ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-28-10, 10:24 AM

VisibleKinda is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Turbo metabolism -- Meds last for just ONE HOUR?!

I'm currently taking Ritalin 10mg and although it's helped me just a tad (just a tad), the most disheartening part about it is that it lasts for only one hour.

So even if I get bumped up to three doses a day, no matter how high it is, I only have three hours of being medicated, when there is so much to do in a day. It's disheartening, annoying because I have to strategically time my doses at JUST the right moment in order to get any benefit out of taking them.

I would say that it's better to have meds than not have them at all, but at the moment it's like a dangling carrot.

Has anyone experienced this? What are my options? I have a feeling that I'll have to try another medication somewhere down the line, which isn't nice because I live in the UK and we don't have as many alternative options. So I was kind of banking on the ritalin working perfectly.

I know there's long lasting Ritalin (Which I'm not sure is available here), but I seem to read nothing but bad experiences with it.

I need your help, guys =(
Old 07-28-10, 10:46 AM

Kel87 will become famous soon enough
Re: Turbo metabolism -- Meds last for just ONE HOUR?!

I just started yesterday on 20mg of generic long lasting ritalin once a day and it looks like its only helping me for 4 hours and IM frustrated. I know how you feel. Its like you finally know that awesome feeling of being able to concentrate and its taken away from you most of the day. Its slightly depressing. My doctor wants me to try it out a month but I think I may only go a week before he'll see me again.. O.o
Old 07-28-10, 10:49 AM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

Try talking to your doctor. If 10mg works for you, but only for an hour, get a prescription for 20mg 3x day. Then break them in half and take 6 x 10mg doses. Timing those right should give you around 8 hours or so of coverage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DADHD For This Useful Post:
OnlyMe (08-03-10), String (07-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-10, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleKinda View Post
I'm currently taking Ritalin 10mg and although it's helped me just a tad (just a tad), the most disheartening part about it is that it lasts for only one hour.

So even if I get bumped up to three doses a day, no matter how high it is, I only have three hours of being medicated, when there is so much to do in a day. It's disheartening, annoying because I have to strategically time my doses at JUST the right moment in order to get any benefit out of taking them.

I would say that it's better to have meds than not have them at all, but at the moment it's like a dangling carrot.

Has anyone experienced this? What are my options? I have a feeling that I'll have to try another medication somewhere down the line, which isn't nice because I live in the UK and we don't have as many alternative options. So I was kind of banking on the ritalin working perfectly.

I know there's long lasting Ritalin (Which I'm not sure is available here), but I seem to read nothing but bad experiences with it.

If you can get am amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine, etc) that will likely last much longer. However, if you are limited to methylphenidate (Ritalin, etc) you could try getting one with a time release (Concerta and Daytrana are the best but most expensive). Alternatively, you could do as the other poster said, and get enough medication to dose once every couple of hours.
Old 08-03-10, 05:22 AM

sPacie~Gracie is on a distinguished road

I have the turbo metabolism too and found Daytrana petch to work awesome for me. It last lot longer and I don't feel jittery when I remove the patch after a few long hrs. I've lasted up to 12 hrs and ne problems its been 2 weeks so happy with this patch. I'm 38 and I take the 30mg patch
OnlyMe (08-03-10)
Old 08-27-10, 08:30 AM

fgm1 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, brother. My "solution" was Dextroamphetamine. I have to be perfectly honest and say that Ritalin wasn't really effective for me. Well, it was ok, but alot of downsides too.

- I had to take a pill every 50-60 minutes - WOW! That was about 8-10 dosages a day!
- My emotions started to fade
- Mini-depression at the end of the day

I'm now on Dextroamphetamines, which is a far better thing for me. The medicine is active for about 3.5~ hours instead of the suggested 5-6~ hours, but it's a big improvement compared to Ritalin (or any other Methylphenidate for that matter). I suggest trying Dextro if that's a possibility.
Old 08-27-10, 12:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisibleKinda View Post

Are you saying you are only taking one pill a day of regular release Ritalin? If so, it is way too early to judge - the good news is you do feel an effect from one pill. When we take medication regularly, there is a residual effect through the day. Some of us describe it as medication preventing the snowball effect that often ends a day badly.

When will you start taking regular doses (3 or four hours apart)?

Phaedrus

Old 08-27-10, 04:40 PM

sprite has disabled reputation

I found the instant release ritalin to be very short acting for me as well. I hated that the medication was constantly wearing off and I didn't like having to take meds so many times a day.Now I take ritalin SR (sustained-release) and I love it. It's so smooth. I take the first pill in the morning when I get up and then the second pill about 6 hours later. So far I haven't been taking a third dose later in the day although my prescription allows for it. (The pills are 20 mg each and I can take 3 a day so up to 60 mg).

I know a lot of people don't like the SR and find it isn't effective. So I guess I'm in the minority but I'm so glad it works for me. I ended up on ritalin SR because it's the only long-acting ritalin my current insurance plan covers. I was disappointed when I first found out it was the only option because I'd read a lot of negative reviews about the SR. But it's been a great med for me.
Old 08-29-10, 05:49 PM

newfiechaos29 is on a distinguished road

I was just diagnosed about a month ago and I am taking 10mg of instant release ritalin 3 times a day. At first it worked really well now i am really not getting alot of effect from it at all. What would the doctor do in this case. I'm fidgetting all day and nothing keeps my attention, especiallly things I have to do like house work.. I HATE it.. boring..LOL I dunno I have the same problem as the guy who wrote this post :S
Old 08-29-10, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiechaos29 View Post
I was just diagnosed about a month ago and I am taking 10mg of instant release ritalin 3 times a day. At first it worked really well now i am really not getting alot of effect from it at all. What would the doctor do in this case. I'm fidgetting all day and nothing keeps my attention, especiallly things I have to do like house work.. I HATE it.. boring..LOL I dunno I have the same problem as the guy who wrote this post :S
Are you saying that you really felt like doing housework when you first started taking Ritalin?

Phaedrus