ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-25-10, 04:58 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about
Acids and Vitamin C : Amphetamines vs MPH

The forums are commonly aware that Vitamin C and other urine-acidifying agents speed up the rate at which your body excretes Amphetamines.

Is the same true for Methylphenidate?
Old 07-25-10, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road
Re: Acids and Vitamin C : Amphetamines vs MPH

It is not an issue with methylphenidate and, contrary to popular belief, studies have shown that isolated large doses of vitamin C (1 - 2 g) do not significantly affect urinary pH.
Old 07-25-10, 05:17 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

MPH is immune to pH changes. It has a negligible effect.

with the XR release versions like concerta its even more immune.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-10, 05:42 PM
Contributor

Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough

I found this website:

1. http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/....html#Dni-Supp

Quote:
Finally, animal studies have suggested that magnesium supplements can increase learning and enhance the behavioral response to stimulants.3 For these reasons, the use of magnesium along with amphetamines may enhance the effectiveness of these drugs in the treatment of ADD, but controlled studies of this possibility are needed.
Vitamin C
Ingestion of some types of vitamin C results in acidification of the intestinal contents and thus a decreased absorption of amphetamines.4 Supplements containing vitamin C should be taken an hour before or two hours after taking amphetamines

Unquote.

2. http://health.msn.com/medications/ar...ntid=100060641

"Avoid drinking fruit juices or taking vitamin C at the same time you take amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. These can make your body absorb less of the medicine."

I am not sure how reliable these source can be.
Old 07-25-10, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v63.../4493529a.html

From the abstract:

Fasting urinary pH did not change after 1 g (5.8 0.6 vs. 5.8 0.7) or 2 g vitamin C (5.8 0.8 vs. 5.8 0.7).

Also, the bit about avoiding fruit juice is misleading. Some juices make your urine more alkaline whereas others will (in principle) make it more acidic.
Old 07-25-10, 07:36 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

I agree

dont worry about this vitamin C crap.

I talked about this in detail with references from clinical studies.

vitamin C is not going to change anything.

vitamin C is considered a weak base (opposite of acid) if its in your stomach. Because its nothing compared to the acid in your stomach pH~2. Acid in your stomach eats vitamin C and digest it.

Not because its an acid or a base that will have this effect in your body.

Your stomach is not a beaker with pure water inside you add acid pH goes down or base pH goes up.

above they wrote acidifying AGENT not acid
alkalizing agent not alkaline or base.

agent will cause the effect of acidification but does not have to be an acid. opposite is true.

one study actually found that orange juice actually has an alkalizing effect after being administered to a patient. The link is in one of my early posts.

The only way to actually that vitamin C will have an acidic effect if you drink a whole bag of clinical strength ascorbic acid not a a couple of tablets of vit C. or a glass of orange juice.

Cranberry Juice is a potent natural urinary acidifying agent. Its used for urinary tract infections and pass kidney stones. I have one of these pH test strips (specially made to test urinary and saliva pH) and cranberry juice did make it acidic.

I had two glasses of orange Juice. No effect what so ever.

If you wanna test for your self.

Have 2 glasses of cranberry juice
next day have two glasses of orange juice.

and time when you have to go to pee. cause when the urine is acidified your body gets rid of it (to pass a kidney stone for example).

kidney stone is most calcium carbonate (solid state). when you acidify the urine.

stone dissolves in urine slowly and eventually leaves.

bacteria hates acid and loves mild alkaline conditions. so when you acidify the urine you basically slowly kill them. In acid conditions also, you pee more

so that would give less time for the bacteria to "stick around" in your tract. cause its like a flowing river.

if its alkaline, urine flow is reduced. bacteria will have enough time to make a slime (biofilm) which will glue it your pipes and cause "tract infection"

they can grow on the stone if you have one and eat all the stuff that the stone is collecting while the fluid is moving. stone it self has many minerals that will make the bacteria grow too.

now back to vitamin C and orange juice.

people who made the drug know that we love orange juice, milk,... and its part of our diet. so they took that into consideration. so they assumed that we dont live off water too.

Your diet (if its average) should not make a huge difference with amp absorption.

in the prescribing info for adderall no orange juice is mentioned

only hardcore clinical strength agents are mentioned

like what they give in the hospital (which is not average)

Drug Interactions:
Acidifying agents

Gastrointestinal acidifying agents

(guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCI, ascorbic acid, etc.) lower

absorption of amphetamines. (NO OJ or Vitamin C mentioned) ascorbic acid is pure and highly concentrated form of vitamin C. you can not buy this from the grocery store.

Urinary acidifying agents

—These agents (ammonium chloride, sodium acid

phosphate, etc.) increase the concentration of the ionized species of the

amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both groups of

agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines.

Please stop listening to others who are echoing this stuff around

including some nutritionist (no offense because some chem background is needed)

not common sense which some used to "predict pH conditions"

Does not have to be (acid---->acidify)
Does not have to be (alkaline--->alkalizes)
less tweeting and you know u can dance, lohan, recent basket ball player decision.. which many are experts in. if you read throug all this post. you will benefit from it one day more that all the redic news that the media is OCDying about.

acid raid. because rivers and oceans have buffering capacity they were able to neutralize the effect of acid rain and not be acidified disturbing the whole ecosystem.

so the effect of acid rain in the beginning is actually alkaline because buffering goes little bit further that the acid then slows down and stops so the result is slightly increase in pH as a result of acid rain

(if its a pure water in a beaker when you add acid pH goes down making it acidic)
but the oceans are not pure water.

However, with more acid rain the buffering capacity of the oceans reaches its maximum and start to go the other way becoming acidic and that what is happening now.

lots of acidic rain..acidify oceans, lots of minerals dissolve (like the kidney stone)

increasing dissolved salt concentration and salty water has a lower boiling point (salt to melt the ice on the highways) ice caps melt water level goes up causing flooding

ice caps melting means temperature goes up...
..and that causes a chain reaction that causes all the environmental problems that we are facing.

all that because of acid rain. imagine that's one problem of many that we are facing...

anyways, thats my point of view.

if you disagree or ...respecto

i apologize if this post gets deleted as it may be offensive to some and cary a point of view. I understand and agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (12-25-10)
Old 11-15-10, 06:13 AM

frigg is on a distinguished road

I've heard about the orange juice thing as well, I didn't realize it was because of the acidity though- there's a lot of other things people drink that are much more acidic- like coke. I kind of assumed the thing with orange juice was because the anti-oxidants would combat the toxins in the body and thus also the meds. I realize this is not a well thought out theory, yet I drink orange juice at night when I get off my medication. I imagine that it's full of anti-oxidants and cleanses the body from toxins. I visualize the meds getting flushed out with the juice, leaving my body fresh and healthy. It might be all in my mind, but placebo is a powerful thing
Old 11-19-10, 03:10 PM
Contributor

river09 will become famous soon enough

just a quick ques. cause it seems to relate with the urinary ph...for a few months now my urine has smelled different...i think its like a concentrated or ammonia smell....is this from the meds...adderall, wellbutrin. its not uti or anything cause i had that checked. i hate it and am freaked.