ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-26-10, 06:00 PM

lled is on a distinguished road
Adderall causing anxiety

After searching endlessly for someone on the internet with a set of symptoms similar to mine, I figured I'd make an account, describe my symptoms, and start a thread here.

I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until last year (I'm 25 now). When I was initially diagnosed, I was given Vyvanse, which I took for a few months, then I was switched to Adderall.

The problem I've had with both of them is, when I take them in too low of a dose, I get anxiety instead of the intended effect, and the minimum dose for me to become focused instead of anxious is ever increasing. I have tried both magnesium and B vitamin supplements to combat this, both have been mostly ineffective. I've even tried a week long "adderall holiday", which seemed to reduce my tolerance for 1-2 days before it was back in full force.

While not taking Adderall causes me to get a small amount of anxiety for a day or so, a too-low dose is actually worse than not taking it at all for me.

My doctor has increased my dose twice to combat this, and assures me the anxiety is temporary; its been several months and its not getting better.

My additional side effects include weight loss (I am overweight anyway, and trying to diet as well, so maybe not a true side effect?) and reduced sexual desire.

When the Adderall is working correctly and I'm on a high enough dose, I feel great, motivated and interested in life; does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the anxiety or what I can do to get the benefits of the drug without having to deal with the anxiety problems?
Old 07-26-10, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall causing anxiety

How high is your current dose?
Old 07-26-10, 06:06 PM

I am currently on 15mg XR 2x/day, battling with the insurance company to approve 20mg XR 2x/day
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lled View Post
I am currently on 15mg XR 2x/day, battling with the insurance company to approve 20mg XR 2x/day
Adderall isn't that expensive; can you try a higher dose by paying out of pocket? Also, if Adderall is causing unwanted side-effects (anxiety) you may respond better to a methylphenidate based medication (Ritalin, Concerta, etc).
Old 07-26-10, 06:23 PM

MrSelf-Destruct is on a distinguished road

My out of pocket cost for 90 20 mg IR Adderall is about $40.00 at costco pharmacy no insurance. Ritalin caused me bad anxiety, and essentially made me want to die coming down from it. If adderall is givin u anxiety i'd b cautious about methyl. everyones diff. though.
Old 07-26-10, 06:36 PM

Walgreens wanted almost $400 for 60 20mg XR's (generic, without insurance)
Old 07-27-10, 12:14 PM

Just tried Costco and Walmart, both want $280+
Old 07-27-10, 01:39 PM

kdrifter440 is on a distinguished road

You keep talking about a higher dose... do you think a higher dose is going to help your anxiety? My guess would be a higher dose is going to make it worse

I think all ADHD meds make people "anxious" I think people confuse being anxious and having anxiety.

I thought I new what Anxiety was until I was switched to Concerta I had to go to the ER I thought I was going to Die
Old 07-27-10, 03:34 PM

I know taking a higher dose reduces the anxiety
Old 07-27-10, 05:52 PM

Thanked 17,399 Times in 7,271 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite possible that there's a low end threshold for Adderall and anxiety. For me, Adderall alone gave me horrible anxiety, but combined with an SSRI it was perfect. If your dose continues to go up in order to stave off the anxiety, you might want to talk to your doctor about a different formulation (not all amphetamines work the same way for everyone) or adding something to counteract the anxiety. If you can avoid that second one, that's probably better, but don't rule it out as a possibility.
Old 07-25-14, 01:55 AM

immago will become famous soon enough

Wow, I wish I new how this turned out. I seem to have the same problem. When I first started at 20mg XR I had no anxiety. Now on day 5, and 6, of Adderall I have a little anxiety. Not much (2, or 3, on a scale of 1 to 10), but enough to be annoying. I wonder if it's because I'm getting a cold. I notice my glands are sore, and I'm getting a cold, and for some reason I feel like it's my heart rate, but my heart rate is well within a safe range. 75-90 bpm.

Interesting how I'm getting anxiety even though I've quickly become tolerant. At day 7 the Adderall isn't doing much for my symptoms, but it makes me somewhat anxious while I'm coming down from it.

It's pretty clear to me that I need to up my dose, likely by 10-20mg, in order to have relief from my symptoms. However, once I become somewhat tolerant will the anxiety come back again? And will it be worse than before, because I'm taking more?
Old 07-25-14, 02:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Laserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the rough

I have anxiety and have been on anxiety medication far longer than Adderall. I take beta-blocker (Metoprolol) and a benzodiazepine (chlordiazepoxide).
'I drink it [Champagne] when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty.' Madame Bollinger
Old 07-25-14, 03:19 PM

immago will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserbeak View Post
I have anxiety and have been on anxiety medication far longer than Adderall. I take beta-blocker (Metoprolol) and a benzodiazepine (chlordiazepoxide).
I assume that when you started Adderall you didn't struggle with anxiety, right?

My anxiety on Adderall is so moderate, and only last about an hour. I can't pinpoint its cause, except that my neck feel sore, and I happen to be getting a cold and my glands are swollen.
Old 07-25-14, 06:13 PM

jaltb4k is on a distinguished road

dieting and adderall together.....especially xr is going to create anxiety no matter what imho. might try switching to standard release 2x times a day.