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
Old 07-26-10, 03:27 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

It shouldn't be a problem to refill if it is something like a dose change. It will be rejected by the automated system if it is the same drug, but a quick call from the pharmacist can override that once he explains that the dosage is different.
Old 07-26-10, 03:29 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaprospekt View Post
Even if the insurance says it's okay, sometimes you have to explain why to the pharmacy you're refilling early because of the controlled substances laws -- though certain states may be more strict than others.
This is how it was in Tennessee. Here in Michigan I can fill a script whenever I want to. I just have to pay cash if the insurance won't cover it.
Old 07-26-10, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,288 Times in 7,697 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnops View Post
And seriously! I get my 30 pill scripts for 30 days. Problem occurs with those 7 months that have 31 days...

Oh yea, and because I can't get the new script til a month has fully passed (not the day before...) I typically go to work the day I can fill it completely unmedicated...(no time to fill before work)
Huh? It's not like you have to get the script filled on the same day of the month each month. You just get it filled every 30 days. So if you started out with the first script being filled on the 8th of the month and that month has 31 days, then next month you'll get it filled on the 7th of the month because it's been 30 days then.

Our pharmacy lets us refill 2 days before the script runs out. If your insurance makes you wait until 30 days exactly have passed - well, that's just nuts. What if the pharmacy is closed for a holiday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADHD View Post
It shouldn't be a problem to refill if it is something like a dose change. It will be rejected by the automated system if it is the same drug, but a quick call from the pharmacist can override that once he explains that the dosage is different.
My granddaughter has state health insurance, but I expect most insurance is similar. If she needs to get her meds early (for instance going away on vacation) the doctor writes a note on the back on the script and the pharmacy can go ahead and fill it early. Some pharmacies will call the doctor instead of making you call the doctor and pick up the note yourself. Hope the OP finds the right dosage and has no problems with the pharmacy or the insurance.