ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-09-10, 03:26 PM

Hey Man is on a distinguished road
Strattera Vs. Vyvanse

I am curious if anyone has tried both medications and how they compared in terms of dealing with various ADD issues. In addition, what is the mg difference between both ala 40mg of Strattera equals such and such of Vyvanse.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-10, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strattera Vs. Vyvanse

It's virtually impossible to set up a milligram to milligram comparison for Strattera and Vyvanse because they are two completely different drugs with completely different mechanisms of action and completely different effects.

I haven't been on either drug, though, so I can't really offer much more beyond that.
Hearty Soul (08-09-10)
Old 08-09-10, 03:52 PM
Contributor

Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
It's virtually impossible to set up a milligram to milligram comparison for Strattera and Vyvanse because they are two completely different drugs with completely different mechanisms of action and completely different effects.

Yes, you cannot compare milligramwise between Vyvanse and Strattera.

I took Vyvanse and it was wonderful the first 5 days on 30 mgs. Then, nothing! 50 mgs was OK yet my agitation, pulse, BP increased.
I could not tolerate my low frustration level on 60 mgs, which also caused me palpitations and chest pains at night.

Strattera is not a stimulant...Strattera causes an increase in the brain of levels of the hormone known as Norepinephrine, and it
indirectly elevates Dopamine brain levels which will improve some symptoms of ADHD.

I just started Strattera hoping my HR and BP will not be affected as when I was on Vyvanse. I heard lots of successful stories on Strattera sticky,
and I am waiting patiently for it to start its effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hearty Soul For This Useful Post:
myvinyl333 (09-10-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

myvinyl333 will become famous soon enough
Arrow Re: Strattera Vs. Vyvanse

I am on 25MG of Strattera, on my way to 80MG. Thus far it seems to be addressing some of the ADHD symptoms. Prior to that I was on Vyvanse (I have a lot of post on my experiences). Vyvanse was a wonder drug for about one month. Then all hell broke loose do to various factors such as lack of sleep and nutrition on my part... So I am trying a non stimulant. Hope that helps.
jorge
Old 09-11-10, 05:14 AM

future_hon is on a distinguished road

I recently decided to quit Strattera. It was great in the beginning but the positive effects quickly wore off. I was left with nothing but side effects which were not limited to increased irritability, increased anxiety, nausea, and an increase in blood pressure. I see my pdoc in another two weeks and I'm going to demand to be put on something else. I gave it a solid 4 months and I'm glad to be off it.

I'm not trying to steer you away from Strattera, there are as many success stories as there are failures. Strattera was my first ADHD med and it just turns out that it wasn't for me. Vyvanse is what I am going to request as my next med since it's time released and has a lower risk of abuse.
Old 09-11-10, 03:12 PM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

I do not mean to be flippant(yes, I do), Vyvanse works, Stratt is side effects.
There is no meaningful comparison in mg between Strat and Vyvanse. On the other hand Vyvanse and other stims will let you know in a few days if things are going to work out. The Anti-deps and strattera can take months. In that time the side effects are there for months also. The side effects of strat took almost a year and 2 corrective meds to reverse the side effects. There is a reason why most pdocs now try strat as a 3rd or 4th drug of choice. Non-pdocs try it as a first or second choice because of drug seekers and fast talking drug reps.
I was fortunate to overhear a drug sales rep pitch in my docs office. Amazing how "good" strat is and how dismissive she was when doc asked about side effects. When she was asked about sexual side effects, "Well, we all have to decide what is important, now don't we?" was her response. I guess going to the bathroom is a choice also.
Anyway, strat seems to have fewer happy customers.
Good luck...
Old 09-11-10, 03:33 PM
Contributor

dally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to alldally is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
I am curious if anyone has tried both medications and how they compared in terms of dealing with various ADD issues. In addition, what is the mg difference between both ala 40mg of Strattera equals such and such of Vyvanse.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by future_hon View Post
I recently decided to quit Strattera. It was great in the beginning but the positive effects quickly wore off. I was left with nothing but side effects which were not limited to increased irritability, increased anxiety, nausea, and an increase in blood pressure. I see my pdoc in another two weeks and I'm going to demand to be put on something else. I gave it a solid 4 months and I'm glad to be off it.

I'm not trying to steer you away from Strattera, there are as many success stories as there are failures. Strattera was my first ADHD med and it just turns out that it wasn't for me. Vyvanse is what I am going to request as my next med since it's time released and has a lower risk of abuse.

I am surprised to hear of Strattera being used as a first choice for AD/HD. My understanding from my pdoc is that it's generally a third or fourth choice. I thought Dexedrine or Vyvanse (long-acting dex), or Ritalin, Adderal or Concerta are usually tried first. I'm on Vyvanse (60mg) with an Adderal IR booster (10mg) in the afternoon. Strattera is newer, but that doesn't mean it's better.

@Future_hon, Vyvanse can be abused, it's just as addictive as any other dexedrine. The difference is that it doesn't work to snort it or use it intravenously, it has to be digested.

Every summer sun, Every winter evening, Every spring to come, Every autumn leaving, You don't need a reason. Let it all go on and on.
--Roma Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to dally For This Useful Post:
myvinyl333 (09-11-10)
Old 09-11-10, 08:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I was fortunate to overhear a drug sales rep pitch in my docs office. Amazing how "good" strat is and how dismissive she was when doc asked about side effects. When she was asked about sexual side effects, "Well, we all have to decide what is important, now don't we?" was her response. I guess going to the bathroom is a choice also.
Anyway, strat seems to have fewer happy customers.
Good luck...
Having had such a bad experience with Vyvanse (Stimulant) as my 1st drug for ADD, to finally be able to once again be able to treat my ADD with Strattera gives me hope that the stated side effects will be minor. Both drugs have provided constipation, so no real side effets as of yet.
jorge
Old 09-13-10, 08:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvinyl333 View Post
Having had such a bad experience with Vyvanse (Stimulant) as my 1st drug for ADD, to finally be able to once again be able to treat my ADD with Strattera gives me hope that the stated side effects will be minor. Both drugs have provided constipation, so no real side effets as of yet.
jorge
I am now experiencing irritability and some depression with constipation and sleep issues. This could all be related as one issue/side effect...

Now questioning Strattera use?
Old 09-13-10, 02:51 PM

00MJR is on a distinguished road

My doc put me on Strattera for my 1st ADD med. I believe he did this cause one of the few non-stimulant drugs. It seemed to work at first for about a week.. I went up to 60mg and at that point the only thing that was happening was side effects. Nothing positive. Couldn't sleep, would wake up at like 4am every night. Libido went down, impotence, ED... 3 days after quiting Strattera I was back to normal.

I then was put on Zoloft for my GAD. Which has worked wonders, but my ADD still was there.

I'm now on Vyvanse 30mg a day. Works very well for my ADD. Impulsiveness, hyperactivity has almost vanished. Only thing I have a problem with is that the 30mg only lasts me for about 7-8 hrs. Which isn't advertised for 14 hours.

Most likely a dosage increase to fix that.

-Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to 00MJR For This Useful Post:
myvinyl333 (09-13-10)
Old 09-13-10, 03:30 PM
Contributor

Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita View Post
I took Vyvanse...........
I could not tolerate my low frustration level on 60 mgs, which also caused me palpitations and chest pains at night.

......Strattera causes an increase in the brain of levels of the hormone known as Norepinephrine, and it
indirectly elevates Dopamine brain levels which will improve some symptoms of ADHD.

I just started Strattera hoping my HR and BP will not be affected as when I was on Vyvanse. ...........
As a follow up on my above post, I loved Strattera! It did not lower my tolerance to frusration as with Vyvanse. The effect was very smooth and I was happy that it took care of my anxiety. I should have stayed at 25 mg. when I noticed an improvement! Yet, instructions were to keep going up; and at 60 mg. I started having palpitations that kept increasing. I stopped it on the 24th. Palpitations went down.

Saw my pdoc and he put me back on it at 18 mg without upping it until next month.

Just my 2-cents thoughts!
Old 09-24-10, 10:18 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dally View Post

I am surprised to hear of Strattera being used as a first choice for AD/HD. My understanding from my pdoc is that it's generally a third or fourth choice. I thought Dexedrine or Vyvanse (long-acting dex), or Ritalin, Adderal or Concerta are usually tried first. I'm on Vyvanse (60mg) with an Adderal IR booster (10mg) in the afternoon. Strattera is newer, but that doesn't mean it's better.
It can be a first choice for a few reasons:

1. If the person has a mood disorder; stimulants can exacerbate or at least disrupt the predictability of moods
2. If they are in the UK; the only medicines available through the national health care system there are Strattera, Welbutrin and Concerta.
3. If Depression is a problem, as Strattera can assist with that more consistently.
Old 09-24-10, 10:28 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00MJR View Post
My doc put me on Strattera for my 1st ADD med. I believe he did this cause one of the few non-stimulant drugs. It seemed to work at first for about a week.. I went up to 60mg and at that point the only thing that was happening was side effects. Nothing positive. Couldn't sleep, would wake up at like 4am every night. Libido went down, impotence, ED... 3 days after quiting Strattera I was back to normal.

I then was put on Zoloft for my GAD. Which has worked wonders, but my ADD still was there.

I'm now on Vyvanse 30mg a day. Works very well for my ADD. Impulsiveness, hyperactivity has almost vanished. Only thing I have a problem with is that the 30mg only lasts me for about 7-8 hrs. Which isn't advertised for 14 hours.

Most likely a dosage increase to fix that.

-Matt
Matt, the same thing happened to me on Vyvanse up to 60 or 70mg. My docotor said the dosage wasn't high enough. I bumped up to 80mg a little over a month ago, and I no longer get the afternoon crash. It carries me to around 12 hrs. Are you still taking Zoloft along with Vyvanse? That's the combo my son's on, and the Zoloft has worked wonders for his anxiety as well! We're still in the titrating process of Vyvanse. He just bumped up to 30mg this past Monday. Now, we're having sleep issues.

The very first thing my doctor gave me was Strattera. It did work well for my anxiety, but that was it! I also never knew week to week (while titrating) which dose was going to make me sleepy or ramp me up. I've heard that overall, Strattera was a big disappointment in treating ADHD. I would try Intuniv for a non-stim. Is it now indicated for adults?

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 10-07-10, 07:16 PM

Computerz is on a distinguished road

I actually have just made the switch from to Vyvanse from Strattera in the past week.

Prescribed to me as my first AD/HD med, Strattera just simply was not the right choice for me. I took it in a 3 week duration (though SSNRIs are suppose to take longer to kick in), but the side-effects outweighed the current benefits of the drug for me and I could not stand having to go through them anymore (extreme sleepiness, irritability, sexual-related effects...) . Though, the first week I really did feel a lot more relaxed and calm and my anxiety nearly vanished... only for the third week to kick in and that to flip completely upside down.

Now that I'm on Vyvanse I can say that I like the change more in that it directly attends to my focus rather than taking out my anxiety first, though I am needing a ramp in dosage as it feels too low to be worthwhile at the moment.

As Strattera is a SSNRI and Vyvanse is a amphetamine, they come from completely different worlds though aiming to conquer the same problem.

- Medication differs from person to person so it really is ultimately up to you to be the decider of how well it works!
Old 10-14-10, 02:18 PM

teesix is on a distinguished road

I'm just now about to try Strattera... I've been on Vyvanse / Adderall for the past year or so, which has worked great, except for the fact that it's basically impossible for me to get an erection while it's in my system. Ritalin / Concerta doesn't have this side effect but does give me headaches.

I just hope the Strattera works for me... otherwise, it's back to a limp dick and vyvanse.