ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-28-10, 08:54 PM
Jr Member

anephew is on a distinguished road
Just started adderall a week ago. Feeling stressed, serious, and irritable at times?

Hi all,

I've been taking 20mg of adderall IR (generic Barr for the curious) once a day for about a week now. I previously used strattera before but i couldn't handle the side effects. So far adderall is working great for me. My thoughts are more organized, i can stay focused, I am no longer procrastinating as much, and I am a much better listener. Only thing is, after I take it, my heart beats faster and I feel more stressed out than usual. Which is odd because i'm never stressed! I've become more serious too, and if someone distracts me from my mission I get angry. Sometimes I'll also get a tad upset over things, which doesn't normally happen to me. The meds only work for about 3 hours, and the crash is tolerable when i drink enough water and eat a snack. During come down periods, my body feels mildly heavy and distant-- feels as if i'm kind of "stoned" and a foot away from my body.

So are these side effects normal and how soon can i expect them to go away? I recently left a voicemail to my doc asking for XR instead of IR, do you think these symptoms will get better on the XR? I really like adderall spare these side effects, so I hope I don't have to switch to a different med...
Old 07-28-10, 10:18 PM
Contributor

fropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the roughfropunka is a jewel in the rough
Re: Just started adderall a week ago. Feeling stressed, serious, and irritable at tim

Your dose is probably too high, or it might be giving you anxiety.

Maybe both!

I take Adderall IR 10 mg 3x a day and it makes me calm and focused.

If I were though...I'd be Cashews.

But Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!!-vercua salt
Old 07-28-10, 10:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road
Re: Just started adderall a week ago. Feeling stressed, serious, and irritable at tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephew View Post
Hi all,

I've been taking 20mg of adderall IR (generic Barr for the curious) once a day for about a week now. I previously used strattera before but i couldn't handle the side effects. So far adderall is working great for me. My thoughts are more organized, i can stay focused, I am no longer procrastinating as much, and I am a much better listener. Only thing is, after I take it, my heart beats faster and I feel more stressed out than usual. Which is odd because i'm never stressed! I've become more serious too, and if someone distracts me from my mission I get angry. Sometimes I'll also get a tad upset over things, which doesn't normally happen to me. The meds only work for about 3 hours, and the crash is tolerable when i drink enough water and eat a snack. During come down periods, my body feels mildly heavy and distant-- feels as if i'm kind of "stoned" and a foot away from my body.

So are these side effects normal and how soon can i expect them to go away? I recently left a voicemail to my doc asking for XR instead of IR, do you think these symptoms will get better on the XR? I really like adderall spare these side effects, so I hope I don't have to switch to a different med...
Please elaborate more about your dosing schedule (20 mg split up or all at once?).

Side effects tend to dissipate with time although if they are problematic for you, try a lower dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to mezzanine For This Useful Post:
Hearty Soul (08-03-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-10, 11:07 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Please elaborate more about your dosing schedule (20 mg split up or all at once?).
It's just one tablet of 20mg at once. I take it once a day. I do not crush it, split it or anything.

I think it is giving me anxiety, but the question is will it go away after awhile?
Old 07-28-10, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephew View Post
It's just one tablet of 20mg at once. I take it once a day. I do not crush it, split it or anything.

I think it is giving me anxiety, but the question is will it go away after awhile?
It could go away as your body gets used to it.

But I agree with the idea of getting a good pill splitter and spreading out the dose by 4-5 hours and see how that works for you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Hearty Soul (08-03-10)
Old 07-29-10, 12:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

mezzanine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
It could go away as your body gets used to it.

But I agree with the idea of getting a good pill splitter and spreading out the dose by 4-5 hours and see how that works for you.
Agreed. Split the dose.
Old 07-30-10, 06:21 PM

die sonne maus is on a distinguished road

I'm getting the same symptoms and I'm on 20mg of XR split thru the day.
Old 07-30-10, 09:42 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

I'm also taking 20mg of IR (2-3x/day), but I also take Klonopin which helps with the anxiety. I've never tried XR. However, I noticed that I was a lot more irritable in the beginning, but it went away more or less after a while. Maybe your body is still adjusting to the medication. I agree that if you are feeling a little off, food and water tends to help (it's easy to forget to eat, and I've always been the sort of person who gets irritable if I don't eat for a long time, probably due to low blood sugar).

I can relate to the distraction and the anger. However, if you just try to engage in the task again, you will soon go into hyperfocus mode (just remind yourself of this whenever you feel irritated - I know it's hard to beat the anger)...but emotions are transitory...Easier said than done, of course, but Adderall can work in funny ways.

Adderall can increase anxiety. Have you tried meditating on it? With my first dose, I always slip back into bed for 30 min. and sort of meditate while I wait for it to kick in. It can be rather euphoric. And then I am sort of just alert (for the most part, although I still need a cup of coffee) and can go about my day. Meditation helped me through some tough times when I was having panic attacks/dealing with rebound anxiety from Ativan. If focusing on your breathing doesn't help, you can try "listening meditation," where you pay attention to the sounds around you mindfully, without judging them/attaching any meaning or emotion to them, and just being aware of the sounds. This can help with panic sometimes, since overbreathing can exacerberate the symptoms.

I hope the situation gets better for you. Hang in there - I was worried about the side effects of Adderall for a while, but it got better with time. But I would also recommend discussing your dosage with your doc.
Old 08-03-10, 03:29 AM
Jr Member

Is the feeling buzzed and heavy body sensation normal or should i ask the doc about this? As i type this my hands are shaking... I always get this on the adderall, even during the crash.

Should I try CorePharma instead of Barr?

UPDATE: i did split the pill as suggested. 10mg in the morning, then 3 or 4 hours later, 10 mg again. When i did this, it didn't work. it was like I had not taken anything.

I sure hope the anxiety and irritability goes away because adderall helps me so much. If it does not go away after awhile, do you think I should take an anxiety medication, or just switch to a different stimulant? I will definitely discuss this with my doctor, but I would like your suggestions as well.

As for the meditation advice, thank you so much for posting that as i love to meditate when I can (but i can never clear my mind as much as i would like thanks to the add lol). I haven't meditated since starting the meds, and i think you're right - meditating will hopefully help me to understand and control the irritability and stress lol.

Sorry if my post it too long, or vague... If you couldn't tell, my adderall has worn off ha ha.
Old 08-03-10, 05:46 PM
Jr Member

brjmhome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyscrawler View Post
I'm also taking 20mg of IR (2-3x/day), but I also take Klonopin which helps with the anxiety. I've never tried XR. However, I noticed that I was a lot more irritable in the beginning, but it went away more or less after a while. Maybe your body is still adjusting to the medication. I agree that if you are feeling a little off, food and water tends to help (it's easy to forget to eat, and I've always been the sort of person who gets irritable if I don't eat for a long time, probably due to low blood sugar).

I can relate to the distraction and the anger. However, if you just try to engage in the task again, you will soon go into hyperfocus mode (just remind yourself of this whenever you feel irritated - I know it's hard to beat the anger)...but emotions are transitory...Easier said than done, of course, but Adderall can work in funny ways.

Adderall can increase anxiety. Have you tried meditating on it? With my first dose, I always slip back into bed for 30 min. and sort of meditate while I wait for it to kick in. It can be rather euphoric. And then I am sort of just alert (for the most part, although I still need a cup of coffee) and can go about my day. Meditation helped me through some tough times when I was having panic attacks/dealing with rebound anxiety from Ativan. If focusing on your breathing doesn't help, you can try "listening meditation," where you pay attention to the sounds around you mindfully, without judging them/attaching any meaning or emotion to them, and just being aware of the sounds. This can help with panic sometimes, since overbreathing can exacerberate the symptoms.

I hope the situation gets better for you. Hang in there - I was worried about the side effects of Adderall for a while, but it got better with time. But I would also recommend discussing your dosage with your doc.
I am very interested in how often / how much klonopin you take. I have in the past taken Valium which in my opinion is far more tolerable than Ativan or Xanax, however I have not taken a benzo while on the Adderall. For me, Adderall makes a significant difference in my life but I can't handle the anxiety of the comedown. I think if I could take a 10 mg valium in the evening to mellow me out for sleep, it would be perfect. I also take seroquel at night for sleep but when I take Adderall, it is NOT effective at all...as of now, I discontinued my Adderall use because I don't know how to handle the anxiety of the comedown and i'm really considering talking to my doc about a valium script for the comedown in the evening.
Old 08-03-10, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

eclare is just really niceeclare is just really niceeclare is just really niceeclare is just really nice

Quote:
UPDATE: i did split the pill as suggested. 10mg in the morning, then 3 or 4 hours later, 10 mg again. When i did this, it didn't work. it was like I had not taken anything.
This is probably counterintuitive, but I wonder if it might help to drink a very small glass of orange juice when you take your 20mg dose. If I understand the mechanism correctly, the vitamin C will slow the uptake of the amphetamines into your system. So you'll still be getting the full 20mg dose, but it won't hit you as suddenly.

I would also consider trying XR. I find it a much smoother ride than the IR, although in my case that's not always a good thing.
Old 08-04-10, 08:21 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjmhome View Post
I am very interested in how often / how much klonopin you take. I have in the past taken Valium which in my opinion is far more tolerable than Ativan or Xanax, however I have not taken a benzo while on the Adderall. For me, Adderall makes a significant difference in my life but I can't handle the anxiety of the comedown. I think if I could take a 10 mg valium in the evening to mellow me out for sleep, it would be perfect. I also take seroquel at night for sleep but when I take Adderall, it is NOT effective at all...as of now, I discontinued my Adderall use because I don't know how to handle the anxiety of the comedown and i'm really considering talking to my doc about a valium script for the comedown in the evening.
Did I just respond to your post in another thread? Sounds similar, so sorry this is redundant. I take 1 mg of Klonopin 2x/day. So not "as needed." I actually split each dose up into two, because I worry that it will cause sleepiness that might interfere with the Adderall, but I don't know if this is true or not. What sorts of anxiety symptoms do you experience with the comedown?

Yeah, I had a bad experience with Ativan in that it wore off too quickly and caused me rebound anxiety. It was rather scary and problematic. The Klonopin so far has been helpful to me.
Old 08-04-10, 08:23 PM
Contributor

Actually, I often drink some OJ before bed, to "rid" the amphetamines in my system. I don't know if this actually helps or not, or helps with the comedown but I figured it might.