ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-09-10, 11:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

dm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura aboutdm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura about
Scared to find another job.

I'm scared to find another job because all of them have ended so poorly. My first job ended up with me quitting because my manager yelled at me because I was having a hard time learning the job. My second job ended because my manager made fun of me behind my back about how I didn't know anything about produce. My third job's hours got cut severely to the point where it is wasn't worth going. My fourth job ended because my anxiety was so high I couldn't work without feeling insane. My fifth job ended when my boss fired me because I wasn't catching on and said I was "*****ing" about things. We didn't get along. My sixth job ended with the owner closing the store out of nowhere and not paying me my deserved 800 dollars. My seventh job ended when I was told I was doing a good job on everything and then was bumped down to standing in the sun for 8 hours a day holding a sign. I quit. It wasn't worth it. My mom didn't like that I quit and was ****ed at me and told me I needed to find another job. Almost any job where there is pressure and people involved, I've sucked at it. Except for pizza jobs. I like pizza jobs. I'm better at them.

I have no way to get medication unless Obama's bill goes into effect in September. Then I will be back on health insurance. I want to go knocking on doors asking for odd jobs but I'm scared of the people's responses. I've thought about looking into T-shirt design. I have some experience with graphics but nothing fancy. Also I can fix computers but I don't have a cellphone for contact (I'd have to use house phone). I've been trying to think of other means of getting money legally independent of the job market.

Sigh. I need help.
Old 08-09-10, 11:45 AM

navyblue is on a distinguished road
Re: Scared to find another job.

I am really sorry to hear of the current situation that you are in. I can absolutely, totally, and completely relate to everything you have just said. I really couldn't have said it any better. My anxiety has me frozen to the point that when I start to look for a job, I like freeze, and then I start doing something else. Its a cycle. Also, try not to work for small companies if you can. When you work for a small company you become more the center of attention.

Doing your own thing may be better for you. Its harder than an actual job, and it does take more work. But if you enjoy it, then none of that will matter to you. PC repair is a good field to get into. With the economy as bad as it is, people would rather pay to get something fixed/repaired than buy new. And T-shirt design is also a good idea, although I can see more immediate money coming from the computer repair business. What about computer technical support (by phone) for a large company?
Old 08-09-10, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

dm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura aboutdm_laugh3r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyblue View Post
I am really sorry to hear of the current situation that you are in. I can absolutely, totally, and completely relate to everything you have just said. I really couldn't have said it any better. My anxiety has me frozen to the point that when I start to look for a job, I like freeze, and then I start doing something else. Its a cycle. Also, try not to work for small companies if you can. When you work for a small company you become more the center of attention.

Doing your own thing may be better for you. Its harder than an actual job, and it does take more work. But if you enjoy it, then none of that will matter to you. PC repair is a good field to get into. With the economy as bad as it is, people would rather pay to get something fixed/repaired than buy new. And T-shirt design is also a good idea, although I can see more immediate money coming from the computer repair business. What about computer technical support (by phone) for a large company?
Companies want people with degrees.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-10, 12:00 PM

navyblue is on a distinguished road

A strong portfolio and/or a computer repair certification should be all you need. Having a degree is proving to be less and less a requirement today. Companies know that just because you have a degree doesn't mean you have the hands-on aspect. To them degree = theory based knowledge. Experience trumps having a degree 100% of the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to navyblue For This Useful Post:
glebo (08-11-10)
Old 08-09-10, 12:04 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried temp agencies?
you may get something suitable through temping.

really it seems that with small companies in the types of jobs you've been doing:

This is generalizing and please forgive this remark - there are a lot of employers who are not particularly *smart* - I mean in the "knowledge loving" way - yet very "competent" (you'd have to be; running a small business is very hard) and, at the same time, on a kind of a power trip.

(I used to work in a mall - I saw and met all kind of manager types, because I worked in one of those open kiosque kind of things. But this was over 20 years ago).

sorry to hear about that business just closing and not paying! that happened to me once too. Came in to work and the office was empty! I took the guy to labor court though. Photographic memory .
Old 08-09-10, 01:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

jf0417 is a jewel in the roughjf0417 is a jewel in the roughjf0417 is a jewel in the rough

Just for now, have you checked the ETC and part time jobs listing on your local Craigslist site?

I'm sure you have, and this is probably redundant, but sometimes they need people for fixed amounts of time, doing work that doesn't really involve pressure and there's an end i sight so its easier to work till completion, and then you don't have to worry about it...or they could even call you back for future work.

Its not stable and probably not ideal but it could be an idea. I picked up odd jobs for a while when my job was only part time and needed the money, and CL helped me a ton in doing that.
Old 08-12-10, 11:56 AM
Jr Member

Missing Link will become famous soon enough

@ OP
I completely empathize with your situation as my own is very dire and nearly of the same caliber with circumstantial differences of course. I propose the exact same question to my folks and friends. What I receive is what you have received thus far - the answer that the mainstream has to offer those in our position. A non answer that not only voids the point of the entire post, but disheartens us furthermore.

I'm jobless, degreeless, and fighting against becoming homeless. While juggling my deteriorating social and family life, I'm expected to just 'go out and get' as though it's always been that simple for us.

Is there a place for us displaced aspiring workers who have swallowed failure more times than actual food because of something we don't know how to control? I'm looking, questioning, and hoping that there's an answer.

Recent Considerations for me: Moving from Georgia to a state where Medical Marijuana is legal and trying to get a job at one of those dispenseries.

Probably a good place to halt before my train of thought runs wild. If you find something realistic for this increasingly common situation, please PLEASE share.

- Formerly a mortal supressed by medication.
- Now the world shall see my TRUE FORM!!..
- ... now where'd I put my keys ... ?

Last edited by Missing Link; 08-12-10 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: OCD
Old 08-24-10, 07:39 AM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold

If you like pizza jobs, get one. Build up your confidence and social skills again, then tackle the job market. It is so hard to look for a job and keep up with follow ups and everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad83 For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (09-30-10)
Old 09-25-10, 11:39 PM

jake9777 is on a distinguished road

"I'm scared to find another job because all of them have ended so poorly. "

I so hear you... why keep trying if you keep getting the same results. Job after job after job, all end up in failures. It's really depressing. The fact that we get hired means that the bosses see potential in us... but we keep failing. I have disappointed so many bosses who are successful businessmen. The last one was the 6th one. I do not want to disappoint another boss. I do not want to disappoint myself.
Old 09-30-10, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

The key for you is to examine what about the pizza jobs you like, why do enjoy it? Do you prefer to work alone? Minimimal contact with the customer? Less responsibility? I would take a long look at that job and the aspects of it. Money isn't everything, if you can be reasonably happy in a job...that is priceless.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
FlightyBroad (12-31-13)